[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (for Australis UI)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
multy7

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (for Australis UI)

Post by multy7 »

Aris wrote:
multy7 wrote:How do you stop tab transparency?

In general or for specific tabs?

Well, they are all transparent now, so in general would be nice.
T_I

Post by T_I »

Aris wrote:
T_I wrote:As requested in the response of my review by Aris.

When you look at the title bar with FF 29 with the default theme and any custom theme, you get these differences.

Select default appearance and you get a blue title bar with the menu in there, while the rest of the screen is the standard clean grey.
When you select a custom appearance the top bar gets the same colour/texture as rhe rest of the window fill.

I guess firefox switched from title-bar + menu layout to a complete clean canvas and draws the title bar themselves. This is also new in FF29. It would be nice if this would also be configurable.

I would love to include screen-shots, but I have no idea how to include attachments and at the moment I'm not in the ability to post them on a site on-line. Will add them tonight when I have access to a real internet environment instead of web only.

Are you using CTRs menubar settings provided on special tab with a non-Aero visual style?

No, can't find it. Is this an extra add-on?

Aris wrote:Goto tinypic.com, upload your screen shots there and post links to them here.

Useful.

However, in the first reply you gave in this very long reply I saw indeed a title bar and menu bar, instead of both combined.
T_I

Post by T_I »

T_I wrote:No, can't find it. Is this an extra add-on?

Sorry for bothering you, found the option to re-enable the title bar. It was a ff option.
All is back to normal now. Thanks. Add-on works great. =D>
Aris

Post by Aris »

GermanKiwi wrote:Hi Aris, thanks so much for this extension, it's truly a godsend for fixing the aweful changes with Australis.

I have a couple of requests or suggestions to ask if you would consider:

1) Could you provide the ability for the status text to display in the add-on bar itself, instead of in that little pop-up in the bottom-left corner? I mean the text that appears when you hover over a link, or when a page is loading. I find the pop-up quite annoying, and it makes more sense to have that text in the add-on bar.

2) Could you make the urlbar width adjustable? I'm pretty sure that I could adjust it horizontally with previous versions of FF, by clicking a handle on the right of the urlbar and dragging left and right.

3) I'd really love to be able to place my Menu Bar below the Navigation toolbar. The UI Fixer extension was able to make the toolbar movable (prior to FF 29, at least). Are you able to use whatever trick or method was used by that extension, to achieve this?

I saw a recent answer of yours (here) where you state that making the menubar items movable is possible, but breaks the profile. I wonder if the UI Fixer extension might be using a method that you aren't aware of but could replicate? After all, that extension could get it to work without breaking the profile, and it passed Mozilla's reviews! :)

Another idea I had, is instead of simply making the menubar "items" movable (ie. to move the menus away from the Menu Bar and add them to another toolbar) - what about simply the option to change the order of the Menu Bar itself, so that it appears below the Navigation Bar (but without removing any content *from* the menu bar)? Would that work? I can still safely add other buttons *to* the Menu Bar, so they appear next to the menus themselves, so that would work just fine if the entire bar simply appeared below the Nav Bar (and after all, it's already possible for you to move the Tab Bar below everything else, so I hope it's also possible to change the order of the Menu Bar too).

Thanks for your consideration and for making this extension so awesome!

1) Staus-4-Evar does a good job providing this feature.

2) You are still able to change urlbar size that way, if it is followed by search bar. A setting for this would probably not be stable, but you can test it yourself in Stylish:

Code: Select all

#urlbar-container {
  min-width:200px !important;
  max-width:400px !important;
}

3) The problem is Australis. Interface scripts search for some ids that must be in certain locations or it breaks. You can't compare Australis to pre-Australis, because almost everything changed.

You see what happened when I changed this add-ons ids on the last betas or when I made the status bar shim movable in 1.1.8. Imaging what happens, when people stat asking what they can not even enter customizing mode, add-ons manager or open any website?

Your suggestion to change toolbar order might work, but I would prefer to provide a css code instead of adding official support to it to CTR.

Code: Select all

/* AGENT_SHEET */
   #print-preview-toolbar,
   #printedit-toolbar,
   #titlebar {
     -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important;
   }
   #TabsToolbar {
     -moz-box-ordinal-group: 1 !important;
        margin-top:20px !important;
   }
   #nav-bar {
     -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2 !important;
   }
   #toolbar-menubar {
     -moz-box-ordinal-group: 3 !important;
        margin-top:0px !important;
   }
    #ctraddon_extra-bar {
     -moz-box-ordinal-group: 4 !important;
   }
   #PersonalToolbar {
     -moz-box-ordinal-group: 5 !important;
   }
   #main-window[tabsintitlebar][defaultfxtheme="true"] #titlebar:not([hidden]) ~ * #toolbar-menubar {
     -moz-margin-start: 0px !important;
   }

#main-window[tabsintitlebar][defaultfxtheme="true"][customizing][sizemode="maximized"] #titlebar:not([hidden]) ~ * #toolbar-menubar {
     -moz-margin-start: 0px !important;
   }

@media all and (-moz-windows-theme:aero) {
      #main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #toolbar-menubar:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
        background: #dbeaf9 !important;
      }
   }

@media not all and (-moz-windows-theme:aero) {

background: -moz-Dialog !important;
      }
   }

@media all and (-moz-windows-glass) {   
        border-left: 1px solid hsla(209,67%,12%,0.35) !important;
        border-right: 1px solid hsla(209,67%,12%,0.35) !important;
        background-clip: padding-box !important;
       }
   }

Des_Nerger wrote:...
Is it a bug? Can I fix it?

I have to test things first.

multy7 wrote:
Well, they are all transparent now, so in general would be nice.

They are all transparent, when you are using CTR squared tabs?

Provide a screenshot.

T_I wrote:
T_I wrote:No, can't find it. Is this an extra add-on?

Sorry for bothering you, found the option to re-enable the title bar. It was a ff option.
All is back to normal now. Thanks. Add-on works great. =D>

Good to hear.
elma

Post by elma »

Thanks for the great extension. The main reason I added is to see if it would let me undock reload button from navigation toolbar so I can put reload where it belongs: Next to the back and forward arrows. No idea what Mozilla was thinking! Unfortunately I can't do that or haven't figured out how with your extension. Is it possible, or is there another way?

While I'm posting, I clicked combine reload & stop buttons and it worked, but when I uncheck it they still remain combined. Even after browser restart and even laptop restart. Solution? Thanks!
multy7

Post by multy7 »

Aris wrote:They are all transparent, when you are using CTR squared tabs?

Provide a screenshot.

They are transparent with every tab setting that I could find. This is on Linux btw.

smsmith

Post by smsmith »

elma wrote:The main reason I added is to see if it would let me undock reload button from navigation toolbar so I can put reload where it belongs: Next to the back and forward arrows. No idea what Mozilla was thinking!

The reason Mozilla has given on this issue is that there were reports of people removing those buttons through the previous user customization methods or putting them on another toolbar and then later turning that toolbar off and then either forgetting what or how they did it, thus "rendering the browser unusable". So they made a conscious decision to not allow people to remove the back/forward buttons, address bar and stop/reload buttons. All of those controls were locked into one single element, so you move that whole group at a time now rather than being able to move them independently. Then they went on to say how they made the browser more customizable.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
elma

Post by elma »

Fine, users are stupid, we know this! So they docked everything. But WHY oh why would you have navigation controls separated by a long URL field?!

They could dock back/forward and reload/stop ALL next to each other on ONE side of the URL field, preferably the left. It's a usability issue, makes it much more friendly. Is there someplace Mozilla takes comments/suggestions? Thanks!

smsmith wrote:
elma wrote:The main reason I added is to see if it would let me undock reload button from navigation toolbar so I can put reload where it belongs: Next to the back and forward arrows. No idea what Mozilla was thinking!

The reason Mozilla has given on this issue is that there were reports of people removing those buttons through the previous user customization methods or putting them on another toolbar and then later turning that toolbar off and then either forgetting what or how they did it, thus "rendering the browser unusable". So they made a conscious decision to not allow people to remove the back/forward buttons, address bar and stop/reload buttons. All of those controls were locked into one single element, so you move that whole group at a time now rather than being able to move them independently. Then they went on to say how they made the browser more customizable.
merlinwisdom

Post by merlinwisdom »

Aris wrote:
merlinwisdom wrote:Excellent add-on, thank you Aris!

I'm using Version 1.1.9beta18 and there is only two things I want to remark.

First, the classic version style is buggy, unloaded tabs has rounded "background" like Australis and when you have lots of tabs open, there is some weird overlap (not like v2).

1. The tabs are not buggy, they just not compatible to TMPs colorizing mechanics (because TMP styles curved default tabs in Fx29+). If you want tab colors for non-default tab, use CTRs color options and disable TMPs colors.
Also don't set tab-width too low in TMP, because tabs in Fx29+ do not support same sizes tabs in Fx28 did.

I have disabled Tab Mix Plus colorizing mechanics (all of them: Current Tab, Unloaded Tabs, Unread Tabs, Other Tabs & Progress meter on tabs),
but I still can't set any tab colors in CTR. :(

Is something interfering or is it a bug??

I'm using CTR 1.1.9beta18 on Firefox Windows version and has these add-ons installed =

Application: Firefox 29.0 (20140421221237)
    Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

- Adblock Edge 2.1.1
    - Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.9.1
    - Add to Search Bar 2.2
    - Add-on Update Checker 2.6
    - Automatic Save Folder 1.0.4
    - BatchDownload 1.2.12
    - BetterPrivacy 1.68
    - Block site 1.1.8
    - Bookmarks Checker - check for bad links 2.3.1
    - Capture & Print 0.1.9.0
    - CheckFox 0.9.2
    - Classic Theme Restorer 1.1.9beta18
    - Configuration Mania 1.19.2014040501 (Disabled)
    - Console² 0.9
    - Controle de Scripts 1.0.3
    - Cookie Controller 3.5
    - Copy Link Name 1.3.5.3
    - Copy Plain Text 2 1.2.1
    - CuteButtons - Crystal SVG 0.3.3
    - Default Manager 2.2 (Disabled, Incompatible)
    - DOM Inspector 2.0.14 (Disabled)
    - Download Status Bar 8.9.5
    - Download YouTube Videos as MP4 1.7.18
    - DownThemAll! 2.0.16
    - eCleaner 1.4 (Disabled)
    - Empty Cache Button 2.5
    - Extension List Dumper 1.15.2
    - FEBE 7.3.0.1
    - Generic CSS Loader 2 0.2.5
    - Ghostery 5.2.1
    - Google/Yandex search link fix 1.4.1
    - Link Alert 1.0.2
    - Linkification 1.3.9
    - Long URL Please 0.5.1
    - Menu Editor 1.2.7
    - MinimizeToTray revived (MinTrayR) 1.1.2
    - Muter 1.0.3
    - New Tab Tools 25
    - NoScript 2.6.8.20
    - OPIE 4.2
    - OptimizeGoogle 0.79.1
    - Organize Status Bar 0.6.5 (Disabled)
    - Organize Status Bar (Revived) 0.1.0
    - Padlock 0.5.0
    - Password Exporter 1.2.1
    - PDF Architect Converter For Firefox 1.0
    - pwgen - Password Generator 0.5.1
    - Reader 4.5
    - Remove Cookies for Site 0.63
    - Restartless Restart 9
    - RightToClick 2.9.5
    - Saved Password Editor 2.7.2
    - Screen Draw 1.0.11
    - Search Helper Extension 1.0 (Disabled, Incompatible)
    - Searchbar Autosizer 2.1.0
    - Secure Login 1.0.3
    - Self-Destructing Cookies 0.4.4
    - Session Manager 0.8.1.1
    - Show File Size2 1.1.0
    - Show Selected Images 0.17
    - ShowIP 2.2
    - Skip Cert Error 0.4.1
    - Slim Add-ons Manager 10
    - Stylish 1.4.2
    - Stylish Tools 0.233
    - Switch to Tab no more 0.2
    - Tab Mix Plus 0.4.1.3.1
    - Turn Off the Lights 2.3.0.20
    - UnloadTab 0.24.7 (Disabled)
    - Vacuum Places Improved 1.2
    - X-notifier 3.3.16
    - Yes popups 0.9.8b
    - Youtube Video Replay 3.9
Daniel_Orner

Post by Daniel_Orner »

Awesome add-on - now I can have the best of the new with the best of the old. 8-)

I have only one suggestion - the "Back/Forward" drop down button (which is awesome) should not be given text when "Icons & Text" is selected. This makes it a huge button with the title "Back Forward". No matter what we select, that button should still just be a simple arrow.

Everything else works great!
MichaelIsGreat

Only two things I could not get back from previous interface

Post by MichaelIsGreat »

Just installing this addon basically put back most of what I had previously for my interface on Firefox pre-29. I got back my bottom status bar with its useful buttons for my extensions, the proper squared tabs clearly readable, and so on.
Your addon is really extremely welcome to me.

I was able to put back my previous user interface except the following points:
1) I could not find the button called "Display the progress of ongoing downloads" that is represented by a dotted circle.
2) I wanted to have all my tabs at the most bottom row that is below the row containing the URL bar, the buttons, the search bar, and a few other buttons. But I could not do that and I would appreciate if anybody was able to do that with this addon if he could let me know. Thanks.
PLEASE FEEDBACK FROM YOU READERS IF YOU MANAGED TO SOLVE THESE TWO REMAINING ISSUES.

Honestly, I do not find this new Australis interface really flexible; they should have left options to get the previous interface fully. Thanks to this addon, I am very close to achieving that.

Many thanks to the developer.
pixelwiz

Post by pixelwiz »

Hi, I think this was already asked, but I didn't see an answer. If I use the tabs below option, is there a way not to lose the 1/4 inch at the top or so for the title bar. I tried using the Hide Caption Titlebar Plus, but while it worked great with Firefox 28 and below, it just doesn't look like with 29 and Classic Theme Restorer set to tabs below. I believe you said you were going to get in touch with that developer maybe?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

elma wrote:Fine, users are stupid, we know this! So they docked everything. But WHY oh why would you have navigation controls separated by a long URL field?!

They could dock back/forward and reload/stop ALL next to each other on ONE side of the URL field, preferably the left. It's a usability issue, makes it much more friendly. Is there someplace Mozilla takes comments/suggestions? Thanks!

The default position of those buttons has been the right side of the address bar for a long time, probably Fx 4. So moving them and locking them on the left would probably have alienated far more people. One of (the?) user studies they did showed very few people as a percentage customized the interface.

Try help -> Submit Feedback.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
elma

Post by elma »

Mozilla seems to be all over the place on this. You said people were rendering browser unusable by customizing then forgetting, then there's this study that very few actually customize. I know this isn't the place to continue this, so I'll look at Mozilla's own forums. Thanks for the info though...

smsmith wrote:
elma wrote:Fine, users are stupid, we know this! So they docked everything. But WHY oh why would you have navigation controls separated by a long URL field?!

The default position of those buttons has been the right side of the address bar for a long time, probably Fx 4. So moving them and locking them on the left would probably have alienated far more people. One of (the?) user studies they did showed very few people as a percentage customized the interface.

Try help -> Submit Feedback.
elma

Post by elma »

elma wrote:Thanks for the great extension. The main reason I added is to see if it would let me undock reload button from navigation toolbar so I can put reload where it belongs: Next to the back and forward arrows. No idea what Mozilla was thinking! Unfortunately I can't do that or haven't figured out how with your extension. Is it possible, or is there another way?

While I'm posting, I clicked combine reload & stop buttons and it worked, but when I unchecked it they still remain combined. Even after browser restart and even laptop restart. Solution? Thanks!

Can I get a response to the second part of my original post. Thanks!