Sky Pilot Classic for Sunbird

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Sailfish

Sky Pilot Classic for Sunbird

Post by Sailfish »

In addition to providing support for Firefox, Thunderbird, Venkman, chatZilla and MozCalendar, I've just updated the theme to work with Sunbird 0.2.

However, since Sunbird doesn't yet offer a GUI-based theme installation one will need to manually install the theme, as follows:
  1. Exit Sunbird.
  2. Download the Sky Pilot Classic theme using Firefox 1.0+<-IMPORTANT! to a convenient folder/directory, say, C:\Temp
  3. Invoke the following command line:

Code: Select all

\sunbird installation path\sunbird -install-global-theme C:\Temp\skypilotf08t05.jar

If this succeeds, no messages will appear nor will Sunbird start; however, the theme file will now be installed.
  4. To enable the theme, navigate to the Sunbird profile salt folder, e.g., in Win98 it's:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Sunbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
    where "xxxxxxxx" is a randomly generated filename.
  5. Edit the file prefs.js with your favorite text editor and add the following line at the end and save:

user_pref("general.skins.selectedSkin", "skypilot/1.0");
  6. To restore the default theme, simply remove the previously added line from the prefs.js.
When you restart Sunbird, it should be using the Sky Pilot Classic skin.

gl
markcarson

Problems with an XP theme install

Post by markcarson »

Aloha Sailfish,

My profile path under Windows XP is: C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\Application Data\Mozilla\Sunbird\Profiles\default.nkr

However, after following your instructions, I still don't have SkyPilot as the theme when I start Sunbird 0.2a. Any ideas of what to verify? How about a screenshot of the Sunbird/SkyPilot theme on your web page? Also the download link is too small. You might want to make it more prominent.

Regards,

Mark Carson
that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Hi Mark, I'll take a look at installing the theme on my XP system after this post to insure that it works on XP using the same instructions. In the meantime, you might want to see if the theme was installed in sunbird's \installation path\sunbird\extensions\ folder under the theme's GUID, {a9a7ff40-a7dd-11d8-8ebc-000c6e787bf7}, as a folder name? If so, then that means step 3 above worked.

Let me think about the screenshot idea. It's a good one but that web page isn't setup to easily accommodate other standalones (Thunderbird/Sunbird) or add-ons (MozCal, Venkman, chatZilla.) In the meantime, here's a screenshot of Sunbird with most of the icons. The only ones missing are cut/copy/paste (same as Firefox) and Publish (same as seamonkey Composer's.)

Yeah, the link is rather obscure, perhaps I'll add the standalone logos next to their name as well as increasing the font size? Thanks for pointing that out.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Mark, I'm on WinXP now and the theme installed and works well here, too. Had you downloaded a recent version of the theme?
markcarson

Post by markcarson »

<b>Detailed instructions for the anal retentive out there:</b>

1. Exit Sunbird (if its open) and start Firefox (if you are not using it to read these instructions that is).

2. Go to the <b><a href="http://skypilot.projectit.com/">Sky Pilot Theme Page</a></b>

3) Look for the line: <b>"To install this theme, click here."</b> Click the link to Install the SkyPilot theme in Firefox.

4. Now, download the theme to disk: <b><a href="http://skypilot.projectit.com/skypilotf08t05.jar">skypilotf08t05.jar</a></b>
--- For example, save to folder: <b>"C:\Download\Mozilla"</b>

5. Switch to your Sunbird folder (where the executable Sunbird.exe is located). For example:
--- <b>C:</b>
--- <b>cd "\Program Files\Mozilla Sunbird"</b>

6. Install the theme into Sunbird. For example, using a download folder as shown above:
--- <b>sunbird installation path\sunbird -install-global-theme C:\Download\Mozilla\skypilotf08t05.jar</b>

7. Using a text editor, open <b>prefs.js</b> in your Profile's Sunbird folder. For example, with Windows XP:
--- <b>C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Sunbird\Profiles\default.xxx </b>
--- (where .xxx = some random extension)

8. Add the following line to Prefs.js:
--- <b>("general.skins.selectedSkin", "skypilot/1.0");</b>

9) Save your Pref.js file.

10) Restart Sunbird.
Last edited by markcarson on March 30th, 2005, 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
markcarson

Post by markcarson »

BTW - I still don't have it working yet. A folder with the GUID was not created.

I wonder if the Sunbird path is the problem. My installation is NOT in "c:\sunbird". Its in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Sunbird". What would the installation line look like in this case?

I'm thinking the problem part might be:

sunbird <b>installation path\sunbird</b> -install-global-theme C:\Download\Mozilla\skypilotf08t05.jar
Last edited by markcarson on March 30th, 2005, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

markcarson wrote:7. Using a text editor, open <b>prefs.js</b> in your Profile's Sunbird folder. For example, with Windows XP:
--- <b>C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Sunbird\Profiles\default.xxx </b>
--- (where .xxx = some random extension.

On my XP sys it was:

--- <b>C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Sunbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default </b>
--- (where xxxxxxxx. = some random filename

???
markcarson

Post by markcarson »

I'm back at home now (Windows 2000 Pro) but a couple of hours ago in the office (when I first posted), my XP box also used the form" "default.xxx". Odd huh?
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

markcarson wrote:BTW - I still don't have it working yet. A folder with the GUID was not created.

I wonder if the Sunbird path is the problem. My installation is NOT in "c:\sunbird". Its in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Sunbird". What would the installation line look like in this case?

I'm thinking the problem part might be:

sunbird <b>installation path\sunbird</b> -install-global-theme C:\Download\Mozilla\skypilotf08t05.jar

Hmm, here's the command line I used in my XP Run dialog:

"C:\Program Files\Internet\Browsing Companions\Mozilla\Sunbird\sunbird.exe" -install-global-theme "C:\Temp\skypilotf08t05.jar"
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

markcarson wrote:I'm back at home now (Windows 2000 Pro) but a couple of hours ago in the office (when I first posted), my XP box also used the form" "default.xxx". Odd huh?

Yeah, it is. I did a zip install, I wonder if that would account for it?
markcarson

Post by markcarson »

I'm trying the command line to get the theme to unpack in the GUID named folder, but no luck so far.
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

Umm... hate to interrupt this instructional conversation here but I wanted to comment that you've outdone yourself as usual Sailfish! An absolutely gorgeous thème for Sunbird if I may say so myself. :) I currently have no call for a calendar on my computer/server but if I did, as usual, Skypilot would be one of the very first to be installed!

Thanks for your contribution to the Sunbird and theming community at large once more! Now what's next? Nvu? (Please say yes as that one I DO use. hehe! ;) )

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

p/s: Can't quite remember how I got ahold of it ATM but when I'm not using a Mac-based thème in my Mozilla Suite I use my userChrome.css to install your sailfish throbber (or insert it directly into the theme itself where I seldom upgrade). It's awesome!! :D
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

@Eyes-Only, thanks for the gracious comments, I'm pleased you find it appealing.

I actually started porting Composer over to Nvu a few months back but stopped. I don't recall the exact reason but I think it had something to do with not being able to get the theme to install??? I may try it again later.

PS: fwiw, I was able to keep the sailfish throbber Easter Egg in the Sunbird port :_)
Pikachu90000

Post by Pikachu90000 »

Are the installition instruction different than this on Win98?
pika9@ deviantART ~Home to the Winstripe Classic theme.
Pikachu90000's Firefox Theme Review Blog
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Nope, in fact Win98SE is my primary system.