browser.tabs.onTop not working

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Frank Lion

Re: browser.tabs.onTop not working

Post by Frank Lion »

jage wrote:I've tried it in the Profile folder and in the wzzihakz.default "profile" folder. To wit:
D:\Users\master\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\wzzihakz.default\chrome\userChrome.css
and
D:\Users\master\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\chrome\userChrome.css

And no effect.

OK, let's see if we can figure this.

On Win7, the correct path to the profile is this -
C:\Users\<Windows login/user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder> , so you done good on that first path you did above and the names and syntax of the names are fine as well. You didn't spot any other profiles in that Profiles folder?

The reason we use userChrome.css and userContent.css stuff is because it's the easiest way and we've been doing this stuff a while. But, at the moment, it's obviously not the easiest way for you.

So...here's what we'll do -

# 1. Install the Stylish extension from the Firefox Addons site, then restart.

#2. Go to Firefox Menu > Tools > Addons > Stylish and select 'Write New Style' (I'm doing this from memory, so...)

#3. Give your blank style a name. (Tabs Not on Top?)

#4. Paste into the style window that namespace line stuff from the previous page here.

#5. Below that, paste my code snippet. Save the style, make sure it is 'Enabled and you're good to go.

Let us know how it works out.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

The easiest way to find your profile folder is to use Help -> Troubleshooting Information. In the tab that opens, find the "Show Folder" button and click it. Put your chrome folder in there. In the chrome folder, right click and choose New -> Text Document. You should then have a new .TXT file. Open that file and paste the code, making sure that the @namespace line is at the top. Save and close the file. Then, rename the file to userChrome.css

The trick is to make sure that the file extensions are being shown, which is not the default in Windows any more. If they aren't and you rename the file, the file will actually be userChrome.css.txt and then it will not work.

Once you have made sure the file type has been changed to CSS instead of TXT, close and restart Firefox.

But really, the easier thing to do is use the Stylish extension as Frank has pointed out.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I have been using ChromEdit Plus for many years, and before that the original Chrome Edit extension.
http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html

It automatically creates the necessary \chrome\ folder and files, and it allows to edit the 3 "user" files from within Firefox. No need to dig in the bowels of your operating system for every change you want to make. Installs and works fine in 28.0a1 - I haven't seen even one quirk.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

the-edmeister wrote:I have been using ChromEdit Plus for many years...

... - I haven't seen even one quirk.

When I first posted here it was just to post a useful code snippet, I then had a user in trouble, who I knew was already using both Stylish and Chromedit Plus.

As that user is using Linux, where the Firefox profile folder - .mozilla (hidden folder) is in the user's Home directory staring them in the face, then there is no 'digging in the bowels of your operating system' stuff and the full manual instructions seemed a more appropriate route for me to take. Seemed to work.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jage

Post by jage »

First off it's working now.
The reason we use userChrome.css and userContent.css stuff is because it's the easiest way and we've been doing this stuff a while. But, at the moment, it's obviously not the easiest way for you.

I'm trying not to be insulted, lol. I've been writing CSS since the beginning, before WC3. I was making web pages back in the stone ages when we used tables... you kids today and your floating this and div that.

The fact that it wasn't working has been a sore spot with me, I mean I supposedly did this stuff for a living!

My Problem Solved
I installed ChromeEdit Plus, put the button for it in the menu so I could actually start it, and then test edited the file. The profile folder was the correct (and still only) one.

Next I sat down to clean up the 3 lines of code. I started by deleting all the comment lines and ... boom, works. Here is the current file:

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
#TabsToolbar {
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 2 !important;
}
#addon-bar {
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 3 !important;}

I'm too tired to go back see what the problem was. Thanks for all the help!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jage wrote:I'm too tired to go back see what the problem was. Thanks for all the help!

No problem. :)

Your problem was caused by space between the / and the * in your opening commenting out line - viewtopic.php?p=13209281#p13209281 and we should have spotted that.

Proper text editors automatically colour up different elements in different colours and make syntax errors easy to spot. I use this
jage

Post by jage »

Ok, one tiny issue- so the minimize, restore and close buttons in the upper right are covered by the nav-bar, as the tabs element apparently had transparency for them. Basically the menu button is now directly over the X.

Is there a way in userChrome.css to bump the nav-bar down or add space to the right to uncover the window buttons?
Something like {position:relative; top: -20;}

Alternately are the window control elements a DOM object also?

Also how do you actually inspect the DOM of Firefox, like how do you find it's #navigator-toolbox > #nav-bar or whatever?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Have you tried setting browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar to false?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Coming in late maybe but is he using the no tabar extension?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
syncalvo

Post by syncalvo »

Oh man, thank you. You guys saved lives today. Everything was working fine until just today when I installed a plugin and FF no longer wanted to recognize the tabs on bottom. I can't stand the tabs on the top, it just seems so wrong and backwards. You prevented a killing spree. My neighbors thank you.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Not funny.
gone
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

syncalvo wrote:Oh man, thank you. You guys saved lives today. Everything was working fine until just today when I installed a plugin and FF no longer wanted to recognize the tabs on bottom. I can't stand the tabs on the top, it just seems so wrong and backwards. You prevented a killing spree. My neighbors thank you.

I've slightly updated the 'Tabs on Bottom' code since this thread - viewtopic.php?p=13372259#p13372259

Give my best to your neighbours.
jbourvic

Post by jbourvic »

After the shock of seeing the new Firefox V29 appear on my screen and all of my customizing and pinned tabs gone I began the frustration of trying to restore - NOT! I think the people at Mozilla think we are just Sheeple that can be told what we want and need. Not true. I have work to do and so I downloaded the Australis addon. It works good enough for now. At least my pinned tabs immediately showed up and tabs were under the toolbar. Lastly, I can see everything clearly now. Don't know who came up with that default V29 color scheme, but it sucked and was just another item that I would of had to waste time to customize.