How I fixed Firefox 29

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ray-in-Kingwood

How I fixed Firefox 29

Post by Ray-in-Kingwood »

Control panel, uninstall, gone.

Used firefox for may years and loved it. the new update was a total cluster****. ](*,) Went to the support forums for mozilla, (revolving door trying to post) finally I got so damn disgusted I just removed it. I experianced the same problems many others did. Should not have to go through all the rigamorow to get this working. Its NOT ready for release yet. It has more bugs and an El paso border brothel.

So.........I am on Chrome now. If anyone has a link to where I can install the old version (which worked perfect btw) please advise.
In the meantime, Chrome it is. At least it works.
Have a good weekend!

regards,

Ray
LIMPET235

Re: How I fixed Firefox 29

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
& all you really needed to do was to read the Support Forum "Stickys" for how to fix it.
ref; #1 > viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2824649
You only need to install one extension & then you can Re-Customise it.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

Nope, I can't get it to work. It's removed most of the settings the way I had them (they're there in about:config, but don't work). Tabs have disappeared from the row above the main window, and are now in an almost-invisible low-contrast line at the top of the page. Change for change's sake?

Forecastfox, which I used a lot, has stopped working.

There's a new "open menu" over at the right hand side which seems to do the same stuff in a different way. It wasn't broken - so why fix it and break a load of other stuff?

Is there a way to remove the update and go back to the previous version?
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

Tabs are back where I want them, but in camouflage. How do I get them to be in full colour?

Why on earth would Mozilla remove these functions:
* Addons toolbar
* Custom toolbars
* Bookmarks / History sidebar buttons
* Firefox menu button
* Separators / Spaces / Flexible Spaces

And why have "certain features ... been removed or locked into position"? Reduced functionality to persuade me to switch to Chrome?
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Keithj wrote:Nope, I can't get it to work.

Everything you want to do is provided by Classic Theme Restorer. It even makes Forecastfox work properly, even though that add-on hasn't been updated to work with Firefox 29.
Keithj wrote:Is there a way to remove the update and go back to the previous version?

Yes, there is. Are you going to expose your system to security vulnerabilities, or are you going to take 5 minutes to install and configure an add-on?
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

Install CTR first, and then if there are any specific issues you can't figure out, post back and ask for directions.
Ray-in-Kingwood wrote:Control panel, uninstall, gone.

Sigh. If only it were that easy to get rid of obnoxious people like you.
Ray-in-Kingwood wrote:Should not have to go through all the rigamorow to get this working.

LOL.
Ray-in-Kingwood wrote:It has more bugs and an El paso border brothel.

Okay, show of hands, you guys. Who got a brothel in Firefox? I'm using Aurora and it's missing in mine.
SnoutSpout

Post by SnoutSpout »

Maybe he downloaded a funnelcake build with a SPECIAL directory tile by mistake, ahem.
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

I didn't realise 29.0.1 fixed a security vulnerability. Oh well.

I don't want to go all the way back to "Classic Shell". I had the previous version configured just how I like it. I found a Forecastfox download that works with 29.0.1, so that's back. Toolbar extension is back with my missing bits reinstated. That was very much an "own goal" by Mozilla.

The tabs are now in the right place, but are camouflaged. I'll live with that for now. Hopefully there'll be a 29.0.2 next week with that silliness resolved.
Ray-in-Kingwood

Sigh. If only it were that easy to get rid of obnoxious people like you.
Ray-in-Kingwood wrote:
Should not have to go through all the rigamorow to get this working.

How the heck to you consider me obnoxious because I upgraded to a product that is not ready for prime time? The doggone thing does not work. I HAVE tried all the suggestions to no avail. So I am PO'd that is does not work. Get over it. Besides, its free and I have used it for many years and will continue to do so once it gets fixed or I can go back to the old version. Obnoxious my butt. Jeeeeeeeeesch, take a chill pill dude.

I only posted on here to try and get different suggestions that might work so I can continue to utlize an otherwise excellent product. ](*,)

You guys have a good weekend, gonna get me another espresso... :mrgreen:
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
& all you really needed to do was to read the Support Forum "Stickys" for how to fix it.
ref; #1 > viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2824649
You only need to install one extension & then you can Re-Customise it.

Ray, As I mentioned, you only need one extension etc etc...

Takes about 4 or 5 minutes to re-configure it.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

Ray-in-Kingwood

Thank you Sir, I will go and try that one.
molipoli

Post by molipoli »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Everything you want to do is provided by Classic Theme Restorer.

Thank you for this. Will this make firefox close properly though? When I try to open firefox, it says it's already open (if I used it earlier). I have to go into task manager and force the firefox process to close before I can open it again. So does this `theme restorer' fix that?

Also, how could you release something that had bugs like this? You're competing with two of the biggest companies in the world for the best browser and you can't even be bothered to give yours some proper testing? The heck is wrong with you people?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

molipoli,
There's nothing really wrong with the new version.
It just takes a bit of fiddling & the one extension, a couple more if you really need them, to re-configure it back to what it was.

& just in case you missed the new announcement/addition to the forum, please read the lower Blue box at the right. ------->>
mozillaZine is an independent Mozilla community and advocacy site. We're not affiliated or endorsed by the Mozilla Corporation.

Plus, each version gets thoroughly tested by a heap of volunteers before it's released.
They cannot test each iteration though. That would be impossible to carry out.

VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

With the Classic Theme Restorer extension you need to check the options you want, before you start dragging and dropping. Go to Tools > Add-ons > Extensions.

I suppose if you have 5000 lines of user chrome that you wrote, you might have trouble getting all that to work. If you haven't done that, it really is easy, and it really does take just a few minutes.
Temporary1223

Post by Temporary1223 »

I am having trouble with Classic Theme Restorer with regard to the stop/reload buttons. I have successfully removed them from the urlbar; however, it will not allow me to combine them. Any ideas why?
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Temporary1223 wrote:I am having trouble with Classic Theme Restorer with regard to the stop/reload buttons. I have successfully removed them from the urlbar; however, it will not allow me to combine them. Any ideas why?

They need to be in this order for them to "combine":

Stop/Reload
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2