[ext/dev] SeaTab-X-2 - Firefox tab closers in SeaMonkey

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
patrickjdempsey

Re: [ext/dev] SeaTab-X-2 - Firefox tab closers in SeaMonkey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I'll look into it... I don't do much testing in Mail. Thanks for the report.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

Nope, works for me. Maybe a Linux-specific bug?
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Nope, works for me. Maybe a Linux-specific bug?

IDK. Where's the rule that would hide it anyway? I can't find it.

Edit: Just reproduced in Windows 7 guest as well.

Edit2: Another bug: closing a tab in MailNews switches to a tab after the one that has been closed.
patrickjdempsey

Exalm wrote:SeaTab-X-2 0.2 doesn't seem to hide close button on the first MailNews tab as well. At least other issues are fixed.

Hmm... I'm not sure why you expect the closer to be hidden when there are multiple tabs open? I hide the closer on the first tab if it is the only tab a'la Firefox:

Code: Select all

/* hide close button on single tab, but show when hovered */
#tabmail:not([browsertabsclosebuttons="2"])
  .tabbrowser-tab:first-of-type:last-of-type:not(:hover) .tab-close-button,
#content:not([browsertabsclosebuttons="2"])
  .tabbrowser-tab:first-of-type:last-of-type:not(:hover) .tab-close-button {
  opacity: 0;
}

Additionally, while browser.tabs.closeButtons=3 should behave just as =1, it doesn't hide New Tab button in MailNews. :)

I'm not sure why it should do that in the first place? I didn't even realize there was a new tab button on Mail? Like I said, I don't know anything about Mail... never used TBird, heck never used client-side mail in my life. If there is some specific behavior I should know about you'll have to educate me on that or provide some documentation or something.

Edit2: Another bug: closing a tab in MailNews switches to a tab after the one that has been closed.

That sounds like an application bug to me. If SeaTab-X-2 is somehow responsible for that behavior then I wouldn't even begin to have any idea where to even start looking for the cause.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Hmm... I'm not sure why you expect the closer to be hidden when there are multiple tabs open?
IDK, because SeaTab-X-2 0.1 did it? :D
Anyway, that's Thunderbird behavior.

I'm not sure why it should do that in the first place? I didn't even realize there was a new tab button on Mail? Like I said, I don't know anything about Mail... never used TBird, heck never used client-side mail in my life. If there is some specific behavior I should know about you'll have to educate me on that or provide some documentation or something.
Because that makes browsers.tabs.closeButtons=3 different from 1, and they should be the same. Either show it everywhere or hide everywhere. Showing it on =3 is a normal SeaMonkey behavior, but the addon should ignore it.

That sounds like an application bug to me. If SeaTab-X-2 is somehow responsible for that behavior then I wouldn't even begin to have any idea where to even start looking for the cause.
Well, middle-click works fine.
patrickjdempsey

With SeaTab-X-2 uninstalled, the normal behavior for SeaMonkey appears to be browser.tabs.closeButtons=1 means show a closer on the first tab. So that's what I do. Does Tbird *always* hide the first closer or something? That would somewhat make sense... although I really don't understand the point of tabs in Mail to begin with...

For the New Tab button, I guess it could be considered a feature that you have a choice of showing it or not since it's not customizable like Firefox. :D

I'm not sure what behavior you expect when a tab is closed... the normal behavior in SeaMonkey browser as well as Firefox is that it switches to the next tab. If Tbird does that differently then maybe Tbird is just crazy. ;) Again, I don't really get the point of tabs in mail, or how they are supposed to act... but all of the behaviors you've described appear to be the default SeaMonkey behaviors and I'm honoring those.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

patrickjdempsey wrote:With SeaTab-X-2 uninstalled, the normal behavior for SeaMonkey appears to be browser.tabs.closeButtons=1 means show a closer on the first tab. So that's what I do. Does Tbird *always* hide the first closer or something? That would somewhat make sense... although I really don't understand the point of tabs in Mail to begin with...
Yes, TB always hides the closer on the first tab, so that you can't get stuck with some message opened and nothing else. That is not necessary in SM, as you can always re-open the window. Just saying that SeaTab-X-2 0.1 did this, although it didn't work in some conditions, and 0.2 never does. :)

I'm not sure what behavior you expect when a tab is closed... the normal behavior in SeaMonkey browser as well as Firefox is that it switches to the next tab. If Tbird does that differently then maybe Tbird is just crazy. ;) Again, I don't really get the point of tabs in mail, or how they are supposed to act... but all of the behaviors you've described appear to be the default SeaMonkey behaviors and I'm honoring those.
You haven't understood me.
| Some tab X | Some tab X | Some tab X | Some tab X [ ACTIVE TAB X ]
Let's close the second tab.
| Some tab X | Some tab [X] | Some tab X | Some tab X [ ACTIVE TAB X ]
What happens:
| Some tab X [ ACTIVE TAB X ] Some tab X | Some tab X |
What is expected:
| Some tab X | Some tab X | Some tab X [ ACTIVE TAB X ]

Middle click works fine. I guess I have described it badly.
patrickjdempsey

Ahhhh O.K. If the first tab in Mail is supposed to be "protected" I can hide the closer there. I had kind of wondered about that and it's one of the reasons I found tabs so confusing in mail. I think all I have to do is remove some of my "conditionals" from the selector for the "first-tab" and it will just work. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy.

I think I see what you are talking about with the tab closing switching the active tab. This is a bug in SeaMonkey itself as far as I can tell. What's happening is that when you click on the close-button, it is causing the tab to become focused. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but maybe it is because the tabs in mail do not have the "clickthrough=never" attribute? Anyway, when I apply my custom close-button binding to the tab-mail tabs it appears to correct this problem... so easy fix!

The new tab button in mail is weird... it's not really a blank new tab button, but it duplicates the already open tab... strange stuff. However, since it is visible in the default configuration, and disappears for every other setting in the default theme, I think I should just leave it alone. No doubt users will have this customized to their liking and I don't want to mess with that... I'm trying to add and improve functionality, not remove it!

Uploading fix version now.
greyowl2

Post by greyowl2 »

I have recently started using the extension SeaTabX 2 on SeaMonkey2.26 and love it, particularly to be able to hover over an inactive tab and get a close X.

I also use FF 29 and Palemoon 24.5. Neither have X on the inactive tabs. I am wondering if SeaTabX 2 will work on FF and Palemoon.
patrickjdempsey

No. SeaTab-X-2 is required on SeaMonkey because it has no X's on tabs at all and the extension adds them. On Firefox, the X's are there, just hidden sometimes. In fact, they *should* be there on inactive tabs with Australis. In "overflow" mode Firefox does hide the closers on tabs, to change this, in about:config look for:

browser.tabs.tabClipWidth

and set to 0
Last edited by patrickjdempsey on June 2nd, 2014, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greyowl2

Post by greyowl2 »

Thank you for the help.
patrickjdempsey

P.S. This is one of those prefs that requires a restart to see the change.
patrickjdempsey

Fixed a bug where dragging the tab closer was copying the tab. I'm not sure why it was doing that, but it took some digging to find a fix! This fix will also appear in SeaFox eventually.
patrickjdempsey

No new version, everything appears to be smooth sailing. Just had to do a version bump on AMO because it was reporting as not compatible with SeaMonkey 2.31.
igor_ubuntu

Post by igor_ubuntu »

patrickjdempsey wrote:If you wish to move the New Tab button to the right side of the tab strip, you can use this userChrome hack:

Code: Select all

.tabs-stack vbox hbox stack { -moz-box-ordinal-group:10!important; }

Hi.
Is it possible in Seamonkey to move the button "New Tab" as it is implemented in Firefox (button "New Tab" is located next to the tab) ?
FFox