IP Ban

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
LuvKomputrs

Re: IP Ban

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Been getting constant messages that my IP has been banned.
FYI This doesn't happen all the time.
I have cleared my cache and cookies more than once and closed my browsers Firefox and SeaMonkey and tried to access the board.
Sometimes clearing the cache and cookies doesn't fully work.
My IP address does change. I did check the blacklist and for some weird reason it was linked to my current IP address. Strange.
Not too annoyed by this since I am able to log in and post a reply here.
But, I wonder why this keeps happening. Gremlins perhaps? ;)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
It's probably "George", our resident "Green Gremlin."

He likes to play up, at times & is very hard to track down.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
It's probably "George", our resident "Green Gremlin."

He likes to play up, at times & is very hard to track down.

Thanks! I had a really good chuckle when I read that. :lol:
Gotta love them Gremlins! Especially "George" :wink:
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Cache and cookies cannot be the whole story, because a second try always works for me without clearing either. I'm not convinced it's even part of the story.

I'll second that. I got the "IP ban" half a dozen times this last week. (Does it have periods of quiet and activity?) Clearing cache did not help. Doing something like Search "anything" worked every time.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

George seems to get grumpy about IP numbers. If it becomes a problem then either go to a library or a friends house and log in. If you cannot to do that let me know and I will briefly take over your account, log in and send you the new password.. Logging in from a different ISP seems to solve the problem much more often then not.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

LoudNoise wrote:Logging in from a different ISP seems to solve the problem much more often then not.

But so does just logging in again, from the same ISP, without resetting anything. Just press the "Login" button at the upper right. Works every time.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Logging in from a different IP seems to solve the problem forever. George is a bastard but a fair one.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Got this:
You have been banned from this board until May 30th, 2014, 7:00 am.

If you believe this is an error, please try closing your browser and clearing your cache.

If you still have an issue, and believe it's an error, put the word "anything" in the Search Boards text box and click on GO. Click on any result and then click on Board Index. The problem should go away.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

The message is clear. Don't dis George. :)
Post wrangler
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I just cleared my cache and cookies and everything (usually do with each new version of FF) and I got the IP ban message. Clicked the login link and logged back in. Pretty much happens every time I clear all my stuff and come back to the forum. Maybe because I didn't logout of the forum specifically so it thought I was an imposter. Who knows LOL.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

LoudNoise wrote:Logging in from a different IP seems to solve the problem forever.

Um, no it doesn't.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

I just got permabanned. :lol:
Seems our resident green gremlin "George" is really grumpy today. :wink:
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

I get this alot when come to these forums. Refreshing/Reloading the page and goes back to normal
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

For reasons known only to George, our resident gremlin, you can sometime make the problem go away by logging in from a different location. Use your phone or work, friend's or library computer to log in and see what happens.
Post wrangler
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

LoudNoise, did you read what tsunami just wrote?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Unless something changed overnight LN reads everything..... even when we don't want him to :)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"