Testing help needed with new Download Handling

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
bengoodger

Testing help needed with new Download Handling

Post by bengoodger »

Hi folks.

I've been working on improving helper app/download handling with Firebird of late and have produced a number of changes to

a) make it so it's easy to specify how files are opened
b) have these changes persist
c) make it easy to edit these changes once made, through Options.

Also, I have made the "Download all files to this folder" preference work well, in the case where you have the "never ask" preference set.

This work has encompassed changes to the unknown content type handling dialog (the dialog you get the first time you try to load a link of a mime type you haven't seen before), the options dialog, and the browser in general.

I've produced a <b>experimental</b> build with this functionality and I'm seeking to get people to bang on it a bit to see what all I've broken so I can fix those bugs and get these changes checked in for 0.7 ;-)

I only have a build for (and can only build on) Windows, so here's the link:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nig ... -win32.zip

[The build wasn't yet live when I made this post, give it 10 minutes to show up]
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

What build date is this based off of?
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

Zeron wrote:What build date is this based off of?

Today or yesterday. (2003-08-01)
manifest

Post by manifest »

I just staring playing around with this build. First thing I noticed was when I enabled "use system colors" from the options menu, the "downloads" tab from the option menu disappeared. I'll play around with it a bit more.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
Jonx

Post by Jonx »

I tried to open a exe file from its location when Download dialog came up where says open with "exefile default" i chosed "other " and i canceled it but in the download dialog "exefile default" disappeared. I have to close download dialog to click link again to open it which is exefile selected by its default
Mac OS X 10.4.2
velcrospud

Post by velcrospud »

Under WinXP

- Sometimes I cannot "OK" and get out of the options menu unless I'm on the Downloads panel - haven't narrowed this down yet

- "My Downloads" folder doesn't work. I can select it, but then the "OK" button doesn't work. (Does WinXP have a My Downloads folder?)

- I realize you are trying to keep the mime type settings as simple as possible but as simple as they are, they will just end up being confusing. For example, right now I have two entries that look identical - "WinRar Archive" They are different mime types but both are handled by WinRar. There is no way to tell the difference between the two of them. Also I have one entry that just says "Video Clip" - There is no indication what kind of video file (avi) and inexperienced users would probably think that it includes all video files.
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

velcrospud wrote:- "My Downloads" folder doesn't work. I can select it, but then the "OK" button doesn't work. (Does WinXP have a My Downloads folder?)

Fixed.

velcrospud wrote:I realize you are trying to keep the mime type settings as simple as possible but as simple as they are, they will just end up being confusing. For example, right now I have two entries that look identical - "WinRar Archive" They are different mime types but both are handled by WinRar. There is no way to tell the difference between the two of them. Also I have one entry that just says "Video Clip" - There is no indication what kind of video file (avi) and inexperienced users would probably think that it includes all video files.

I've added an extension to the display, similar to the Windows file type dialog.
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

Unólas wrote:I tried to open a exe file from its location when Download dialog came up where says open with "exefile default" i chosed "other " and i canceled it but in the download dialog "exefile default" disappeared. I have to close download dialog to click link again to open it which is exefile selected by its default

Oops! Those options are supposed to be disabled (only "Save to Disk" should be shown). Fixing...
Homer

Post by Homer »

Prefs dialog rearrangement is sweet! What's going in the open space? :)

Icons slightly overlap the text descriptions in the file types section.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Is there a bug filed for development of this feature?
Homer

Post by Homer »

Any chance the "save in" field will be user-editable? Bug 178227 was to make it user-editable, which it is in current nightlies, and some people will want to hand-edit this.

It also allows you to create a downloads directory, which the filepicker doesn't do.
DamianMoran

Post by DamianMoran »

I tested two files types .exe and .torrent. Save to disk worked as expected, but after asking FB to open the .exe with the default location (I suppose this is the problem) it would just hang there with the loading icon which would probably have gone onwards if I did not close it down. Of course my expected behaviour was for the file to have started running after download. Torrent worked flawlessly, one setting downloaded and the other opened with bittorrent as expected.

P.S

If there any chance of revealing what you changed to bring Splash Screen support back? ;).
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

Tom Sommer wrote:Is there a bug filed for development of this feature?

Only a tracking bug...

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214259
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

DamianMoran wrote:I tested two files types .exe and .torrent. Save to disk worked as expected, but after asking FB to open the .exe with the default location (I suppose this is the problem) it would just hang there with the loading icon which would probably have gone onwards if I did not close it down. Of course my expected behaviour was for the file to have started running after download. Torrent worked flawlessly, one setting downloaded and the other opened with bittorrent as expected.

P.S

If there any chance of revealing what you changed to bring Splash Screen support back? ;).

Sorry I forgot to check for application/x-msdownload and disable the "Open" function. We're not supporting Open on .exes just yet for security reasons. I've made this change in my tree.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

bengoodger wrote:Sorry I forgot to check for application/x-msdownload and disable the "Open" function. We're not supporting Open on .exes just yet for security reasons. I've made this change in my tree.
So, we are disabling OPEN on .exe files? We had this once, and we changed it back to allow the opening of .exe files after viewing a one-time security notice... Will this change? Because I like to think I know what I am opening when I open a downloaded file :)

Or is it the automatically-open an .exe file? Cause then I'm all for it :)