No ability to place add-ons onto status bar?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Tialon

No ability to place add-ons onto status bar?

Post by Tialon »

Hello all, I have recently installed SeaMonkey 2.26 (currently my focus is on the browser). I'm attempting to customize it and work with it. I'd like for some of my add-ons to display in the status bar (at the bottom). For example, Forecastfox, AdBlock Plus, and Ghostery.

Forecastfox placed itself onto the status bar during its installation; no issues there. However, my attempts at manually placing ABP's and Ghostery's icons onto the status bar (by means of the "Customize..." option), have no effect. Indeed, even right-clicking the status bar does not provoke the context menu with the "Customize..." feature, the way right-clicking on other toolbars does. It does not seem possible to manually customize the status bar in this way.

Is this standard behavior in SeaMonkey's browser? Is there any way to modify this, or to place the icons in the status bar as I'd like?

(I did a number of searches using the Advanced Search function, but could not really find anything that seemed to apply to this, aside from a brief thread from 2011. It's possible I missed something; please do refer me to another thread if this is the case.)

On an unrelated note, I'd like to thank Lemon Juice for that add-on conversion tool, which is very handy indeed. :D
Gort

Re: No ability to place add-ons onto status bar?

Post by Gort »

Adblock Plus does display on the status bar. Tools>Adblock Plus>Options then select Show in status bar. Don't know about Ghostery, as I don't use it.
Tialon

Post by Tialon »

Thank you, Gort. I found that option in ABP and chose it, and the icon displays now. I notice that I still seem to have no option to customize the status bar, e.g., to move the icons around in a different order, or that type of thing. Is that normal in SeaMonkey? One can't re-arrange the status bar at will (other than with specific add-ons, such as Forecastfox, that allow themselves to be moved)?

Ghostery refuses to move. A question on their support forum, on this same topic, from four months ago, has this answer: "The Status/Addon bar icon was removed in Ghostery 5.0 due to a proposed Firefox change. However, we are working on ideas to bring it back. For now, you right-click in the navigation bar and choose 'Customize Toolbar' you can drag the icon down to the status bar." However, I'm not able to do as the reply suggests; and possibly the reply is referring to Firefox, even though the question asks specifically about SeaMonkey.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You can make your own Add-on bar. I did that and have 15 buttons from add-ons on it.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I believe what Anonymosity means is that in Customize you can add a new toolbar, which can be used to store addons buttons. However, this will not appear at the bottom of the window as most people expect.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Tialon

Post by Tialon »

Thank you, Anonymosity and patrickjdempsey. (Apologies for the thread necromancy -- I came down with pneumonia on May 19, so experimenting with SeaMonkey had to take a back seat for awhile!)

So, to clarify: in SeaMonkey, I do have the ability to create a new toolbar, and to store add-on icons there. However, that toolbar cannot be placed at the bottom of the screen. Correct?

Further, I do not have the ability to place add-on icons into the Add-On bar/Status Bar itself (aside from add-ons that place themselves into the status bar by default). Is this also correct?

I'm not pitching a fit about this, just trying to make sure I have my facts straight. :) Thanks very much!
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yes and yes. Except that SeaMonkey does not have an "add-on bar", just the old-fashioned statusbar like Firefox 3.

I'm working on adding a customizable section to the statusbar in my extension SeaFox... but it will be awhile before it's ready for the public (there are a few bugs).
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Tialon

Post by Tialon »

Okay, great. Thanks very much!

I look forward to seeing the customizable status bar, whenever it arrives.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Unfortunately, SeaMonkey's status bar customization is next to non existent so if Patrick manages to do it in his extension then that will be the solution.

So far, I know of some limited customizations - not really what you were looking for but can be some kind of consolation:

1. Organize Status Bar (Revived) - allows you to change the order of status bar items

2. DragNDrop Toolbars - change the vertical order of toolbars (however, not possible to move them to the bottom)

3. Somewhat extreme: How do I move the navigation toolbar to the bottom of the browser - all toolbars will be moved to the bottom!

Also, it's possible to move icons to the menu bar - usually, there's a lot of unused space so many icons/buttons can fit in there. You can even get more space with Tiny Menu.

So much for the workarounds... Of course, all of the above Fx extension will work with the converter :).
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Tialon

Post by Tialon »

Thank you, Lemon Juice. I'm not sure that the add-ons you list will do precisely what I am looking for, but they should be interesting to experiment with in their own right, so I will give them a try.

Also, thanks again for that converter! To my sorrow I discovered that I was unable to add a couple of SeaMonkey extensions today (SeaMonkey version of Flashblock, for example -- the mozdev.org link for it is unresponsive, and I found a thread in SeaMonkey General discussing the mozdev.org issue). With your conversion tool, I was able to grab and install the Firefox versions of my extensions, as if by magic and with no trouble. Grazie mille! Image
Gort

Post by Gort »

Lemon Juice wrote:Also, it's possible to move icons to the menu bar - usually, there's a lot of unused space so many icons/buttons can fit in there. You can even get more space with Tiny Menu.

Thanks for bringing this extension to my attention. There is another extension like this, but it breaks bookmark additions. Now I have got all my forward, back, reload and stop buttons, as well as the address bar, all on the menu bar with the small menu button. I can even put that button on the left, unlike on Australis on Firefox, where it's on the right and not movable (other than using an extension). What I wouldn't have minded doing was to put the status bar contents (status alerts and icons) in the remaining space of the menu bar (without the Tiny Menu extension), but this'll do fine.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Gort wrote:[Thanks for bringing this extension to my attention. There is another extension like this, but ...

...I only skim read the reviews?

viewtopic.php?p=12170579#p12170579
http://franklion.co.uk/CMB.html

Millie still hasn't fixed that stuff, so I reckon it's abandoned...which means I'm stuck with still hosting mine.

Works fine with FF29+, doesn't work with SM even after going through the convertor. Pity, I was going to give it a small SM icon. Trouble with Tiny Menu is that the menu is still stuck on the menubar, whereas CM3 can go anywhere (I have mine on Nav Bar *). Well, anywhere apart from on SM, it seems.

There is also a Custombuttons extension version of Compact Menu. It works, but I reckon it has a loading and display hang. Other Custombutton buttons are fine. Tiny Menu on SM will have to do for me, meantime.

* please don't suggest moving stuff up to #toolbar-menubar, I write themes and have to see what users see or it all gets very confusing.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Tialon wrote:With your conversion tool, I was able to grab and install the Firefox versions of my extensions, as if by magic and with no trouble.

You must be very lucky in your choice of extensions to get such a high success rate! :)

Gort wrote:Now I have got all my forward, back, reload and stop buttons, as well as the address bar, all on the menu bar with the small menu button. I can even put that button on the left, unlike on Australis on Firefox, where it's on the right and not movable (other than using an extension).

Ironically, this is one example where a Firefox extensions works better in SeaMonkey than in (the newest) Firefox! That's because of UI customization crippling in Australis, I suppose...

Frank Lion wrote:Works fine with FF29+, doesn't work with SM even after going through the convertor. Pity, I was going to give it a small SM icon.

Actually, CM3 works in SM partially and I suspect it wouldn't be hard to get it to work fully, however it's too much for the converter. The toolbar items are present in the Mail window and can be put on the toolbar just fine. They are absent in the browser probably due to some check in the code. Also, the Mail toolbar customisation window seems to execute Firefox/browser init function due to some other incorrect check. So I'd say, the addon is not that far off from working in SM...
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Tialon

Post by Tialon »

* please don't suggest moving stuff up to #toolbar-menubar, I write themes and have to see what users see or it all gets very confusing.

Frank Lion, can you expound a bit on that? I followed Lemon Juice's advice and tried putting a couple of the icons up in the menu bar. It's a bit different to what I'm used to, but I don't mind, and was planning to leave it that way for awhile. Are you saying that it's harmful to SeaMonkey in some way, to do so? The theme I'm using at the moment is "Classic Firefox theme for SeaMonkey 0.0.14." I also have Kilome 2.3.

You must be very lucky in your choice of extensions to get such a high success rate!

Possibly! I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I would imagine a lot of the credit goes to the conversion tool's designer. ;)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Tialon wrote:

Frank Lion, can you expound a bit on that?

That bit only applies to my setup, you will be fine.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)