Thunderbird 24.4.0 Not Responding

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Endicott

Thunderbird 24.4.0 Not Responding

Post by Endicott »

HP de-branded PC, AMD-6200@3.8GHz, 10Gb RAM, Win 8.1 x64, Thunderbird 24.4.0, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes
I realize there are a number of "not responding" posts in support, but none that are particularly recent involving 24.4.0. Beginning this week, I began to receive "Not Responding" messages (usually) when deleting e-mails. After 30 - 60 seconds, TB will begin responding again until the 2nd or 3rd e-mail is deleted (or moved, etc.) when the behavior reappears. The same behavior occurs in TB safe mode as well

I followed a number of suggestions I found posted in other topics to no avail. Then, I restarted Windows in safe mode and the TB issues disappeared, suggesting that the issue began with the last MS update on Tuesday.

Question -- how do I determine which start up program / service is interfering with TB? I currently have 48 background and 28 MS processes running. I have tried disabling a number of the start up programs thru MSCONFIG to no avail - I have 17 start-up programs, but all predate this problem. As there are not many (any?) similar complaints, I begin to believe it is something specific to this machine. Suggestions? Thanks! Jim W.
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird 24.4.0 Not Responding

Post by DanRaisch »

When posting to a support forum it is helpful to be specific in listing the things you have already tried. Simply saying that you have "I followed a number of suggestions I found posted in other topics to no avail." doesn't help us understand what you have already tested.

* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
* Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Endicott

Post by Endicott »

Thank you for the quick response. As mentioned, your items 4 & 5 were answered in the original post: problem first noticed after Win update and TB update which occurred about the same time this week, problem also occurs in Mozilla Safe Mode, but does NOT occur in Win safe mode, suggesting the issue originates there. There have been no other recent changes in Win or TB.

My Internet / mail service is provided by Verizon; I have 10 email accounts: 6 POP - Verizon (2), Yahoo, Gmail, MSN (2) and 4 IMAP - AOL (3), Gmail. There are 10 corresponding SMTP servers. Principally, I use only two of the addresses - AOL IMAP and Verizon POP. The issue occurs most often with the AOL account, but that is probably because it is the most used account. Four of the accounts (3 AOL, 1 Gmail) have their own folders - the rest use the local folders. I have a number of filters active (none has changed recently) which copy all incoming messages into a folder named Backup. I have all accounts set to leave messages on their respective servers until I delete them, but that setting does not work for AOL - messages are downloaded locally and moved to trash in the online program regardless of my settings.

Folders are set to compact automatically when space saved would be 21 Mb or more. I just re-compacted all files and the message "compacting done" appeared instantly. Some of my folders (e.g., local Backup) can become quite large. When the folder approaches 4 Gb (not sure if that limitation still applies), I archive them into smaller folders; BackUP.mozmsgs is currently under 400 Mb. I have a single TB profile which contains 170,000 files and occupies 29.2 Gb on disk (600 Gb free on this drive). Most of those files are in the profile's Mail folder, specifically in Local Folders (22.1 Gb). The Archives.sbd folder is 17.1 GB; there is an old Trash file from a previous profile (2011) with 3.3 Gb.

Please advise what else I might try. Thanks - Jim W.
chidi

Re: Thunderbird 24.4.0 not getting mail

Post by chidi »

I think I'm too old for Thunderbird !! It was working fine until today. Win8 with all updates, Thunderbird 24.4.0
Alert says: Sending of user name did not succeed. Mail server Pop3 mail.wowway.com responded: internal server error.
I checked to be sure it went through my firewall
I restarted windows in safe mode (which took me forever to figure out)
I made sure the settings were correct
I have only one lonely little account....but I think it died.
I am really trying to read everything because I don't want the moderators to yell at me. But nothing works.
Sigh
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

chidi, please don't hijack other people's threads. Your problem is very different from the one being addressed here. Create a new topic and provide the details of your problem as you did here.
chidi

Post by chidi »

I'm sorry I don't know the protocol. Clearly this board is over my head. I don't belong here. Sorry I broke the rules.
Endicott

Post by Endicott »

Dan - I am staying in my original thread, however, @ viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2758247&p=13436333#p13436333, (1) I thought RR had a valid point about development efforts on which I wanted to comment and (2) there are 4,670 posts on various threads for "not responding" and 311 for "Thunderbird not responding," many of which are languishing. I'm not optimistic that I will receive advice other than (1) compact your folders, (2) turn off your anti-virus or exclude TB from scans, (3) reinstall TB, (4) roll back to a previous iteration, (5) switch off mail sync, (6) disable a particular e-mail account, etc.

I do appreciate this is a user forum, mostly bereft of developers, with multiple issues requiring multiple suggestions and I thank you for the thankless task of moderating almost 100,000 posts. One solution I have not found (there are 1,000s of posts on the subject of compatibility and Windows) is to start TB in a compatibility mode other than for Win 8.0 or 8.1. I just changed to WinXP compatibility and TB has resumed working (for now). As I have time, I will upgrade compatibility to see if a particular mode causes problems.

Thank you for moderating...
bmadonna

Post by bmadonna »

Same exact behavior. Dell computer running windows 7. Began getting not responding messages especially when deleting messages; but also when selecting messages or scrolling. Non responsive for tens of seconds then responsive followed by repeats over and over. I just uninstalled and reinstalled to find the same issue. HELP I am about to depart ways with the email program I have enjoyed for years.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
* Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
rjwerth

Post by rjwerth »

I'm having this same problem as well. This happens mostly when trying to delete an e-mail, but can happen when just trying to read new e-mails...especially if the new mail notification is still on the screen. No CPU use, no network use, no disk use...just stuck for up to a minute and then everything come back to normal. I also have been using Thunderbird for years and have never seen this so bad for so long!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please answer the same questions....
rick7

Post by rick7 »

This problem has just started for me as well, about a week ago, running on a Dell laptop with Windows 7. It just happened while I was downloading messages -- download one message, get "Not responding" for five seconds or so, download message #2, get "Not responding for five seconds," etc. -- repeat for all 25 messages.

I compacted all folders, and then five minutes later the problem happened again while I was looking in Account Settings. I'd clicked on a random item in a list and Windows said "Not responding" for a few seconds, then came back and returned to normal.

I'd be willing to consider this a problem with my computer generally but I'm fairly certain it's not happening in any other apps.

The mail account is POP, provider is Verizon.

I'll investigate Dan's helpful questions when I can -- I'm just starting to look at this and haven't run anything in Safe Mode yet. Thanks, everyone. More later.
rjwerth

Post by rjwerth »

* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
POP though I also have IMAP accounts as well

ISP

YES

No. Fairly fresh instal of Windows 8.1

Haven't checked yet. I'm currently running:

Display Contact Photo 2.6
gContactSync 0.3.6
Lightning 2.6.5
Provider for Google.25

Oh, sorry for taking so long to respond..but even though I'm subscribed to this thread, I never got an e-mail saying anyone replied.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, please check running in Safe Mode.

Also, what security software are you running on that system?
rjwerth

Post by rjwerth »

Windows Defender. I'll try safe mode when I get back from vacation. Thank you!