FireFox and PC-Cillin Trend Micro Internet Security

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
doctordruidphd

FireFox and PC-Cillin Trend Micro Internet Security

Post by doctordruidphd »

If you use Trend Mirco's Internet Security (PC-Cillin), the following registry mod will force Firefox to go through tmproxy's firewall, making all of the security features of PC-Cillin available. FireFox will slow down noticeably; this is because everything is being passed through tmproxy, which adds a little processing time. Also, this is Windows XP Home; I can't speak to other OS versions.

Note that it is Trend Micro's official position that their product does not work with FireFox, so they are unlikely to support any of this. All I can say is it works like a charm for me. I have been using this for over a month now, and it hasn't missed yet.

1. Create a system restore point, as you will be editing the registry.

2. Open the registry editor:

Start > Run > regedit.exe

3. Navigate to the tmproxy entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > TrendMicro > TMProxy > http > redirect

4. There are a couple of options here. If you aren't using Netscape6 or 7, you can modify one of these entries. For example, if you aren't using Netscape7, do the following:

Left click on "Netscape7"
There is an entry that says: "process REG_SZ Netscp"
Change "Netscp" to "firefox.exe" (note: don't enter quote marks)
Right click on "Netscape7", and rename it to "firefox.exe"

You could also copy one of the Netscape entries, and modify it as above. If you don't know how to do this, well, don't. Just use one of the Netscape entries, as above.

5. Exit the registry editor.

6. Open the Internet Security main window, go to:

Network Security > Personal Firewall > Direct Connection (or whatever profile you are using) > Edit > Exception List

Add an entry for FireFox Browser, specifying the program location, and allow all outgoing connections.

Apply changes and exit.

7. Restart your computer so TMProxy will read the changes.

8. You can test this by either navigating to a website that is on PC-Cillin's blocked list, or creating a privacy item and fill in a blank on an unencrypted web site with it. Either way, you should get PC-Cillin's bright red warning screen, if the mod is working.

Good Luck with it.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Why go through all that, when there are good AV programs that are perfectly compatible with Firefox? I use AVG myself, having no problems.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
OlStinky

Post by OlStinky »

You want to try something sweet...I have Norton on my main laptop...major cpu hog...McAfee on my desktop..should have known better too....and Avast on my lil Gateway beater laptop, believe it or not, I've had that thing for 3 years. Both Norton and Mcafee, I've had to do total XP reinstalls, and one time I decided to throw a dandy towards my Gateway beater and that Avast snatched that cootie right up, no remainig corrupt files...nadda. The other two, what a pain in the butt getting that trojan off, I even tried one of those MicroSoft so called fix its.... As soon as the updates run out, I'm putting Avast on my other 2 comps..w/o hesitation. I've used PC-Cillian before but it too, is a large program and resource hog. If you have the juice. no problem then, its a good one. The two best I've had is Kaspersky's and Avast...something about those eastern Europeans.......
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

AVG is Czech.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
Datcyde

Post by Datcyde »

doctordruidphd..... Way Kool!!!
He who studies evil...is studied by evil.

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD64 3000+ (939)
1GB DDR 400
460GB in HD Space
WinXPSP2
DickDastardly

Post by DickDastardly »

doctordruidphd:
I love you, man. I've been looking for a solution like this for quite a while. Now I can have my perverted son use FireFox, and blow his mind when he finds that he can't get over on me anymore. Little bugger. Oh, the joy of retribution.

Thanks,
Dick

Post by Guest »

Nah, I'd rather use stick and ball of yarn to guard off viruses than use an antivirus program especially avast.. yuck!

Anyways that a cool thing..
KCDoug

Post by KCDoug »

I disagree that PC-Cillin is a resource hog. I researched multiple reviews, tests, and user comments last summer and found the largest consensus pointed to PC-Cillin to be among the most effective anti-virus programs of all, and simultaneously one of the lower drags against resources of the popular brands. I switched from Norton to PC-Cillin and the resource use was noticeably less with the latter. I do sort of like the update process for Norton a little better it seems a bit quicker via modem and network, but the effectiveness and the resource efficiency of PC-C is terrific on my highe end desktop, and two laptops (the oldest being a 4 y/o Dell PIII 700 MHz with 256 RAM). The live tech support is a bonus.

BTW - I've used PC-Cs firewall with FireFox w/o any infections/problems on 2 of my machines. Now spyware - that's another battle and PC-C isn't nearly as good at that as it is virus protection.

JMHO :0
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It may be less of a hog than Norton, but that's not saying much.
Datcyde

Post by Datcyde »

greenknight wrote:It may be less of a hog than Norton, but that's not saying much.

I know, it's saying alot.

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD64 3000+ (939)
1GB DDR 400
460GB in HD Space
WinXPSP2
drhaze

Post by drhaze »

Pccillin is a wonderful program. people should buy a $30 router instead of installing it with the firewall.
i just do a light install with TrendInternet Security 2005. this installs the antivirus only and my little router is a nice hardware firewall, which also takes a load off of the pc. the router does all the blocking this way.
Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon »

I've been using Trend Micro PC-cillin 2005 with Firefox 1.0.3 for over a month now and I've never had any problems.
This is the first time I've ever heard that there was a problem or that Trend says their product doesn't work with my favorite browser.
I did notice that it came preloaded with Internet Explorer already in the firewall access permissions page.
Could it be that the problems were all with older versions, they realized the error of their ways, and fixed it for the 2005 version, which just came out recently (in the midst of the gathering storm that is Firefox)?
I'm happy.
Just went in to the permissions page and added both Mozilla Firefox and Firefox.
H. Seldon

Incremental Liberalism is change without informed consent.
Datcyde

Post by Datcyde »

It works fine. There is no problems from what I can tell. Been using it for a while now. There are other post around that have spoken abou these things before. You can do a search on my login name see them all or most of them.

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD64 3000+ (939)
1GB DDR 400
460GB in HD Space
WinXPSP2
dauge

Post by dauge »

Even better use Trend-Micro's fix by going here ---

http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/sear ... 402&sort=0

or if you have problems with that awful url do a MT knowledge base search on "tmproxy" and pick "The Privacy Data Protection and URL Filter feature of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 does not function when using the Mozilla Firefox browser" result

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the link, but I tried it and when I got back on Firefox, didn't really change anything. I still can't get my updates. Every time I do, I get this message...

"The update was unsuccessful. Check your Internet connection and try again. (-1)"