Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Scarlettrunner20

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Lemon Juice wrote:
Scarlettrunner20 wrote:Multicolumn bookmarks does NOT work.

Ha, this was a case where too many modifications spoiled everything! The Mozilla page about differences in extensions between SM, Fx and TB seems to be wrong about bookmarksMenuPopup - it turns out it doesn't need to be changed at all. I removed it from the converter so Multicolumn Bookmarks should work fine now!

It works now! :D

It didn't at first but I did not have a lot of bookmarks in SeaMonkey because I detest that one, very long, unwieldy column that scrolls soooo slowly. So, just now I imported all of my Fx bookmarks (a lot of those - over 2MB). After I did that, Multicolumn bookmarks works perfectly!
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Any chance in getting Extended Status Bar working on SeaMonkey? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... statusbar/

It's very similar to the status bar in Opera 12x and earlier. I love it because it shows me the page load speed and time. When I installed it using your converter tool and then went to a new site on a new tab I did not see the page load size, speed and time appear in the status bar.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

First of all, it you used the converter within a few recent hours then it had a serious bug sometimes producing broken js files most probably resulting in js parse errors and the extensions not running at all. If you had any problematic conversions recently try it again now since it's fixed.

smsmith wrote:I was able to covert the Change Quote and Reply Header and Quote and Compose Manager extensions. The only problem I have noticed was that the Change Quote and Reply Header extension did something weird to the reply button, which I was able to get rid of with a little CSS tweak. This button appears to have several different states that vary depending on the type of mail you are going to respond to (it a popupmenu button or something or other). I only really need the reply button to be a _reply_ button, so losing this extra function doesn't bother me.

This extension seems to be ancient - still for TB versions that had the traditional reply buttons before their own "australis" revolution a couple of years ago so even in TB the drop down options don't appear. But it's not critical and good to know about the css fix!

LoudNoise wrote:Why doesn't someone running SeaMonkey download an older version of WOT, convert it and see what happens when you click to have it update? My main concern isn't that it will update but rather what happens when or if it tries. For example, does the other older one still get overwritten? Does SeaMonkey die a horrible death when it tries? Does AMO turn into a gang of fluffy, but savage, bunnies in its confusion (which would be fun to watch)?

I tried this with WOT and Text Link older versions. In both cases SM didn't find any updates when I ran "find updates" so nothing happened. Some check is in place, I'm not sure what it is but I suppose it's appversion number.

But even if SM found the update for some reason and installed it then I wouldn't predict any disaster - you would simply end up with an unmodded version installed and would most probably behave the same as if you had only tweaked install.rdf. Without tweaks in chrome.manifest most add-ons simply don't even start and those which don't need those tweaks may run or run to some extent with some js errors, etc. If this happened then the older one would certainly be overwritten because the ID is the same.

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:Any chance in getting Extended Status Bar working on SeaMonkey? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... statusbar/

It's very similar to the status bar in Opera 12x and earlier. I love it because it shows me the page load speed and time. When I installed it using your converter tool and then went to a new site on a new tab I did not see the page load size, speed and time appear in the status bar.

I'm afraid this one is too complex and would require manual modifications to get it to work.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Thanks for the testing. I am hoping to turn my guys to SeaMonkey once ESR changes. My IT folks told me it was ok (assuming SM passes certification) but they aren't going to spend any money on it. With a bit of luck, this extension will solve a number of problems I am facing.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

A modified extension installed in SeaMonkey won't auto update because when the addons manager pings AMO, AMO will reply "not available for SeaMonkey". If the addon developer eventually decides to support SeaMonkey the update ping will say "update available for SeaMonkey" but then in this situation you'd want to update anyway.

Addon SDK: The last time I looked the problem was that various checks would do:
IF Firefox DO {this} ELSE unknown ENDIF. Other problems Addon SDK expects certain things in the browser window (say the hamburger menu) and certain hard coded paths e.g. chrome://browser/content/...

That was quite a while ago. I have no idea what the current situation is.

Phil
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

If an addon is for the wrong application or the wrong platform, you will not be notified of updates for it. I have not only extensions for Firefox installed in SeaMonkey, but also Windows themes installed in Mac Firefox. I am never informed of updates for any of them when I check. The only way I can find out about any new versions of those is by checking the pages where I got them.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Well that makes it all much simpler!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

DERoss wrote:I just tried the converter on the Font Information 0.3.1 extension from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... /fontinfo/. The converted extension installed in SeaMonkey 2.26 without any problems and seems to be working okay.

Actually, the converted Font Information 0.3.1 did NOT work okay. If you go to [View > Page Info] on the SeaMonkey menu bar, there should be a Fonts tab. Instead, the font display is crowded into the General tab. The Font Information extension also moved the display of the Headers tab (created by the Live HTTP Headers extension) to the General tab.

The developer of the Font Information extension informed me that the Page Info for SeaMonkey and Firefox are sufficiently different that much more is required for SeaMonkey than this converter.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Small update for the converter so that application ID's are converted in chrome.manifest lines so that DictionarySearch extension now works also in Mail.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

DERoss wrote:
DERoss wrote:I just tried the converter on the Font Information 0.3.1 extension from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... /fontinfo/. The converted extension installed in SeaMonkey 2.26 without any problems and seems to be working okay.

Actually, the converted Font Information 0.3.1 did NOT work okay. If you go to [View > Page Info] on the SeaMonkey menu bar, there should be a Fonts tab. Instead, the font display is crowded into the General tab. The Font Information extension also moved the display of the Headers tab (created by the Live HTTP Headers extension) to the General tab.

The developer of the Font Information extension informed me that the Page Info for SeaMonkey and Firefox are sufficiently different that much more is required for SeaMonkey than this converter.

Yes, Page Info is a bit different in Firefox - maybe different enough not to add pageInfo.xul to chrome.manifest by the converter? I've added a new option allow to port Page Info features - if it's turned off the SM-specific line for pageInfo.xul will not be added to chrome.manifest. In practical terms this means that for the Font Information extension no modifications will be made to Page Info so as not to break it. You will not get the extra features that would be present there but the context menu functionality will remain working. Some time ago I needed an extension like that so I think it's good to have it working at least with the context menu.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

• About Tab Mix Plus:
    • Firefox's and SeaMonkey's tabbrowsers are too different, IIUC, for this extension to be "portable" from the one to the other.
    • Part of the functionality may exist in other extensions such as Session Manager.
    • The Flowing Tabs functionality can be obtained by means of userChrome.css. For an example, here is my userChrome.css for SeaMonkey — look in the *TABS* section (or search for "flowing tabs" without quotes), and if you see strange characters in the comments, tell your browser that the file is encoded in UTF-8.
  • About MR-Tech Toolkit:
Best regards,
Tony
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

tonymec wrote:About MR-Tech Toolkit

Anonymosity says it works after simple tweaks. To me it looks like it's partly adapted to work in SM but officially the support has been removed. I haven't tested it with my converter but at a quick glance I would think a few minor features might be missing if only install.rdf and chrome.manifest were modded.

Today another update of the converter so that Konquefox works after conversion.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I did not have to modify chrome.manifest for MR Tech Toolkit. It still has the navigator.xul setup in it. I just had to add the ID, max version, and min version for SeaMonkey to install.rdf. I did have to install Toolkit in Firefox first to get it, then copy it from the extensions folder in the Firefox profile, rename that .xpi file, then extract install.rdf, edit it then put it back in, and finally install the extension in SeaMonkey. I bumped up the max version for Thunderbird and installed it there as well, some time earlier.
http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/toolkit.xpi - that is where I got it.

Tonymec,
Does Nightly Tester Tools have a chrome editor? That is a necessity for me. I also like the extra menu items and the extra toolbar buttons.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

If MR-Tech Toolkit works in SeaMonkey, so much the better. I remember a time when it stopped being maintained for a long time, which prompted me to look for replacements. I didn't find an extension that did all that MRTT did, but I found several that did most of what I was interested in, including Nightly Tester Tools when it was "resurrected" long after Mossop (its creator) had abandoned it; and I wrote user CSS for the "flowing tabs" functionality for which I found nothing that worked satisfactorily out of the box.

I'm not going back to MRTT because what I have now works for me; but I am happy that it is being maintained again and has found new users.

To Animosity: The files in the [profile]/chrome/ folder are all text files. Any plaintext editor (vim, emacs, Notepad, …) can be used to edit them. Not a word processor: these usually store the text in some format other than pure plaintext. If you do a lot of text editing (as I do), you'll find that the ability to edit userC*.css and userChrome.js with the same editor as the rest of your text files is a great plus because you can concentrate on "what to do" without having to think on "how to do that" (which keys or buttons to hit, etc.).
There used to be a separate ChromEdit extension but that was a long time ago (before MRTT was invented, IIRC) and I can't find it back at either AMO or Mozdev.
Best regards,
Tony
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

tonymec wrote:... There used to be a separate ChromEdit extension but that was a long time ago (before MRTT was invented, IIRC) and I can't find it back at either AMO or Mozdev.

Image There is a extension called ChromeEdit Plus.
But apparently, only works with firefox & thunderbird (10.* and up).
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~