Thunderbird 24.4.0 Not Responding

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rjwerth

Re: Thunderbird 24.4.0 Not Responding

Post by rjwerth »

Well, I've tried running Thunderbird in Safe Mode and the problem continues. Seems to be a bigger problem with gmail and aol than my POP accounts...but I can't say for sure.

EDIT: Just had the same delete problem with POP as well, so it is an issue with ALL my accounts.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You said above that the problem was with a POP type account. Was that mistaken?
Is the problem principally with the Inbox folder?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

rjwerth wrote:Well, I've tried running Thunderbird in Safe Mode and the problem continues. Seems to be a bigger problem with gmail and aol than my POP accounts...but I can't say for sure.

EDIT: Just had the same delete problem with POP as well, so it is an issue with ALL my accounts.

What are results in *Windows* safe mode?
- win8 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -safe-mode
- win7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -safe-mode
Endicott

Post by Endicott »

OK - here's what solved the problem for me: run TB in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I have not had a recurrence of "not-responding" since then - more than 3 months.
rick7

Post by rick7 »

Hi, just coming back to this issue. I still have the "(Not responding)" problem with Thunderbird 24.5, seemingly at any random time rather than primarily when deleting messages as it seems to be for others. I’m on a Dell Windows 7 laptop purchased three months ago. I don’t have this issue in Thunderbird 24.5 on my seven-year-old Windows 7 desktop which has the same add-ons.

In answer to Dan's questions:

My email is set up as POP.
Mail service is from ISP: Verizon, not a corporate e-mail system.
“Compact all folders when it will save over 20 MB in total” is checked (though I see in Thunderbird Help it recommends 1 MB as the minimum!)
Not sure what other Windows software or updates could have caused this. I imagine that whatever Windows 7 updates have taken place on my laptop have also been downloaded to my desktop which doesn't have the problem
Launching Thunderbird in Safe Mode doesn't have any effect
Security software is McAfee

Thanks for any help. This one sure is a puzzle.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

rick7 wrote:Security software is McAfee

Thanks for any help. This one sure is a puzzle.

Maybe not as much of a puzzle as you think. McAfee is infamous around these forums for causing all sorts of problems with Thunderbird's performance. See this thread as an example.
rick7

Post by rick7 »

Dan, that's interesting. I am using a different security package on my Windows 7 desktop computer where I don't have this "Not responding" problem.

btw, I wasn't able to click on any link you might have referencing in your email.
rick7

Post by rick7 »

Endicott wrote:OK - here's what solved the problem for me: run TB in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I have not had a recurrence of "not-responding" since then - more than 3 months.

Endicott, I just noticed your post here from yesterday. Before I think about changing my security software, I have just set TB to run in Windows XP compatibility mode and will see what happens. I wonder, though, what features of TB might be lost...?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry, rick7, that link apparently didn't get added before. Here it is now -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2824535
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

rick7 wrote:
Endicott wrote:OK - here's what solved the problem for me: run TB in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I have not had a recurrence of "not-responding" since then - more than 3 months.

Endicott, I just noticed your post here from yesterday. Before I think about changing my security software, I have just set TB to run in Windows XP compatibility mode and will see what happens. I wonder, though, what features of TB might be lost...?

None

Regarding McAfee, see https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... ues#McAfee
mitsou

Post by mitsou »

please excuse my ignorance. i too have been having problems with thunderbird not responding. it is so annoying. where does one change compatibility mode that previous posts have mentioned. i would like to see if that works however i believe it may be related to a mcaffee upgrade as it has happened to me previously.
thanks.

just to mention also that with my isp i have no choice but to use mcaffee.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. How does your ISP enforce your use of McAfee?

2. Changing the compatibility mode should have no relationship to McAfee or any updates of that security program.

3. To change the compatibility mode, right click on the shortcut you use to launch Thunderbird, then click on "Properties" in the context menu. Next check the box that reads "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" and click on the "OK" button.
mitsou

Post by mitsou »

it's part and parcel of using shaw in winnipeg, manitoba. thank you for the directions to change compatibility mode. i will try and see if it makes a difference as it really is driving me crazy.
rick7

Post by rick7 »

Since I switched to running Thunderbird in XP compatibility mode, I'm not getting the "Not responding" error but I think that's only because that specific error message only came into being with Windows 7! I think Thunderbird is still freezing and not responding but it just isn't telling me this in so many words.

I'll try disabling some aspects of McAfee as suggested in one of the referenced articles and see if that makes a difference. I have a feeling it will.
James

Post by James »

mitsou wrote:just to mention also that with my isp i have no choice but to use mcaffee.

You do not need to use McAfee in order to use Shaw as you can use Windows, Mac OSX and Linux and connect with a variety of hardware that uses a internet connection with Shaw cable.