Losing bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hellene

Post by hellene »

Anonymous wrote:In my particular case (I was the guest that replied four posts above), it does seem to have been a result of scandisk. I searched for "FOUND" and obtained the folders FOUND.000 and FOUND.001. Inside FOUND.001, FILE0002 and FILE0003 contained my bookmarks.

Why would scandisk randomly trash Firefox bookmarks? There's something the browser is doing which is causing this to occur. Furthermore, scandisk ran automatically after my system inexplicably crashed. I have to wonder if this was a result of Firefox itself.

Just to reiterate what I said. FOUND.XXX are files generated by the SCANDISK utility. The only way they appear on a pc is if the SCANDISK utility has been run at some point. SCANDISK will run on startup if there has been a crash or other failure to close down correctly - it runs before Windows loads, so if you are in the habit of turning on and walking away for a moment, you may not notice it running.

SCANDISK does nothing to Firefox bookmarks. As I said (and apologies if it wasn't clear enough) what I believe is happening is that Firefox itself is failing to either close or write back to bookmarks.html correctly (I don't know which as I haven't delved into the code, but from what others are saying I believe it has bookmarks.html open while the browser is open, so issue is with closing the file). A possible error is recording the length wrongly in the FAT (File Allocation Table) that Windows uses to record where the hell things are on your hard disk. Another possible error is failing to include a stop bit.

Either way, when Firefox opens again it can't find its own file. It creates a new one, which has nothing in it.

What SCANDISK, or another file recovery utility, will do is find the old file floating around in limbo on another part of the disk, which at least gives the possibility of recovering it.

Since the problem never happens to most people, and happens regularly to some poor sods, one possible explanation is bad sectors on their hard drive (I come from the days when this was much more common than now, and there were no utilities you could run in the background to clean up the mess. Norton, after all, started out making disk recovery utilities). If the bad spot coincides with the start or end bit, Firefox will not be able to load the file, and will create a new one, and it may do this on several occasions.

This suggestion only applies in situations where the user has not upgraded (different problem) or created a new profile for any reason (different problem), or also lost themes or extensions (different problem.)

Hope that makes it clear.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy

Post by Guest »

This problem of losing bookmarks has happened to me recently, and while i've learnt my lesson that I need to backup, I could do with a little more help... I've found the bookmarks.html file wiith a recovery program, but when I open it, its all weird characters with no html. Heres a bit of it:

¬ê«N~ Âû¬™)ëKÜú™1«ðJõP·ÓEºÝ²äÐƦ¢ŽdD¾oÕL9¶FøQ¨âU2âø7¤L1"m†bŽÍ¾|»òDSÐ
rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

[quote="Anonymous"]This problem of losing bookmarks has happened to me recently, and while i've learnt my lesson that I need to backup, I could do with a little more help... I've found the bookmarks.html file wiith a recovery program, but when I open it, its all weird characters with no html. Heres a bit of it:

¬ê«N~ Âû¬™)ëKÜú™1«ðJõP·ÓEºÝ²äÐƦ¢ŽdD¾oÕL9¶FøQ¨âU2âø7¤L1"m†bŽÍ¾|»òDSÐ
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.
hellene

Post by hellene »

the-edmeister wrote:Come up with an enhancement bug number and I'll vote for it!

Hell, we'll all vote for it. I've never lost bookmarks (checks just in case) but too many people are suffering this problem, and you shouldn't *have* to download a third party product just to cover your ass.
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Congratulations to the anonymous Guest for correctly spelling 'losing'.

Post by Guest »

As far as bad sectors is concerned, I am having this problem on a brand new computer (24 hours new) so I doubt that is it. All my old bookmarks are backed up. I deleted the bookmarks.htm file and replaced it with my backup. All of my old bookmarks are now there when I open firefox. However, any new bookmarks I add (like this thread for instance) disappear every time I close the program. I could manually back up every time I surf, but I doubt that is going to happen. I guess I just have to wait for an upgrade or fix... A shame, firefox has been good up til now.

Post by Guest »

Oh for that matter, something I havent seen mentioned is that I periodically get an error message that tells me "preference changed failed. All preferences will be lost at the end of this session." Most times the program is not so gracious as to warn me.
hellene

Post by hellene »

That's gotta be a profile problem. If it's a new computer, did you do a new install of FX or port it over from an old machine?

If the latter, could I suggest creating a clean profile and seeing if the problems return? See http://the-edmeister.home.comcast.net/t ... g_box.html for profile info

----------
Edited about 10 times due to unfamiliarity with BBCode extension
azmar

Post by azmar »

Anonymous wrote:Oh for that matter, something I havent seen mentioned is that I periodically get an error message that tells me "preference changed failed. All preferences will be lost at the end of this session." Most times the program is not so gracious as to warn me.

Also check that the files in your profile are not set to read-only.
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

If I mess up a computer, it's usually because I set all my setup or system files to ReadOnly. Everyone has their own way of screwing up, but sometimes it's best not to tinker. Being too persnickety can be a mistake.

Post by Guest »

hellene wrote:That's gotta be a profile problem. If it's a new computer, did you do a new install of FX or port it over from an old machine?

If the latter, could I suggest creating a clean profile and seeing if the problems return? See http://the-edmeister.home.comcast.net/t ... g_box.html for profile info

----------
Edited about 10 times due to unfamiliarity with BBCode extension

Since I had the bookmarks backed up I just deleted all profiles and started over and Imported my back up. works fine now.
michiganmike

Post by michiganmike »

I have read this thread and am hoping that maybe Stoneskull could help me. I did NOT get asked to create a new profile, but after reading your reply I did indeed find the folder files called FOUND.000 and FOUND.001

So, what do I do with these found file folders and how do I get my bookmarks back?

It seems that A LOT of people are losing their bookmarks today. Just look thru the "Mozilla Firefox Support" forum topic titles!! Wow. Feels like a Friday the 13th or something.
"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
hellene

Post by hellene »

Anonymous wrote:Since I had the bookmarks backed up I just deleted all profiles and started over and Imported my back up. works fine now.

Glad to hear it :)
hellene

Post by hellene »

michiganmike wrote:I have read this thread and am hoping that maybe Stoneskull could help me. I did NOT get asked to create a new profile, but after reading your reply I did indeed find the folder files called FOUND.000 and FOUND.001

So, what do I do with these found file folders and how do I get my bookmarks back?

First thing is to see what's in 'em. It's not guaranteed to be your bookmarks, but fingers crossed 0X

Open the folder and see what is in it. Your looking possibly for a file called something like mozbak.temp, but don't despair if you cant see that name.

Open the files with a text editor (Notepad or Wordpad) and see what is in them. The bookmark urls will appear as urls in plain text, so you should be able to see pretty well whether it's your bookmarks or something else.
stoneskull

Post by stoneskull »

Hi again.

Holy Moly. This thread has gotten huge.

Bookmarks are a key part of the whole world-wide-web experience.. to think of them as insignificant, or that the loss of them couldn't affect you too much, i guess says to me that maybe you just visit a few sites.. there are a lot of us who have hundreds of important bookmarks.. they are like gold - or water, maybe (you don't miss it til it's not there).. and then when they've gone you hear 'well, you should've backed them up, go back them up, here's the backup program, no this is a better one....'

Grrr.. as if the browser is more important than the bookmarks!

As if Firefox is more important that the hours, days, weeks, months of your life!

OK, I'll try and go thru step-by-step what I did.

Firstly, this relates to having tried everything and being at that stage where you're pulling your hair out (where I was) just about given up and are knocking on the door of Opera or Avant or whoever.. and Scandisk did just run recently and has dumped the file in its folder.. but you don't know what to do.

Secondly, I have to say that since my problem only happened the once, I guess my instance was just a shut down hiccup. It's really worth it to let scandisk run after a bad restart.. don't cancel them.

Do a scandisk now if you cancelled it.

Go to your control panel and then go to your folder options.

Enable system files and hidden files to be seen.

Go to My Computer and choose the drive firefox is installed on (usually C: )

If the files are there, you'll see a FOUND folder.. go in there.

Now, that could be different for Windows 98/ME users.. I'm not sure, I use Windows 2000.

If you've got the files, open each one with Notepad.

Either right-click it and choose Open With.. Notepad

or Run Notepad and choose File/Open and then choose the file.

If you see web addresses in there that match your bookmarks - it's your lucky day.

Close Notepad, and don't save it if it asks you to.

Copy the file and paste it on your desktop.. rename it to bookmarks.html

Open Firefox and go to Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks...

Choose Import.. choose From file..

Then select the file on your desktop.

Now, it's been a while so my memory is good but not perfect.

I'll check back if I can help any more, or if I got something wrong.

But anyway, I think it's time for those regulars who do it, to cut back on trying to impress and prove how nerdy they are, and tune-up their ability to provide simple, straight-forward solutions to people.

Elvis has now plastered a poster of himself on the buiding with the statement "Sigh.. It's all about me!"

Evil Ernie's pet spraypainted over that "No, it's all about me! Hee hee"

Well, message me if you want - I don't charge $5.
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime