[Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
phkhgh

Re: [Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Post by phkhgh »

Thanks. Is it possible to have just one icon on the nav bar (or where ever) that shows the other icons / options, when you click or R click it? At least, have the "main" icon show the other icons / options that you choose, or just show all - since they'd now be in a menu, not on the toolbar?
Three of them are just the same as the other three but with the menu on a dropdown arrow instead of needing a right click

Meaning, one set of 3 icons uses a click to show menus & the other set uses R-click?

The reason I asked about 6 icons is, that's what was shown in example screens (I believe). I don't remember a screen of a drop menu w/ available options under that menu & sub-menus.

Regards,

Edit:
Now I see the tooltip popup, mentioning the 2 different sets of icons. I have to hover the screens a good while for the tooltip to show (longer than I'd normally hover an image). Good idea, but not sure why it takes so long to appear.
BTW, when I click the 1st image, it opens a full page in a new tab - which is fine. Doesn't appear to be a way to move through the images in slide show, the way screens for most every addon listing on AMO works.
phkhgh

Post by phkhgh »

Sorry if this is repetitive, but does CC (v3.5) have the ability to delete certain cookies, as soon as tabs are closed, that contain the cookies?

I can't find that in the extensive CC info on AMO d/l site. I thought I read some site touting that feature - specifically for it.
Fairly certain a CC reviewer on AMO, said they liked its ability to delete cookies when tabs close. I believe you - Lipizzan lithopsian - told a poster here, that deleting cookies automatically wasn't a feature.

Will the correct CC feature please stand up? (What's My Line show)
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

No, if you want a single dropdown with all the functions on it, it is on the tools menu from the menubar. Until they stop breaking the Firefox GUI, that will be the only place that is available. Once they get their act together and the dust settles, it may appear elsewhere. The buttons will remain separate because they show different things. If you don't need to see those things then the menu is there with everything on it (more than are on the buttons, to be honest, but don't tell anyone).

The image slideshow on the AMO page works for me, although the placement of the prev/next "buttons" is sometimes weird and sometimes hidden in the text. That page is chock full of javascript and things that look like tooltips often aren't. Not sure what you're seeing. I get the images in a fade-in panel thing.

Cookie Controller has no automatic cookie deletion functions, other than what Firefox does normally based on the configuration settings. For example, if you set session only permissions then cookies will be deleted at the end of a session (which is when Firefox closes, not when a single tab closes) but that is Firefox doing the deleting.
phkhgh

Post by phkhgh »

Thanks.
No, if you want a single dropdown with all the functions on it, it is on the tools menu from the menubar.

Could you clarify? I'm not sure which question you're answering there, or if it was answered (in my mind).

Except for complexity of programming such behavior being prohibitive, I don't really see why there couldn't be one icon on the "toolbar" & the color(s) and / or added shapes on the icon, indicate several of the most important states.
The remaining 2 icons & their info (or their menus), along w/ other options or info would be displayed once the main icon is clicked - the way 99.99% of all addons work.
I get that it's nice to have certain info relayed at a glance via several different icons, but if most addons did the same, the toolbar would be overrun w/ icons. You couldn't find anything. But, I think most of the same (important) info could be relayed, even w/ only one CC icon.

This isn't meant to trash CC at all - just observation about reality & how most addons (& browsers) work. Having multitudes of icons displayed constantly would be a bit like using highlighting on an entire page of notes - then nothing stands out. That's why I asked about the ability in CC, to get the same info that the Permanent & Tidy icons normally give, by instead combining icon visual cues AND including the same info in menus? Seems it should be an option, at least. Not singling CC out - some others have multiple icons, but most offer the ability to hide select icons & then access them & their info via a mouse click.

Addons using multiple icons w/ no option to hide some (get info another way), seems a tiny bit like saying, "My addon's info is more important than others" (& deserves more toolbar space). Some addons w/ really important info, might justify 10, 20 or 30 icons on a toolbar. Say, NoScript & many others; dozens of browser (privacy / security) settings could be displayed on main GUI. Those settings are no less important than any addon, incl. CC, but every important setting can't be displayed constantly.

But, I'm still a bit confused between your comments here & instructions from the addon page. Instructions seem to indicate you don't have to put all 3 icons on toolbar (definitely not Tidy icon).
Toggle button, the one with a picture of Cookie Controller. This will be red or green, as Cookie Controller decides what your current configuration is closest to, but nothing has changed yet.

Many cookie managers / other addons use changing colors method, so that's fine.

yellow cookie Perm button. This will indicate the exact cookie permissions for the current page. Different icons indicate at a glance whether the current page is allowed to set cookies and the tooltip will give more detail.

Don't see why this couldn't be "combined" w/ the Toggle button (& put the Perm icon and its options under the main icon menu). e.g., IF... main icon was showing, say, specific colors for cookie permissions on current site, logically it means that cookies are allowed. The specific color(s) would show which permissions. If all cookies are blocked, the "main" icon would be a different color, anyway. Red for all blocked; other colors & marks show cookies are allowed AND which specific type, all on one icon. Cookie man could even turn 3 colors at once

Stop! You probably don't need the third [Tidy] button. If you think you really do, see the advanced configuration section. There are also masses of options on the button context menus and the tools menu, but you will rarely need those either.
The Tidy button
The third and final Cookie Controller button is the Tidy button, showing a crosshair on an unfortunate cookie. It allows you to delete some or all cookies (or DOM storage) by clicking the button,...

This indicates that some / all of the icons or buttons do NOT have to be placed on a toolbar - you can get the info elsewhere. True or not?

Cookie Controller has no automatic cookie deletion functions

Well, not sure what this reviewer was talking about - auto-delete. Maybe ? he meant deleting cookies by clicking an icon? :
Works the way I want Rated 5 out of 5 stars

by bethel95 on August 20, 2013 · permalink · translate

I've been using Cookie Controller for about six months, and have been very satisfied with the way it works and how it can be configured. In particular, being able to auto-delete session cookies and specify an expiration age for other cookies gives me the granular control I want and need.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Argue all you like, the perm button and toggle button are not going to be combined into a single button. They show two entirely different and unrelated pieces of information, as well as performing two different and entirely unrelated tasks when they are clicked. If you don't need this information visible at all times, and you don't need to be able to perform those tasks with one click, then the tools menu is always available, or you can choose to hide/cascade/copy the buttons elsewhere with any number of third party tools, or just using Firefox native configuration options. Incidentally, the tidy button functions were initially not on a third button, but the cookie-deleter crowd wanted it. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it doesn't hurt anyone and I can't think of a way to dramatically improve it so it can stay.

All the icons do NOT have to be placed anywhere. None of them have to be placed anywhere. I know people who use Cookie Controller entirely from the tools menu. Support for this will improve once the Firefox UI settles down in its new form. Everything you can do and see from the buttons can be done or seen from the tools menu, although obviously only after a click or two. It looks like the standalone tools menu is actually going to stick around as an important part of the UI, something which was in doubt a year ago, but who knows what will happen in another year.

Firefox auto-deletes session cookies. When it closes. The addon has nothing to do with this. In fact, the definition of a session cookie is that it is deleted when a session ends. However, note that in some situations closing and restarting Firefox may retain some session cookies, most obviously when the entire previous session is recovered.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

Do you can to fix the 575 line in cookieController.js to:
if (element && !element.hasAttribute(attribute))
to work in SeaMonkey in the future versions?
ty.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

I think I see the right line, but it isn't line 575 here. Are you looking in a file already modified in some way for SeaMonkey?
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

I have converted online.
The line in the original is 567.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

v3.6 is approved already. The line you want should be there now, plus a small fix from a while back.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

ty, now i have this error in 221 line of cookieController.jsm:
this.query = NULL;
fixed in:
this.query = null;

again, I first I did not realize that SM does not automatically update the toolbar button state cookie. While the listbox is updated.
I do not know you have an interest in supporting six MS.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Can you tell I've been programming in C recently?

I don't understand what the button state cookie is. Or the listbox. I do remember that when I looked at supporting SeaMonkey, 99% of it worked straight away and the rest looked like a real pain so I dropped it.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

button state cookie
is the button in toolbar browser, green or reed indicating cookie status
listbox
is the list that show on right click on button in toolbar.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

The cookie status change is triggered by a preference observer. If any of the following prefs change, it should get reset:
dom.storage.enabled
cookieBehavior
lifetimePolicy
alwaysAcceptSessionCookies
thirdparty.sessionOnly
lifetime.days

The menu is built dynamically so it doesn't care about notifications.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

But it not change when i change tab
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Why would it change when you switch tabs? Which button is this? I thought you were talking about the toggle button (gingerbread man). That shouldn't change between tabs.

Do you mean the perm button (cookie with a green tick)? That is driven from a progress listener, the onLocationChange callback. I don't know how that works in SeaMonkey, but I would have expected it to be more or less the same.