Replacement for Extension List Dumper?

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dmccunney

Replacement for Extension List Dumper?

Post by dmccunney »

I've been a happy user of Extension List Dumper for some time. I'm always looking at extensions, adding new ones and removing ones I turn out not to use, and ELD helps a lot in keeping track.

Unfortunately, ELD stopped working in the most recent Firefox Nightly builds. The extension window opens, but there's nothing in it.

There doesn't seem to have been any work done on it in a while, and email to the developer has gone unanswered.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something that does work in Nightly that can do the same thing?

Thanks!
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
RobertJ

Re: Replacement for Extension List Dumper?

Post by RobertJ »

ELD does not work in FF30b either.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Nightly Tester Tools seems to still work in Fx 30b at least.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Thanks Alan. I have NTT and forgot about that capability.

dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Alan Baxter wrote:Nightly Tester Tools seems to still work in Fx 30b at least.

Thank you.

I looked at NTT a while back, but forgot that was a feature. I've installed it, and can at least get a list of extensions, even if I don't have all the options ELD did for the format and content of the list.
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Bummer, looks as if it's officially dead -- that was a rude awakening when I updated to v30. :(
Definitely does not work and my emails to the dev are likewise unanswered.

Very handy extension, even for those of us on the Release channel (backups, creating new profiles, etc).

No word on a possible replacement?

It sure would be swell if someone could pick it up....
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

As a work around you could go to about:support and copy the list there and also get a plugins list by using about:plugins.... just enter those about: locations in the address bar and hit enter
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I was wondering what this extension did so I downloaded it. It's broken of course, but I thought it might be an easy fix. I turned debugging on. After looking at the logs, from ELDumperOutput.js I remarked out: *****DON'T DO THIS - READ BELOW*****

Code: Select all

//      var XPIProvider = Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm")
//      var addons_db = XPIProvider.XPIDatabase.getAddons();
and

//            for (var tmp_i=0; (!db_found && tmp_i<addons_db.length); tmp_i++) {
//               if (addons_db[tmp_i].id == ELDumperOutput.arr_id[i]) {
//                  tmp_addon = addons_db[tmp_i];
//                  db_found = true;
//               }
//            }
from 'getAddonsByTypes_callback: function(list_addons)' and it started working again. I only played with it for a few minutes, but everything seemed to work to me. I thought that information might be useful to people here.

edit: Of course I remembered the real fix after that post. Change 'resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm' to 'resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm' (and don't remark anything out.) That's from this blog: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/05/27/compatibility-for-firefox-30/. So, in the same file, ELDumperOutput.js, change:

var XPIProvider = Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm")
to:

var XPIProvider = Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm")
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Chris000001 wrote:I was wondering what this extension did so I downloaded it. It's broken of course, but I thought it might be an easy fix.

<...>

edit: Of course I remembered the real fix after that post. Change 'resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm' to 'resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm' (and don't remark anything out.) That's from this blog: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/05/27/compatibility-for-firefox-30/. So, in the same file, ELDumperOutput.js, change:

var XPIProvider = Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm")
to:

var XPIProvider = Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm")

Bless you! Gotta love a fix that requires adding one word to a parameter in a file. Extension List Dumper now works again in Nightly.

Thank you very much.
______
Dennis
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Interesting that it would be such an easy fix.

Is there a solution for those of us who are just homer users?

I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
daledoc1
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Daledoc1 wrote:Interesting that it would be such an easy fix.

Is there a solution for those of us who are just homer users?

You mean, a copy of the XPI with the fix applied?

It's actually easy to do. An XPI file is a Zip archive. I keep copies of the XPI files for things I use in a Mozilla folder, and install them via "Install from file". I used 7zip to open the XPI, edited the JavaScript file where the fix is made, saved it back into the XPI archive, and installed the modified XPI.

But I stashed a copy of the changed XPI on my Google Drive, with the version bumped to 1.15.3.:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByMy9N ... sp=sharing

You should be able to grab and install that.

I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

You're quite welcome. Glad to help.

daledoc1

______
Dennis
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Works like a charm!

Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Addon List Dumper (restartless) 0.1 seems to work fine as well.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Ed1 wrote:Addon List Dumper (restartless) 0.1 seems to work fine as well.

It does but I don't want the "button" on the toolbar.

Besides one minor change to the extension list dumper makes it functional. I may see if I can get the original updated to include the "one line change".

dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

RobertJ wrote:
Ed1 wrote:Addon List Dumper (restartless) 0.1 seems to work fine as well.

It does but I don't want the "button" on the toolbar.

That's easily fixed through Customize. It can be placed elsewhere.

I have enough extensions installed that the lack of the Addon bar in Australis was a major issue, as there isn't room on the Nav bar for all of the icons I might need to click. My solution was to install The Puzzle Piece, which adds back the Addon bar, and you can have stuff on the addon bar display in the URL box. It puts an icon in the URL box which expands to the set of icons you placed there when clicked. Addon List Dumper can be put there and behave as expected.

I'm very happy to have Extension List Dumper working again, but have Addon List Dumper installed as well for convenience. It's quicker to invoke it from the relocated Addon bar than to open the Addons page, click the icon, and select Dump list.
______
Dennis
Last edited by dmccunney on June 13th, 2014, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.