Windows x64 release build

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Jan.

Windows x64 release build

Post by Jan. »

I compiled a stable release build of firefox x64 for windows. Don't worry about the nightly branding, it's only like that because it's an unofficial release. I recommend you manually update from my github page and disable automatic updates if you use this build. I will keep updating this with new builds as they are available.

https://github.com/Jan02/firefox-x64

James wrote:Win64 builds are not supported with the same priority as the Win32, MacOSX 32/64 bit and Linux 23/64 bit builds are. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Supported_build_configurations
Last edited by Jan. on August 23rd, 2014, 10:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Virtual_ManPL

Re: Windows x64 release build

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

=> Third Party/Unofficial Builds
your post belongs there ;)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Third Party Builds.

Direct link broken.
Jan.

Post by Jan. »

fixed link, seems to been broken during topic move.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Link intentionally broken. Do NOT restore that live link.
Jan.

Post by Jan. »

DanRaisch wrote:Link intentionally broken. Do NOT restore that live link.

What about this link ? https://github.com/Jan02/firefox-x64/releases
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

thank you. exactly what I was looking for. Pcxfirefox hasnt been updated yet to the latest version, and Cyberfox/Waterfox are simply crap.
FF really needs to release an official 64bit version, especially now that Chrome is gonna have one in September.
xunxun1982

Post by xunxun1982 »

KilliK wrote:thank you. exactly what I was looking for. Pcxfirefox hasnt been updated yet to the latest version, and Cyberfox/Waterfox are simply crap.
FF really needs to release an official 64bit version, especially now that Chrome is gonna have one in September.

I have updated pcxFirefox 30.0 just now.
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

KilliK wrote:thank you. exactly what I was looking for. Pcxfirefox hasnt been updated yet to the latest version, and Cyberfox/Waterfox are simply crap.

Don't all Gecko browsers use the Gecko engine? I really don't see any difference between firefox, palemoon, waterfox except for the way they look on the surface.

For some odd reason if waterfox, palemoon, & firefox are installed together, they tend to interfere with each other-my experience but they all work otherwise. Waterfox (read on another site) has now been accepted as a Mozilla project. My preference is Seamonkey for windows 7. I also noticed another strange thing, that one of the 3rd party build requires vb to be installed.

The problem for 64 bit, a lot of extension & plug-ins don't work.

I use Seamonkey for everyday use.
I use google chrome for filmon tv, read.amazon.com, and apps
I use internet explorer for Nick videos (their buffering needs work)
I use internet explorer for Hulu free videos through my isp
Trippynet

Post by Trippynet »

I guess it depends on how many extensions you use. I only have 6 add-ons, however all are compatible with PM x64, as is Flash etc.

Ultimately, the only advantage of a 64bit browser as I see it is if you have a LOT of tabs open. 32bit ones can run into RAM limitations with a load open, which 64bit avoids. Of course, if you only have a few tabs open (or even 20 tabs open), 32bit is just fine.
xunxun1982

Post by xunxun1982 »

groze5858 wrote:

Don't all Gecko browsers use the Gecko engine? I really don't see any difference between firefox, palemoon, waterfox except for the way they look on the surface.

For some odd reason if waterfox, palemoon, & firefox are installed together, they tend to interfere with each other-my experience but they all work otherwise. Waterfox (read on another site) has now been accepted as a Mozilla project.

It's your misreading, mozilla only provide the source code, Waterfox is not a Mozilla project.
groze5858 wrote:
KilliK wrote: My preference is Seamonkey for windows 7. I also noticed another strange thing, that one of the 3rd party build requires vb to be installed.

The problem for 64 bit, a lot of extension & plug-ins don't work.

I use Seamonkey for everyday use.
I use google chrome for filmon tv, read.amazon.com, and apps
I use internet explorer for Nick videos (their buffering needs work)
I use internet explorer for Hulu free videos through my isp

Because of calling convention reasons, x64 program can't use x86 plugins, at present, we only can create a x86 plugin-container for x86 plugins in x64 firefox, but this is very complicated.
When I build pcxFirefox 15.0 x64, I try to make it can use x86 plugins : http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcxfire ... z/download
James

Post by James »

groze5858 wrote:Waterfox (read on another site) has now been accepted as a Mozilla project.

It is listed as a software that is built using Mozilla technologies. It is still a third-party application and not officially supported by Mozilla.
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

Trippynet wrote:I guess it depends on how many extensions you use. I only have 6 add-ons, however all are compatible with PM x64, as is Flash etc.

Ultimately, the only advantage of a 64bit browser as I see it is if you have a LOT of tabs open. 32bit ones can run into RAM limitations with a load open, which 64bit avoids. Of course, if you only have a few tabs open (or even 20 tabs open), 32bit is just fine.

Trippynet, I tried an experiment. I have 4 gib memory win7 64 bit. I used firefox 32 bit current version and firefox 64 bit nightly build. I had flashblock on. I was using IMDB free movies lookup. The maximum on 32 bit is about 75 pages before it crashes. The maximum for the 64 bit is about 150 pages but I do about 100 because 150 is slow. No downloads were downloading. Downloads will reduce the tab limits and so will playing a flash movie.
avada

Post by avada »

Is it normal that this build shows up as nightly? Also, what will it update to? It successfully searches for an update.
Jan.

Post by Jan. »

avada wrote:Is it normal that this build shows up as nightly? Also, what will it update to? It successfully searches for an update.

Like is said on the project readme, it says nightly because it is an unofficial release. It is also recommended you disable automatic update for this build and update by downloading a new build at https://github.com/Jan02/firefox-x64/releases