SeaMonkey Sync to another computer is impossible

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Roger Davis

SeaMonkey Sync to another computer is impossible

Post by Roger Davis »

I have a new install of SeaMonkey on another computer. If I try to sync, it will only give me a screen with prefilled numbers that I can't change, or ask me to do a new setup.

How, PRECISELY, STEP BY STEP, do I register the new install with existing installations already synced?
woodrowGrant
Re: SeaMonkey Sync to another computer is impossible

Post by woodrowGrant »

if your question is, how do I migrate from one computer to another, copy Seamonkey folder from computer1, and paste into Mozilla folder in computer2
    Linux. . . . . . . ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... eaMonkey_2
Roger Davis

Post by Roger Davis »

Not migrate, just add another computer to the two already in use.
Roger Davis

Post by Roger Davis »

OK, got it. Just need to learn to read carefully.
Roger Davis

Post by Roger Davis »

Apparently didn't get it... the "Next" box on the new device remains grey and uclickable, and bookmarks do not appear on the supposedly added machine. The already synced machine says the new one is added, but I can't tell anything is done.
woodrowGrant

Post by woodrowGrant »

to copy bookmarks from one place to another, hit Ctrl_B
in the Menu bar, click Tools
click Backup;
    save bookmarks-2014-06-xx.json to USB or whatever
restore bookmarks-2014-06-xx.json from USB to wherever you want the bookmarks
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Roger Davis wrote:I have a new install of SeaMonkey on another computer. If I try to sync, it will only give me a screen with prefilled numbers that I can't change, or ask me to do a new setup.

How, PRECISELY, STEP BY STEP, do I register the new install with existing installations already synced?

You can't use Sync.

Known Issues
This list covers some of the known problems with SeaMonkey 2.26.1. Please read this before reporting any new bugs.

You cannot set up a new Sync account or pair a device anymore (bug 998807). Workaround: Use an older version of SeaMonkey for such tasks for now.

SeaMonkey 2.26 Release Notes
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Roger Davis

Post by Roger Davis »

WLS wrote:
Roger Davis wrote:I have a new install of SeaMonkey on another computer. If I try to sync, it will only give me a screen with prefilled numbers that I can't change, or ask me to do a new setup.

You can't use Sync.

Known Issues
This list covers some of the known problems with SeaMonkey 2.26.1. Please read this before reporting any new bugs.

You cannot set up a new Sync account or pair a device anymore (bug 998807). Workaround: Use an older version of SeaMonkey for such tasks for now.

SeaMonkey 2.26 Release Notes
Wow... one of the major features is broken...

Looking ahead, is there any idea of when this might be fixed?

I see in the bug report that several version are apparently not working -
status-seamonkey2.26: affected
status-seamonkey2.27: affected
status-seamonkey2.28: affected
status-seamonkey2.29: affected
So does this mean that all those are / will be affected?!? Right now "about" shows 2.26 on my machine.

As far as using older version as a workaround, does this have to be done for both machines, the new one, the old one, or both?

How do I step back in Ubuntu? Windows?

Once synced, will sync be maintained on later versions?

Thanks!
therube

Post by therube »

(i know nothing of sync...)

Zart> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... refox-sync - so basically they want to re-register account to upgrade to 1.5?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Roger Davis

Post by Roger Davis »

therube wrote:(i know nothing of sync...)

Zart> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-update-to-the-new-firefox-sync">https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... refox-sync</a><!-- m --> - so basically they want to re-register account to upgrade to 1.5?
OK, lets see if I've got this right...

1) Instructions for FireFox will work with SeaMonkey???

2) All my synced info will be retained, nothing lost?

3) Just unlink all devices (2 with Windows, 2 users each and 2 with Ubuntu, 2 users each).

4) Check that all are updated to (2.26 ?) version or later.

5) Create a new account (FireFox or SeaMonkey? Either or Both?) from the browser.

6) Relink devices - Can these be done separately and not in sequence without screwing things up, as they are at different locations?

5) Done?
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Roger Davis

Post by Roger Davis »

Now I'm even more confused - apparently the new FireFox sync won't work with SeaMonkey at all?

Perhaps someone in the know can clearly define the situation between the following possibilities:
- Do the FireFox thing mentioned above, it will work for the 3 existing machines, as well as the new one in process of setting up
- Do the FireFox thing, it might work, but won't hurt anything if it doesn't
- Don't do the FireFox thing, it will cause problems for sure
- Don't bother to worry about it, SeaMonkey will have it's own solution soon
- SeaMonkey won't have a solution for a long time
- SeaMonkey will never have Sync again...
- Some other possibility
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

The problem as I understand it is that the "core" code for Sync support (which is shared with Firefox) has changed effective with SeaMonkey 2.26 (i.e., Gecko 29.0). This broke the functions in the SeaMonkey code which rely on that shared part. Hence, at this time, all current versions are affected by this issue and thus won't allow to set up sync or to pair a device for the first time. You may be able to pair the device by temporarily going back to 2.25 and then let it upgrade again to 2.26.1 (hopefully the paired association persists).

As for fixing, it seems that there is some understanding what happened but no solution yet. If it can be fixed within the next four weeks it may make it for the 2.28 release (due in the 2nd half of July), otherwise later.
Roger Davis

Post by Roger Davis »

Thanks for the understanding of the situation.

I trust that there will be continued effort to fix the situation until success occurs. That leads to another question - will there be some way to tell when the problem is fixed, other than to just keep trying it?

Thanks!
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

You can follow the bug report, any relevant action should happen there, or just look at the release notes when an update is due.