[Ext] PrefBar - The all in one button container

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
M-Reimer

Re: [Ext] PrefBar 6.3.0 released

Post by M-Reimer »

I tried the "Javascript (Tab)" checkbox and for me it works as expected.

The expected behaviour is:
- New tabs *always* open with javascript *enabled*
- If you disable javascript for one tab, then only this one tab doesn't have javascript enabled.
- If you open a bookmark into this "javascript disabled" tab, then the bookmarks loads without javascript features.
- "Javascript (Tab)" status is not stored anywhere. So if you close a Firefox session with javascript disabled in a few tabs and restore this session at a later date, then all tabs have javascript *enabled*.
- If you open a link from a "non-javascript" tab into a new tab, then this link opens in a tab with javascript *enabled*.

Most limitations of this feature are limitations of the Firefox backend. It would be nice to have the status recovered with session restore or to make tabs, opened from a "javascript disabled" tab, inherit this setting from the parent tab. Some users would even like to have all new tabs open with javascript disabled by default. All this would require dirty hacks as Firefox doesn't offer such features.

I guess you accidently unchecked the "Javascript" checkbox and so disabled javascript globally. If you do so, then it is *not* possible to reenable javascript just for one tab. The global checkbox overrides the tab based setting.

Disabling and uninstalling PrefBar changes *nothing* to the setting changes, you did. Most PrefBar features are Firefox features and PrefBar only gives you easy access to them. The better idea is to keep it installed and undo your changes.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Firefox can store this data in the sessionstore.js file as "disallow":"Javascript" or "disallow":"Plugins,Javascript" for multiple items, but you need to reload the page after changing the tab permissions to make Firefox save this data and have this setting survive a restart.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or expected behavior...
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

I'll publish a new version (6.4.0) soon to fix some smaller bugs with Australis an Firefox 29.

If someone wants to help with testing, then he may find a trunk build here: http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/prefbar/ ... -trunk.xpi

Thank you very much in advance.
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

Is there a way to add a bookmarks folder to PrefBar? I already have a few high frequency bookmark/links on PrefBar. But can I insert a folder of bookmarks there?
Paul
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

Windows 7 (x64)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.26

I downloaded the trunk version of PrefBar from http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/prefbar/ ... -trunk.xpi on 12 May 2014 but did not install it until today. I installed it for only one browser profile. So far, I do not see any problems.

Since I use SeaMonkey and do not have the "Australis" theme, none of the changes relative to the Firefox user interface are visible to me.

I noticed that the InfoList button still indicates this is version 6.3.0 and not 6.4.0.
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

psaulm119 wrote:Is there a way to add a bookmarks folder to PrefBar?

Maybe what you are searching for is the "Submenu" item. You can fill it with all types of buttons. Even bookmarks.
M-Reimer

Re: [Ext] PrefBar 6.4 released

Post by M-Reimer »

A new release is on its way. This release contains a new feature for the "Resize Menulist". Now it is possible to create entries that only set the width or height without modifying the second value. Have a look at the help system to find out how to use this.

The new release also contains many fixes for the new Firefox 29 interface (Australis). I hope that all major bugs are fixed now. If someone still has problems, then please contact me.
ElTxolo

Re: [Ext] PrefBar - The all in one button container

Post by ElTxolo »

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
tomdev

Post by tomdev »

Hello I use Prefbar extensively for several years and I think I could have run through a bug ( a memory leak) with at least the last version Prefbar 6.4.0 and firefox 29.0.1:
create a button with just the following code in the onClick window
for(var i=0; i<100; ++i){ if(i % 10 ==0) alert(i);}

running the script up to i=100 will see the resident memory increasing about 50M (I monitor the memory with MemCHASER firefox addon : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... memchaser/)

the same experiment with a javascript bookmarklet does not show any memory increase. for the bookmarklet I use this code :
javascript:void(function(){for(var i=0; i<1000; ++i) alert(i)})();

Thank you so much for this very usefull extension
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

Sorry for the late reply. I had a look at your memory problem. You can have the same memory information if you use the builtin "about:memory". I wasn't able to reproduce your problem.

Maybe some other addon causes the problem? Did you try with a new profile and only PrefBar installed?
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

It looks like I'm going to create a new profile, and I'd rather not have to do all the work to get my PrefBar to where it is now. Is the prefbar.json file in my profile, all I need to back up? If I move that into my new profile, will my bookmarks all be there?
Paul
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

Yes, all the buttons are stored in this one file.

You'll only loose the settings, you did in the "Options" pane.
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

M-Reimer wrote:Yes, all the buttons are stored in this one file.

You'll only loose the settings, you did in the "Options" pane.

That's fine, I don't know that I tweaked anything there, but even if I did, that is a simple enough menu to reconfigure.

Thanks. Copying one file makes a nice, quick backup.
Paul
rold5

Post by rold5 »

Thanks for a great extension!!
Since upgrading to Firefox32 though, the clear cache functions are no longer working.

This explains what changed in Firefox 32:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2840333

I've made a rather incomplete patch to prefbar.jar:content/buttonCommands.js so the clear again works for my needs ... note that it doesn't honor the type of cache to clear, but it just clears everything.

Code: Select all

function prefbarClearCache(aType) {
  var cacheService = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/netwerk/cache-storage-service;1"]
    .getService(Components.interfaces.nsICacheStorageService);
  try {
    cacheService.clear();
  } catch (e) { dump("Prefbar cache clear() caught exception"); }
}

(My apologies if this is a duplicate or has already been addressed elsewhere that I didn't find.)

Thanks again!
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

Thanks for reporting this. So far noone reported problems with "Clear Cache" and Firefox 32.

I'll have a look at this. A new release is pending and this fix will be added. I just have to write some code that works in Firefox 32 and all the older versions including SeaMonkey.