While FF30 works out its issues I'm trying out IceDragon ...

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
merry widow

While FF30 works out its issues I'm trying out IceDragon ...

Post by merry widow »

It seems to be extremely fast (I'm using the portable flavor).

Comodo's IceDragon . . . This version uses a Firefox engine. Every add-on I've been using with FF30 has worked so far.

Comodo's Dragon . . . This version uses Google's Chrome engine

It's such a relief to have something stable and portable.
Folder@Home

Re: While FF30 works out its issues I'm trying out IceDragon

Post by malliz »

Oh for pete's sake =;
Last edited by malliz on July 1st, 2014, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to third party builds.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

malliz wrote:Oh for pete's sake who gives a damn?

Huh, apparently a merry widow that has a supposed firefox in it's avatar.
Otherwise , ditto!
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Icedragon is Firefox with some of Comdo's security items added. The major problem is that it is based on 26.0.0.2 (assuming they are updating their web site). While they may be back porting security fixes there isn't any indication that they are so it is anyone's guess. Also, freezing at 26.0.0.2 is a curious choice. It isn't that much different then the ESR (currently V 24 but not for long) but makes it necessary that they maintain it rather just getting updates to the Firefox parts from Mozilla.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
merry widow

Post by merry widow »

Malliz I seem to be colliding with a number of members on this board and hope that I won't suffer the fate of those who have been banned (I was about to insert an exclamation mark but caught it in time). I have a "style" of posting that apparently offends quite a few of the members here; and if it makes you feel any better, I confess you are not the only board whose members find my style obnoxious (looks down, sad). I am eccentric, and become more so as I get older. Years ago Malliz I had posted to one forum (that shall remain nameless) and a member quoted my post by responding with one question: May I ask how old you are? I cried. There were bullies on that forum and I am well shod of the site; but this forum I have genuine respect for and never wish to displease. We're all here because we love Firefox.

It was never my intention to appear to be shouting. I don't know if you can believe this but it's actually difficult for me to type in plain text when the option to use features of the board are made available to me (quite ridiculous I know but there you have it). Friends, I certainly do apologize and will try to post in strict ASCII in future.

LoudNoise I wasn't certain where to place this thread so please accept my apology for your having to move it.

Eccentrically yours,

merry widow

Post by LoudNoise »

No problem. Happens all the time and takes about 30 seconds to cure :)
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

IceDragon is made possible by the Firefox open source project based on Firefox 26.0.0.2

What kind of "security" company distributes a browser based on a version with known and published security exploits? And as I recall, this is their MO, they pick a random Firefox build to hack, distribute it and then wait a random amount of time and do it again.

AND they distribute through Download.com AKA CNet AKA the website that hasn't been reputable in many years because they have been distributing adware and malware in their installer package! It tells me everything I need to know about how trustworthy Comodo is as a security company if they don't even bother vetting the sites they distribute their software through.

Have fun with that. Most of us here wouldn't touch anything that comes off Cnet with someone else's computer.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Personally MerryWidow I could care less how old you are. We have a wide spread of ages here. To my mind claiming to be eccentric is an excuse for behaviour that was frowned on when we were growing up better to say you have reached a time in your life when you don't have to care about peoples opinions. This is a tough board as many have said in the past however we do have some of the best minds and knowledge pool of any board I know of and we have the bonus of no animated avatars and signature pictures that look like Las Vegas at night.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"