cert8.db and key3.db database files in C: root folder?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
borsuczek

cert8.db and key3.db database files in C: root folder?

Post by borsuczek »

Since a couple of days I've seen that my cert8.db and key3.db files have been placed directly on my C: drive (no folder). As long as I remember they should be stored in my FF profile folder, am I right?

I haven't changed a thing in my FF configuration in last days so I simply can't see a reason for which those files were somehow migrated to my root folder. Especially I haven't imported any personal certificates into FF.

What can I do to make the "go back" where they belong?
JayhawksRock

Re: cert8.db and key3.db database files in C: root folder?

Post by JayhawksRock »

Normally cert8.db and key3.db would be in your profile. Are there copies there as well?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
borsuczek

Post by borsuczek »

Yes, they are there as well. However, the file size of cert8.db in the profile folder (336 KB) is much larger than this of file in the drive root folder (64 KB). Both key3.db are of the same size, but I haven't hashed them, so can't tell whether they are exactly the same.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

I dont have a clue as to how you got 2 sets, unless you have multiple profiles and/or profiles are in a non-standard location. I would rename, with firefox closed, cert8.db in both locations to something like cert8.db1 and cert8.db2 and restart Firefox. The file will be replaced on restart with a fresh copy, hopefully in the proper location. The downside is any custom personal certs you have added will be lost.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
borsuczek

Post by borsuczek »

Thanks for the tip! There are no customized elements of my FF profile - like its location, name or whatever. I've also not imported any personal certificates, so there shouldn't be any harm caused by suggested operation.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

borsuczek wrote:Thanks for the tip! There are no customized elements of my FF profile - like its location, name or whatever. I've also not imported any personal certificates, so there shouldn't be any harm caused by suggested operation.

good luck... make sure you are using an
Admin account, I dont think a normal user account can make a change to certs files
therube

Post by therube »

You (normally) cannot mistakenly copy a file into C:\, as you are not allowed to write files there.
Possible a program, extension may be able to?

I'd run a malware scan.
MalwareBytes (fast) scan would be my choice.

Date/time of the files correspond to anything else?
How about the file attributes?

cert8.db is a binary file.
Is the one in C: also binary?
If you look/compare the two, size aside, to they "look" similar?
Are (99% of) the first 16,384 bytes "empty" (null's) in each file?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thanks but you're 6 years late with the reply.

Please check the date/s before posting.

Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)