can't remove Firefox desktop shortcuts

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Cakewake

can't remove Firefox desktop shortcuts

Post by Cakewake »

Hello

I just downloaded the 1.0.2 version of firefox and directly after the installasion was complete three Firefox desktop shortcuts appeared. None of the three shortcuts work and when I try to remove them a text-box appears with the headline "error when removing file/folder" and the text: "Can't remove file. can't read from the source file or the source disk." (this is translated from swedish so I'm not sure that the translation is totally accurate).

This problem isn't really doing me any harm but it is nontheless irritating so I'm asking if anyone has any ideas of what I could do too remove the shortcuts.

thanks in advance

Jonathan
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

Anonymous wrote:Hello

I just downloaded the 1.0.2 version of firefox and directly after the installasion was complete three Firefox desktop shortcuts appeared. None of the three shortcuts work and when I try to remove them a text-box appears with the headline "error when removing file/folder" and the text: "Can't remove file. can't read from the source file or the source disk." (this is translated from swedish so I'm not sure that the translation is totally accurate).

This problem isn't really doing me any harm but it is nontheless irritating so I'm asking if anyone has any ideas of what I could do too remove the shortcuts.

thanks in advance

Jonathan
Did you have a previous version(s) on your system? Did you uninstall it (them) first before the new install? If this doesn't apply to you, try deleting Firefox setup.exe file for 1.0.2. before attempting to delete the shortcuts.

Post by Guest »

Now that you mention it, I actually didn't remove the previous version of firefox I had on my computer before instaling version 1.0.2 . should I delete firefox 1.0.2 and install it again?

thanks
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

Anonymous wrote:Now that you mention it, I actually didn't remove the previous version of firefox I had on my computer before instaling version 1.0.2 . should I delete firefox 1.0.2 and install it again?

thanks
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/1.0.2.html
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2 Release Notes
has the downloading and installation instructions. Read carefully.
Make special note of "known issues," "frequently asked questions and extensions/firewalls, etc.
At this point, if FF is working, download 1.0.2 to desktop. Then, uninstall all previous versions and reboot. then reinstall. It is possible that your profile was corrupted so keep in mind you may need to make a new profile but that's not a difficult task and don't be concerned about it yet.
penny111

Re: can't remove Firefox desktop shortcuts

Post by penny111 »

That's a jacked response. You are getting paid millions in advertising. The least you can do is correct your scripts as opposed to expecting the people who put food on your table to go through the pains of uninstalling, cleaning, rebooting, reinstalling........... ONLY TO HAVE THE SAME ISSUE!!!!!!!!!

Fix the error.
LIMPET235

Re: can't remove Firefox desktop shortcuts

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi penny111,

I take it that you did not notice the date of the last post?
viz; > 7th Apr 2005.

Please, check the dates before posting.
Thanks muchly.

Locking this oldie..

ps. If you have a problem, just start a new thread.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)