No folders or mail shown

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
snee

No folders or mail shown

Post by snee »

Hi all - hope someone can help me.

Checked my email today and Thunderbird froze. I left it a couple of minutes then force closed and reopened. Same thing happened. Launched again and checked for update - there was one so I downloaded and installed.

Reopened Thunderbird and a blank window was all that greeted me:

I get a popup in the bottom right when a new mail comes in, and my accounts show when clicking the 'get messages' button.

I've tried backing up my profile, uninstalling TB, deleting folder in %appdata%, rebooting, and reinstalling - this just opens a 1/2 screen width, 1/4 page height blank window without launching the wizard.

Can anyone help me here?

I'm running Windows 8.1, using a wired connection, no power outages have occurred, all accounts (2 email accounts with 1and1 domain, 1 gmail account) were sorted into many folders. It appears all of my filter rules have gone too... :(
DanRaisch

Re: No folders or mail shown

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
snee

Post by snee »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

Hi,

Yes it does. I've just installed Eudora OSE which DOES show the folders, mails, filter rules etc., but crashes as soon as I click on an email to read - tried deleting the .msf files and restarting, but still crashes.

Seems to me the problem is with my profile folder(?), but I don't want to lose everything as I've set it up (folders, rules and emails), so is there somehow I can save that info and 'rebuild' my profile from that alone?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
snee

Post by snee »

All 3 accounts are setup as POP.

Having read a few more things, I'm considering uninstalling everything (I still have my profile folder backup!), reinstalling, setting the 3 accounts as IMAP and trying an import from a copy of the backup...would this be worth trying do you think?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That might be worthwhile but first... When you refer to "deleting folder in %appdata%," exactly what folder(s) did you delete?
snee

Post by snee »

I deleted the whole Thunderbird folder in %appdata%

I've got a solution for now - uninstalled everything, installed TB 24.6.0 and after first run, closed TB and copied my profile folder into the newly created profile folder.

Everything is back.

Once I've caught up with emails I'll try updating...

Thanks for your responses - I'll advise how I get on...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Good luck.
snee

Post by snee »

OK, updating to the latest version gave me the same problem so I went back to version 24.
netscan

Post by netscan »

Same thing (no folders) occurred on Thunderbird 31.0 on Mac OS X 10.9.4
running on Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-Core Xeon 24 GB 1333MHz DDDR3 ECC.

Restoring old binary Thunderbird 24.7.0 resolved this problem.
snee

Post by snee »

Hey netscan,

Did you get the same blank screen as I did (see top post)?

Glad you managed to get everything back - hope this thread helped :)