Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Lemon Juice

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

Post by Lemon Juice »

Moreover, if you want to convert an addon from https://addons.mozilla.org then you don't have to provide a direct link to the xpi file, you can simply input the URL of the addon page. The exception are addons which don't have a direct download/install button but instead lead to another page that first asks for monetary contribution - so in those cases it's enough to input the URL of the contribution page because the direct download link is on that page.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Gort

Post by Gort »

Zoom Page seems to install fine, but the button it places on the tool bar is invisible, even if you drag it there from the Customise menu. Also, in the Zoom Page's options, the actual setting to change the tool bar icon's size and features is inoperable. So, I suppose this extension is one that appears to not work even when converted.
therube

Post by therube »

I use an on-demand method, Zoomr (preliminarily reviewed).
Also modified the hold time to 900ms.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Has anyone got Hide Caption Titlebar Plus to work, no luck here.
I'd love to disappear that top bar but suspect the Extension may be too Fx/Australis specific?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

@On Linux, Open Profile Folder https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search doesn't work, the preferences box is broken.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Retep8 wrote:Where can I find the xpi-file of an add-on, to upload it into the converter. "Download" on an add-on page offers no choice to select the file? Kindly excuse, if I have missed to find a help-file for the converter.

In addition to smsmith's "right-click" answer, if you have already installed the add-on (but it doesn't work), or if you have installed it in Firefox or Thunderbird, it is found in your profile as either an .xpi file (packed) or as a directory and its contents (the unzipped .xpi) in the "extensions" subfolder of the profile where it is installed, but under a strange name which can be found (without the .xpi) in the "ID" column of the about:support "Troubleshooting Information" page. If there is an .xpi of that strange name in your profile, that's it, no sweat. If it's a subdirectory, you can zip it using any zip utility, then rename the .zip to .xpi; or if your zipper lets you specify a full output file name, give it a name ending in .xpi
Best regards,
Tony
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

I really appreciate the converter - it is really nice to have all these supposedly incompatible extensions working in SeaMonkey. (Why can't Mozilla do that? - rhetorical) I have tried to screen out the ones listed as working in the OP, as well as ones that were already compatible; I did not search the entire thread however. My criteria for using the converter was just that the button on AMO addons page was greyed out (I did not test all these to see if they actually required conversion before doing it). And I also did 2 not from AMO but don't know if it is OK to list those (can give those to OP by PM if interested). Unfortunately I haven't kept a list of what didn't work but there weren't a whole lot. In a few cases, e.g. Ghostery, I tried older versions with the converter (some still didn't work), but most of these are or were current when I did it. Thanks, Lemon Juice.
(updated 08-27-14)

Autofill Forms 0.9.5.2
Better Privacy 1.68
BlockSite Plus 1.1
Fire Commander 0.3.10
Ghostery older ver 5.2.1
Link Alert 1.0.2
Modify Headers 0.7.1.1
Video WithOut Flash 1.4.2

Work without conversion even though SeaMonkey max version is old:
Live HTTP headers 0.17
NoRedirect 1.3.2.13
PDF Viewer 1.0.277
Request Policy 0.5.28
SQLite Manager 0.8.1
Toggle Word Wrap 1.9
Last edited by unbeleevabull on August 27th, 2014, 3:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

unbeleevabull wrote:I really appreciate the converter - it is really nice to have all these supposedly incompatible extensions working in SeaMonkey. (Why can't Mozilla do that? - rhetorical) I have tried to screen out the ones listed as working in the OP, as well as ones that were already compatible; I did not search the entire thread however. My criteria for using the converter was just that the button on AMO addons page was greyed out (I did not test all these to see if they actually required conversion before doing it). And I also did 2 not from AMO but don't know if it is OK to list those (can give those to OP by PM if interested). Unfortunately I haven't kept a list of what didn't work but there weren't a whole lot. In a few cases, e.g. Ghostery, I tried older versions with the converter (some still didn't work), but most of these are or were current when I did it. Thanks, Lemon Juice.

Adblock Edge 2.1.4
Autofill Forms 0.9.5.2
Better Privacy 1.68
BlockSite Plus 1.1
Bluhell Firewall 2.3.0
Clean Links 2.6.0
Flagfox 5.0.5
Form History Control 1.3.3.0
Ghostery older ver 5.2.1
LastPass 3.1.1
Link Alert 1.0.2
Live HTTP headers 0.17
Modify Headers 0.7.1.1
NoScript 2.6.8.36
NoRedirect 1.3.2.13
PDF Viewer 1.0.277
Private Tab 0.1.7.3
Reminder Fox 2.1.5
Request Policy 0.5.28
SQLite Manager 0.8.1
Video WithOut Flash 1.4.2

You didn't need to convert NoScript, it's author has a version for SeaMonkey.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

And you didn't need to quote my whole post to say that. :P
Anyway, I might have read that in this thread but my memory is not photographic. If there is a SeaMonley version, why isn't it on AMO? (no need to answer; I see the bias)
therube

Post by therube »

AMO is often wrong (& in particular in relation to SeaMonkey).
IOW, regardless of what they say, you may just need to try & see what happens.

There are no "specific" versions of NoScript (except for Mobile). There is only one version, fully supported in both browsers. AMO, SeaMonkey, btw, NoScript Security Suite.

Others you have listed also work out of the box, like Bluhell Firewall. And then others, already modified, mostly older at this point (& in some cases would need to be verified working with current SeaMonkey), on Philip's page, Modified Firefox Extensions.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

I do not agree that my best choice is/was to just install it and see what happens. I did that for some before using the converter. Once I found that the converter worked well, I chose and still choose to run them through the converter to improve the chance of the install working. It's time consuming enough without redoing installs, and there did not seem to be any negative effect of using the converter. I did go to that MozDev site early on in the process. I tried several of the extension links there and I don't think any of the links ever worked, so I gave up on the whole list there.

I made a couple of edits to my list (had included one by mistake, compiling the list wasn't easy). Anyway, I only posted it in case the converter author was interested; it's up to him whether he adds any. (If he had listed an email for feedback on the converter page I would not have even posted here.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /searchwp/

Breaks really badly after converting. Entire searchbar vanishes, etc.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

unbeleevabull wrote:My criteria for using the converter was just that the button on AMO addons page was greyed out (I did not test all these to see if they actually required conversion before doing it). And I also did 2 not from AMO but don't know if it is OK to list those (can give those to OP by PM if interested).

Thanks, sure I want to add new extensions to the original list, however these criteria (button greyed out, etc.) are not good. Very often an addon is compatible with a little bit older version of SM but works perfectly in the current one - the AMO button is greyed out and it reads "Not compatible with SeaMonkey x.xx". This is not really your fault - the compatibility information on AMO is very misleading (and often inaccurate), especially for SM. A pretty good method of checking if an addon is compatible with SM (meaning "written for SM of any version) is one of these:

1. Take the AMO URL of a Firefox addon like this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/form-history-control/
and replace "firefox" with "seamonkey":
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/form-history-control/

If the page loads without redirecting back to the firefox URL then this means SM is supported (however, official support may be for older versions of SM).

2. Try using the converter and if you see the yellow warning "This add-on appears to already support SeaMonkey..." this means SM is supported.

In either of these cases such an addon SHOULD NOT be converted because there is more likelihood of some things breaking than working better. You may safely use the converter to change maxVersion only for such addons. In many cases the converted SM addon will work fine, however you may experience a few unexpected problems. Only if the original addon does not work properly should you experiment with running it through the converter.

I think I should post this information on the addon converter page because some people convert addons that do not need conversion at all.

unbeleevabull wrote:Anyway, I only posted it in case the converter author was interested; it's up to him whether he adds any.

It would great if you check your list of addons using the methods above since some of your listed addons support SM out of the box and it doesn't make sense to consider them here. Certainly, we also want to include addons outside AMO - just provide the URL.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if I will attempt to reevaluate my list because it already took a good bit of effort to compile since I wasn't keeping a record from the beginning. I didn't know when I started that I was going to need the converter for so many or that it work as well as it does. Maybe if I get really bored I'll consider it, but if you already know some don't belong then just ignore those (tell me which ones and I'll edit my post if I can). I did save the converted xpi files for later ones I did, and I can check those if needed (I rechecked the greyed out button for them before posting but I guess I could also do the link test you suggest). FWIW, I kind of feel like it's not my responsibility to verify if AMO is right, though. SeaMonkey is an official Mozilla build, so they should do the converting so the users don't need to (even though the actual converting is the easy part).

One that I just did that completed conversion but would not actually work:
Magnifier 0.6 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... magnifier/
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

unbeleevabull wrote:One that I just did that completed conversion but would not actually work:
Magnifier 0.6 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... magnifier/

Just at a glance, this one looks like it pulls styles and images, and probably shares code with the Firefox Inspector stuff which is not a part of SeaMonkey. This one is probably completely a no-go.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

OK, updated my list. I used the suggested url test and also reinstalled the ones that just showed an outdated SM version number.