groze5858

Release question

Post by groze5858 »

Release question.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

looking at the upcoming release on that website. It say's

"SeaMonkey 2.29 Based on Gecko 32 Currently in BETA channel
Moves to RELEASE week of September 2, 2014"

What is confusing is this statement in the same section.

"Upcoming Releases

NOTE: The dates listed in this section refer to the date of the code merge, not the date of release. See the branch migration calendar for more information. "

I did look at the calender, unless I overlooked it, I never did see a date SeaMoney 2.29 will be available for download.

Does any know when will the release candidate for SeaMoney 2.29 will be available for download? I know you can downloaded the beta. I use Seamonkey for most of my banking, that wouldn't be wise to use a beta for banking sites.
LoudNoise

Re: Release question

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to SeaMonkey Builds
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
therube

Post by therube »

The next release should be 2.28.

SeaMonkey 2.28 release delayed
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

That wiki page is somewhat automated by templates. Thus, whenever Firefox moves on to the next release and they update the version and next-merge dates, they automatically bump SeaMonkey versions and dates as well (except for the 2.26.1 entry which was generated manually).

On the other hand, technically 2.28 is on the release and 2.29 on the beta channel now. It's just that 2.28 yet has to be built and released (as possible, given the issues cited in the other thread).
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

so therube & rsx11m, when will the SM 2.28 beta or release builds be ready? it's already August 5, barely 2 weeks after Firefox 31 was released and I don't see them anywhere. what is the current status of SM 2.28?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

4td8s wrote:so therube & rsx11m, when will the SM 2.28 beta or release builds be ready? it's already August 5, barely 2 weeks after Firefox 31 was released and I don't see them anywhere. what is the current status of SM 2.28?

The current status is REAL SOON NOW

Phil
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

How soon Philip Chee? Tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday...? WHEN?
Cant wait forever for SM 2.28 to be ready.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

4td8s wrote:Cant wait forever for SM 2.28 to be ready.

No? Why not, what's so urgent?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

4td8s wrote:How soon Philip Chee? Tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday...? WHEN?
Cant wait forever for SM 2.28 to be ready.

SeaMonkey users are the ones who can take the time and relax without having to rush *immediately* for the latest and greatest :mrgreen:

BTW, there is a small number of SM devs and we may not realize how much work it requires to prepare a release, esp. when something does not work as it did before + for many people it's holiday time :!: 8-)
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
aodash

Post by aodash »

Lemon Juice wrote:SeaMonkey users are the ones who can take the time and relax without having to rush *immediately* for the latest and greatest :mrgreen:

I'm fine without the latest and greatest, except when it comes to security fixes. With the continual security threats in this day and age, running an outdated/vulnerable browser is like playing with fire.

If 2.28 isn't coming, then 2.26.2 with the security fixes needs to be shipped.
NanM

Post by NanM »

If a person's on tenterhooks about security, nothing stopping them running the Moz browser with the most recent fixes as a stopgap is there? If just for judiciously chosen sensitive sessions, a little Fx pepper won't hurt the sensibilities too much, shirley?

Posting out of lurk to register appreciation for Phil's taking time to keep us up to date with update updatings :-)

This 2.26.1 is rocking, btw. Solid as.
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

aodash wrote:
Lemon Juice wrote:SeaMonkey users are the ones who can take the time and relax without having to rush *immediately* for the latest and greatest :mrgreen:

I'm fine without the latest and greatest, except when it comes to security fixes. With the continual security threats in this day and age, running an outdated/vulnerable browser is like playing with fire.

If 2.28 isn't coming, then 2.26.2 with the security fixes needs to be shipped.

Does it really matter on the security? Technically no browser secure from the point they are made.
Windows 7, Windows 8, Flash are always being updated continuously. I used an old browser without updating for quite awhile, go not viruses or spyware and that was windows xp sp3. It took me awhile to use open source because someone could stick badware in their real easy.

There are these aurora version, don't how secure they are or how buggy they are.
seamonkey-2.28a2.en-US.win32.installer
seamonkey-2.29a2.en-US.win32.installer
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

groze5858 wrote:Does it really matter on the security? Technically no browser secure from the point they are made.
Windows 7, Windows 8, Flash are always being updated continuously. I used an old browser without updating for quite awhile, go not viruses or spyware and that was windows xp sp3. It took me awhile to use open source because someone could stick badware in their real easy.

There are these aurora version, don't how secure they are or how buggy they are.
seamonkey-2.28a2.en-US.win32.installer
seamonkey-2.29a2.en-US.win32.installer

the latest 2.28a2 aurora release was back on 6/9/2014 and the latest 2.29a2 release was 7/21/2014.

no matter. i can wait at least another week if & when SM 2.28 final will be ready.
James

Post by James »

^Those are not Releases per say.

The Aurora development channel has had 2.30a2 being developed on it since July 22. Note that Aurora and also Nightly get checkins almost everyday and therefore they get a update each of those days. Random Aurora builds are not meant to be used like a Release.
aodash

Post by aodash »

FYI:

TLDR; no SM 2.28, 2.29 is coming:

http://codeverge.com/mozilla.dev.apps.s ... -s/1997934