Fx 34 / Trouble with Flashblock starting 19 Aug

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Fx 34 / Trouble with Flashblock starting 19 Aug

Post by joeg »

As of the latest Nightly (19 Aug, 64-bit version), with Flashblock (1.5.17) activated, I can't watch any Flash videos anywhere. As soon as I disable it, everything is fine.

I've been using it with no problem (until today) since I re-started testing the Nightly about a month ago.

Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
streetwolf

Re: Fx 34 / Trouble with Flashblock starting 19 Aug

Post by streetwolf »

I'm not the author of FB but I knew how to fix it. Grab my fixed version here.... http://1drv.ms/1q0dV5V
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Thanks streetwolf. Your fix works fine on YouTube, the website of the German magazine "der Spiegel", the BBC site, and some other "professionally-coded" sites.

For some reason, though, it doesn't work on my own lousy-coded site.
For example: http://edu-net.net/media/balcony/ (Warning: cat video!!! J)

I see the Flashblock arrow as expected, but when I click it, I don't get the notice asking me if I want to activate Flash. The video window opens, but there's a black video window with another arrowhead in it, and clicking it doesn't do anything.

By the way, I have my website (edu-net.net) in the Flashblock whitelist, and I had the Flash plugin set to "Always Ask". Even when I changed it to "Always Active" and restarted Fx, though, it didn't work.

It only works when I completely deactivate Flashblock (even with your fix).

By the way, I'm also using the latest Flash beta 15.0.0.108.

Do you need any other info to try to troubleshoot? Thanks again.
Last edited by joeg on August 20th, 2014, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

JoeG wrote:Thanks streetwolf. Your fix works fine on YouTube and the website of the German magazine "der Spiegel".

For some reason, though, it doesn't work on my website. For example: http://edu-net.net/media/balcony/ (Warning: cat video!!! J)

I see the Flashblock arrow as expected, but when I click it, I don't get the notice asking me if I want to activate Flash. The video window opens, but theres another arrowhead in it, and clicking it doesn't do anything.

By the way, I have my website (edu-net.net) in the Flashblock whitelist, and I had the Flash plugin set to "Always Ask". Even when I changed it to "Always Active" and restarted Fx it didn't work.

It only works when I completely deactivate Flashblock (even your fix).

By the way, I'm also using the latest Flash beta 15.0.0.108.

Do you need any other info to try to troubleshoot? Thanks again.

Must be a 64bit thing - WFM on latest m-c win32 build on Win7 x64
joeg

Post by joeg »

TheVisitor wrote:Must be a 64bit thing - WFM on latest m-c win32 build on Win7 x64
I've just tried the FlashBlock fixed version with the 20 Aug 32-bit Nightly. Again, it didn't work on my website (e.g. http://edu-net.net/media/balcony/)

@the visitor: Could you please try it on the link I've given here?

Thanks very much.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

JoeG wrote:
TheVisitor wrote:Must be a 64bit thing - WFM on latest m-c win32 build on Win7 x64
I've just tried the FlashBlock fixed version with the 20 Aug 32-bit Nightly. Again, it didn't work on my website (e.g. http://edu-net.net/media/balcony/)

Thanks very much.

Yes, I did test as above with your link - two tiger stripped/spotted cats listening to birds and looking for a snack :)
joeg

Post by joeg »

TheVisitor wrote:
JoeG wrote:

Thanks very much.

Yes, I did test as above with your link - two tiger stripped/spotted cats listening to birds and looking for a snack :)
Hmmmmmmmmm, thanks very much. I really wonder what the problem is. As I've said, I tried the 32-bit Nightly, and it didn't work either.

Which version of Flash are you using?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Using 14.0.0.179 - release version
joeg

Post by joeg »

@ TheVisitor -> I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Another question: Are you using streetwolf's "fixed" FlashBlock or the "normal" version? Thanks again.
--------------------------
Nope, I tried the official Flash release using the 32-bit Nightly, and it still doesn't work. Weird.

I've made a little screen movie that (badly) shows what I'm experiencing.
http://edu-net.net/media/flashprob/

Any suggestions will be most sincerely appreciated.

It would also be interesting to me to know what streetwolf's fix of Flashblock actually fixed.

Oh, and one more thing: It works fine on today's non-Nightly 32-bit Nightly of 24.7.0esrpre with the "normal" Flashblock, also running on 64-bit Win 7.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

My fix to FB was actually quite trivial. Due to a recent patch two files in FB needed to have a new parameter added to their bindings; bindToUntrustedContent="true".

Here's how they look now:

flashblock.xml ... <binding id="flash" bindToUntrustedContent="true">

videoblock.xml ... <binding id="html5video" bindToUntrustedContent="true">

The problem who are having Joe must lie elsewhere.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

JoeG wrote:@ TheVisitor -> I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Another question: Are you using streetwolf's "fixed" FlashBlock or the "normal" version? Thanks again.

Yes, I'm using Streetwolfs 'fixed' version of Flashblock and its working fine here, no issues found yet.
joeg

Post by joeg »

streetwolf wrote:The problem you are having Joe must lie elsewhere.
Thanks streetwolf.

I have to confess that I have no idea what "bindings" are or do. All I know is that your fix fixed YouTube and co., but that my website still doesn't work.

Might it be possible, please for you to have a look at the (very primitive) code on my page to see if anything catches your attention?
---------------------------
Here's an example (though it's not the cat movie) :)
---------------------------
<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, FOLLOW">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX, NOFOLLOW">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
<title>The Boys</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
A:link {text-decoration: none;}
A:visited {text-decoration: none;}
-->
</style>
</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#004080" link="#004080" alink="#004080" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">

<div align="center">

<table border="1" width="1185" bgcolor="#008000" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="10" style="border-collapse: collapse">
<tr>
<td width="75%" valign="top" align="left" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<p align="center"><font color="#008000"><br>
&nbsp;</font></p>
<p align="center"><font size="4" color="#008000">Fx 34 w/ FlashBlock (even
&quot;fixed version&quot;)</font></p>
<p align="center"><font size="4" color="#008000">won't play movies from my
website.</font></p>
<p align="center">

<object classid='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' width='720' height='480' id='single1' name='single1'>
<param name='movie' value='http://www.edu-net.net/media/flashprob/player.swf'>
<param name='allowfullscreen' value='true'>
<param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always'>
<param name='wmode' value='transparent'>
<param name='flashvars' value='file=http://www.edu-net.net/media/flashprob/flash.mp4&autostart=true&provider=video'>
<embed
type='application/x-shockwave-flash'
id='single2'
name='single2'
src='http://www.edu-net.net/media/flashprob/player.swf'
width='720'
height='480'
bgcolor='undefined'
allowscriptaccess='always'
allowfullscreen='true'
wmode='transparent'
flashvars='file=http://www.edu-net.net/media/flashprob/flash.mp4&autostart=true&provider=video'
/>
</object>
<p align="center">

&nbsp;<p>
<b><font size="1"><font color="#008000">&nbsp;Date Time:
<!--webbot bot="Timestamp" S-Type="EDITED" S-Format="%d %B %Y %H:%M:%S" startspan -->20 August 2014 18:34:31<!--webbot bot="Timestamp" endspan i-checksum="46190" --></font><br>
&nbsp;</font></b></td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>
</body>
</html>
--------------------------------------
Of course another possibility is that it's related to the old version of JW Player I'm using. I'm not sure why or how, though, because, as I've written, it worked in the 34 Nightly until yesterday, and it still works in the ESR Nightly.

I'll have to take a look at what changed in the FX code yesterday, though I usually can't make heads or tails of what they've actually modified.
joeg

Post by joeg »

TheVisitor wrote:
JoeG wrote:@ TheVisitor -> I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Yes, I'm using Streetwolfs 'fixed' version of Flashblock and its working fine here, no issues found yet.
OK, thanks.
joeg

Post by joeg »

There were the changes ...
Fixed:

NIGHTLY +33
#1010760 [Core:DOM]-Add nsINode::IsText, AsText like for Element [All][]
#1052427 [Core:DOM]-Make nsContentUtils::ASCIIToLower/ASCIIToUpper infallible [All][]
#1053190 [Core:DOM]-Reduce unnecessary inclusion of nsINode.h in headers [All][]
#1053779 [Core:Editor]-Clean up nsEditor::CreateHTMLContent, ReplaceContainer, CloneAttributes [All][]
#1010761 [Core:Editor]-Use Text in nsWSRunObject [All][]
#1053067 [Core:General]-Correct misspelling "verion" in source code [All][[good first bug]]
#1053605 [Core:Internationalization]-Fix the bad implicit constructors in intl/ [Mac][]
#1054753 [Core:JavaScript Engine: JIT]-Assertion failure: !ptr->isEffectful(), at jit/IonBuilder.cpp [Mac][[jsbugmon:]]
#1054974 [Core:JavaScript Engine: JIT]-Don't recover instructions which have the "Guard" flag [All][]
#1054340 [Core:JavaScript Engine: JIT]-Remove MPcOffset MIR instructions [Mac][]
#1053683 [Core:JavaScript Engine]-Crash [@ js::irregexp::ActionNode::FillInBMInfo] [Mac][[jsbugmon:update]]
#1046006 [Core:JavaScript Engine]-Remove telemetry for JS versions (JS_MINOR_VERSION) [All][]
#1042192 [Core:Networking: Cache]-GIFs get stuck mid-animation [Win][]
#1054144 [Core:Video/Audio]-Add support for 'tfdt' in MP4 parser [Lin][]
#1054149 [Core:Video/Audio]-Fix anFoo coding style violation in content/media [All][]
#1022501 [Core:Video/Audio]-MP4 demuxer needs MP3 support [Lin][]
#1049133 [Core:Video/Audio]-Make eviction offset to time conversion accurate for MP4 [Lin][]
#1053682 [Core:Video/Audio]-MediaSource code cleanups and minor refactorings [All][]
#1053674 [Core:Video/Audio]-Remove subclass of StateMachine and use task queue directly [All][]
#1053658 [Core:Video/Audio]-Split MSDecoder and MSReader into separate files [All][]
#1045591 [Core:Video/Audio]-Version 31 does not respond to HTML 5 audio - Please visit www.mapetiteradio.com - audio stream does not work anymore - was working perfectly in version 30 [Win][]
#929431 [Core:WebRTC: Audio/Video]-Long delay before starting WebRTC session due to camera reinitialisation [Win][[getusermedia]]
#1050036 [Core:XPCOM]-Reduce default and minimum capacity of pldhash [Lin][]
#1030735 [Firefox:Developer Tools: Inspector]-Enable devtools/styleinspector tests with e10s [All][[status:shipped]]
#1054732 [Firefox:Developer Tools: Inspector]-TypeError: listener is undefined in browser_inspector_pseudoclass-lock/menu.js [Lin][]
#960671 [Firefox:Developer Tools: Memory]-Live Memory View [Mac][[status:inflight][apps watch list]]
#803812 [Firefox:General]-"Restart to Update" button label in about dialog is vague [Win][[bugday-20131007] [good first bug][lang=xul]]
#1040868 [Firefox:Preferences]-Add "Default Browser" check setting to preferences [All][]
#1045617 [Mozilla Services:Firefox: Common]-move {storage,bagheera}-server rules into mach [All][]
#1050141 [Toolkit:Download Manager]-Add Telemetry for ApplicationReputation remote responses [All][]

As I've said, it's Greek to me. Streetwolf, how did you know that something had to be changed in FB? You said what you did was "trivial"? You mentioned "Due to a recent patch two files in FB needed to have a new parameter added to their bindings; bindToUntrustedContent="true".

This is all magic to me.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Joe...

Here's the bug I reported the problem 1052480 – Add-ons Flashblock and FlashStopper conflict with Bug 1050049. The solution was given near the bottom of the thread. I just needed to figure out where to add this new parameter in FB.