Bookmarks mystery!

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Michael Graubart

Bookmarks mystery!

Post by Michael Graubart »

I have SeaMonkey 2.26.1 on a Mac mini with OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion).

I have not used SeaMonkey for some time and have been using Safari. Returning to SM, it seems that the Bookmarks system has changed.

I have exported my Safari bookmarks as an HTMI file, named it 'My Bookmarks' and imported them into SM.

• In SM, if I choose Bookmarks/My Bookmarks, all my Safari bookmark folders are there, but only a few of them (randomly, it seems, without, as far as I can detect, rhyme or reason) show the individual bookmarks or subfolders of bookmarks. Most of them show nothing.

• On the other hand, if I choose Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks/My Bookmarks, all the folders open to show their contents.

Why can I not access my imdividual bookmarks (or, indeed, subfolders of bookmarks) straight from the Bookmarks drop-down menu?

Any help will be gratefully received and acknowledged.
Michael Graubart
woodrowGrant
Re: Bookmarks mystery!

Post by woodrowGrant »

Why can I not access my imdividual bookmarks (or, indeed, subfolders of bookmarks) straight from the Bookmarks drop-down menu?

your not seeing them doesn't mean they're not there.
Tag your new bookmarks when you bookmark so you can easily find them
Michael Graubart

Thanks, woodrowGrant. But, as I explained, they are not new bookmarks. They are the hundreds of bookmarks exported from Safari and imported into SeaMonkey. I know that they are there because (as explained above) I can access them by the roundabout way of going through Manage Bookmarks.

In SM's Bookmarks drop-down, all individual bookmarks that were not in folders in Safari appear as expected. All folders appear with their black triangles. But only some of the the folders will open to reveal their contents.

I see, BTW, that the same has happened in Firefox, into which I have also imported my Safari bookmarks. In both, it has made my collection of bookmarks almost useless.
Michael Graubart
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

If you have that HTML file exported from Safari, you can open it in the browser window, open the bookmark manager window, and drag and drop the bookmarks from the page into the manager. You have to make the new folders first.
Michael Graubart

I'm sorry to be so obtuse - or obstinate, if you prefer- but they are already there (and in their proper folders) in Bookmark Manager. They merely cannot be seen in the drop-down Bookmarks menu itself, which is where they belong and where, in earlier versions of SM, they used to be seen. This is a major backwards step in SM (and Firefox) development - a major bug, in fact, which I am inclined to report as such when I return from abroad and have time to do so.
Michael Graubart
truffle

Post by truffle »

Weird.

I understand you are using a more or less brand new installation of Seamonkey, therefore I would be inclined to rule out problems with profile corruption but if you have tinkered with the default bookmarks before importing the html file, then I think it is worth a shot to try with a new profile.
Also I would try to export again all bookmarks from Seamonkey (after importing the Safari ones) and then import them back in a new profile.

A more tedious operation would be to compare the html file from Safari and a test one exported from a new profile of Seamonkey and look for anything that might be causing the problem. I know that this requires at least some familiarity with HTML syntax.

The last idea is to share the html file and see if other users are able to figure out what is going on, but I understand that it may be too personal to share it. In that case, see if you can strip down the set of bookmarks to preserve your privacy and still reproduce the problem, and share that file.

Bye
A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, .sig, dot sig, siggy, or just sig) is a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post.
therube

Post by therube »

Able to post the source (or subset thereof) "'My Bookmarks" .html file?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Michael Graubart

Thank you, Truffle, for reading my posts and taking the trouble to understand the problem. I am about to go abroad for about a fortnight and may not have time to try your solutions before I return, but shall certainly try them and shall report the outcome.

Therube, I am happy to post the bookmarks file, but do you mean the one from Safari or the one now in SeaMonkey? And how/where do I post it?
Michael Graubart
Michael Graubart

Well, I did find time. This is what I did:

1. I deleted new profiles, leaving only the default one. Interestingly, that contains a bookmarks file imported from Safari some months ago which works OK. But it is no longer up-to-date.

2. I freshly exported my Safari bookmarks file.

3. I created a new profile in SM.

4. I imported the Safari bookmarks file. This misbehaved as before.

5. I exported it from SM, created another new profile and re-imported the html file. It still misbehaved.

I do not know enough about html to try your second idea, Truffle. So I should like to post both html files, but I cannot see how to do that. I am trying dragging the files into this window, but am not convinced that it will work. In case it does, 'Safari Bookmarks.html' is the one directly from Safari, and 'bookmarks.html' is the one re-exported from SeaMonkey.

./Users/MichaelGraubart/Desktop/Safari Bookmarks.html

/Users/MichaelGraubart/Desktop/bookmarks.html
Michael Graubart
amrad

Post by amrad »

To post your HTML bookmarks file on the forum, you need to place it between [code] and [/code]. I hope that helps.

Regards,

Dave.
therube

Post by therube »

> do you mean the one from Safari or the one now in SeaMonkey?

Safari.
Depending on its size, you made need to host it elsewhere, or maybe a place like Pastebin.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Michael Graubart

Thanks, amrad and therube. They are quite small, so here they are (both, for good measure):

Code: Select all

/Users/MichaelGraubart/Desktop/Safari Bookmarks.html

Code: Select all

/Users/MichaelGraubart/Desktop/bookmarks.html

Have I understood your instructions correctly?
Michael Graubart
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You have to upload it/them to a hosting site, as per the previously posted link.

Post that link back here.

We cannot "see" anything on your desk top/computer.
:)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Michael Graubart

Here are the two links, LIMPET235, therube and amrad:

(For the original Safari bookmarks) http://pastebin.com/T6LvkUMw

(For the subsequent SeaMonkey bookmarks) http://pastebin.com/juTK80c8

Thanks for introducing me to Pastebin.
Michael Graubart
therube

Post by therube »

Was looking for the actual html code, like Sample bookmarks.html, rather then a textual list of websites names.

And truncate it too, assuming that the truncated sample also fails for you.