Pale Moon has changed its GUID.

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Matt A. Tobin

Pale Moon has changed its GUID.

Post by Matt A. Tobin »

Greetings, My name is Matt A. Tobin and I am a contributing developer and Addons site Administrator for the Pale Moon project. I am writing this forum post to inform you that the Pale Moon browser (originally and historically forked from Firefox) has changed it's GUID. Though we have made modifications to allow Firefox addons to install with the Firefox GUID this change does not cover the Application XUL Overlays that allow your addon to address many Gecko based applications.

While we are preserving the Pre-Australis UI and continuing down our road of independent development this change has partly crippled your addon. The modifications to your install.rdf and chrome manifest files are minor and it would be appreciated if you would support Pale Moon out of the box as the growing number of users in the community using Pale Moon steadily increases.

More information can be found here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5440

If you have any additional questions please contact us either via this thread, our forums, or my self by email.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Peace
LoudNoise

Re: Pale Moon has changed its GRID. Extensions impacted

Post by LoudNoise »

:roll: Split off the ScrapBook+ 1.x thread since it was, to no one's surprise, off topic.

Locking. Any questions should be directed to the palemoon thread listed above.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Re: Pale Moon has changed its GRID. Extensions impacted

Post by LoudNoise »

Note that the Palemoon web page claims "while maintaining compatibility with thousands of Firefox extensions many have come to love and rely on." is no longer true.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
James

Re: Pale Moon has changed its GUID.

Post by James »

Matt A. Tobin you essentially spammed this posting three times in different threads. If you just kept it to one original thread as everybody else normally does in this kind of posting information, there would not have been a issue. All you had to do was post One Thread say in viewforum.php?f=19 OR viewforum.php?f=42

Matt your posts were not deleted as besides this one, two of them were merged and sent to Locked Posts. So it was not deleted as Night Wing claims with "par for the course". as about the only thing that is deleted is Guest spam. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2866835

Heck LN even made a Sticky in Extension Development linking to this one post to help you guys out before he realized you crossposted it three times in different threads.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2866601

And you ignored the two warnings.

And you think you never broke any rules, well how about Crossposting and Off Topic posting.
faq.php?mode=rules#f4r0
faq.php?mode=rules#f4r3

And you are actually breaking another rule with your signature in having four lines ;) but that was not a issue in this case.
faq.php?mode=rules#f3r3

Anybody from Pale Moon forums reading this, some of you at least do not seem to know that Mozilla has their own Support forum for Firefox (and some other products) as in https://support.mozilla.org/questions/ as it has existed as early as 2007. The Contributors part is at https://support.mozilla.org/forums

-------------------------------
JodyThornton, no need to be mad at me when I was just stating what happened and not posting in defense, so chill. Matt just made a bad choice about how he went about posting this information which was perfectly fine in being posted here if it was just a single thread to start with (and not OT CP in existing threads) and not ignored the two warnings. Besides most forums have a rule (or frown upon at least) against crossposting (CP) like this when its own thread was proper. Also it makes it easier to do support/discussions on this information in one thread versus spread out in multiple threads right.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Also, he is banned for a week which is standard for folks who have two warnings for not paying attention to the rules. He will be able to post sometime in the neighborhood of the 14th assuming that he reads the rules that he agreed to follow when he registered.
Post wrangler
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Unlocked at the request of a mutual member.
Post wrangler
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

I thought it might be a good idea to open up this thread a little. Especially as my attention was drawn to this -

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=35625#p35625

Matt Tobin wrote:This is no less than another attempt to directly block, interfere, subvert our abilities to operate freely.

Seems a bit drama queeny to me. Especially considering that it is the same guy who wrote the following here, a few weeks back -

Matt Tobin wrote:This needs to stop.. Both of you.. Trippynet AND LoudNoise are acting childish and infantile. Facts are facts, Pale Moon is a thing.. It will remain a thing. We have our own forum for Pale Moon related stuff. Mozillazine though I disagree with how they conduct them selves sometimes has the RIGHT to do anything they wish on their forums. Up to and including locking threads and (mis)managing their community. It is NOT for anyone else to really say because they can.. just.. you know.. LEAVE!

If their methods are frowned upon by enough people their community will suffer for it.. But it is not for US to continuously keep this god damned argument going. So yeah.. LoudNoise.. please to end this shit.. Cull anyone you want.. as long as this bickering stops. Frankly I am sick of hearing about it first, second, and third hand. I have much better things to do than THIS.

viewtopic.php?p=13676459#p13676459

So, Matt, how does your rigged game stuff work? A total nobody turns up from another forum and kindly states that we are free to moderate here in any way we wish and yet when that happens with you on the receiving end, then you are rushing around, like a man with his hair on fire.

What part of our off-topic rules did you not understand? In what way do our 'spamming of multiple threads with the same stuff' rules, differ to other forums? You chose to repeatedly flout those rules and what? You'll miss the delights of our company for a mere week, is that so very hard to bear?

tl:dr? Look for trouble here and you'll find it. If you're lucky, from a mod. If not, from me.

Let's face it, a simple glance at your fork forum hardly shows a free and easy style of moderation, now does it? Threads locked on any dissent or dissenters ganged up on. Threads locked when the blustering Moonkid bad-temperedly stamps his foot because his utterings aren't agreed with. Wrong advice being given to members. It's not really in a position to advise us how we run this place, is it now?

Unlike your antics, there sure ain't no rigged game at MozillaZine. Not only do we name people outright, instead of hiding behind this 'certain regulars' 'some users' crap, but I have even arranged that your account is temporarily unbanned so that you can reply here.

Now, obviously I'm primarily aiming these comments at you, just because it is you who is bleating the loudest about this, but if any of you other clowns want to chip in, then feel free. Who knows, you might even be able to drag Moonkid out of his comfort zone and get him to join the conversation here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Trippy is likely to get annoyed at you Frank.

He seems to be the go to guy for Poolmood bleating and seems to have a real screw loose about the fact that he never said that it was a folk. This is nonsense of course but it seems to make up a great deal of his identity.

Matt isn't likely to respond since this would make him have to justify repeatedly doing a copy and paste run which, given the default phpbb FAQ, is almost certainly outlawed over there too.
Post wrangler
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LoudNoise wrote:Trippy is likely to get annoyed at you Frank

The name escapes me, but whoever that is that's their problem, not mine.

LoudNoise wrote: Matt isn't likely to respond..

Well, maybe so and certainly after messing up the simple task given to him of going around the forums to post a GUID change, then I'd be inclined to keep a low profile as well. But, these things happen.

However, I thought it only fair that he had access to reply, even if he chose not to use it. Nothing more needs to be said on this really.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Trippynet

Post by Trippynet »

Loud Noise wrote:Trippy is likely to get annoyed at you Frank.

On the contrary. I actually respect that you gave him a fair opportunity to respond.

Loud Noise wrote:it seems to make up a great deal of his identity

As opposed to your identity, which lately seems to consist of a major obsession with me. Do I feature in your dreams yet? :)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

No. The question is simply weird.
Post wrangler
Matt A. Tobin

Post by Matt A. Tobin »

Greetings, keeping a low profile is not a priority for me.

However, as you stated my intended method of contacting addon developers via their support/release threads as their only direct line of communication between users and themselves as evidenced by their AMO pages has provoked a negative response on the part of some who felt I was acting improperly. No matter if that is an accurate perception or not the strategy has been adjusted accordingly to comply with the wishes of the moderation team here at Mozillazine.

We are still in the process of identifying and attempting to contact those who's addons will be broken in the up coming major release of the Pale Moon browser.

I would like to thank you, however, for suspending the balance of my unfortunate suspension from the forum and for opening this thread up and correcting the title. Hopefully this can be a start of a renewed spirit of cooperation and community cohesion for we are all users of Mozilla based technologies and all apart of the Mozilla legacy.

Peace,
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Almost all extension authors at AMO have a support email address listed. You could use these to contact them and therefore would not have to interfere with their support thread.
Post wrangler
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Alternatively, you could have contacted us about how would be the best way to handle this. For a brief period of time, there was a sticky at the top of Extension Development pointing to this thread.
Post wrangler
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Apparently, things haven't worked out well. https://addons.palemoon.org/firefox/incompatible/ .
Post wrangler