FF 32 Scroll Bar

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Roderunner

FF 32 Scroll Bar

Post by Roderunner »

I have just updated to Version 32 & the scroll bar disappears when using mouse wheel on some sites. http://www.howtogeek.com/
Regards
George
smsmith

Re: FF 32 Scroll Bar

Post by smsmith »

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Alchoran

Post by Alchoran »

I'm getting the same thing in a couple of places I visit. It isn't just the scroll wheel: it does it when you click the bar as well.

Initially you can clearly see the scroll portion of the bar, but as soon as you click it or your scroll wheel the bar just disappears, leaving the gray background behind.

I did go into safe mode and it was fine on the same sites I was having problems with.

If I have some time I'll see if I can figure out what is doing it and report back if I find something.

Edited to add:
It also appears to be related to the zoom level. As long as I'm below 150% its fine, over that and I'm getting problems on a number of web sites, including here. Bring it back below 150 and its fine again.

At first I thought it was the NoSquint addon, but it still does it with that disabled, ditto with PageZoom.

If I find anything else I'll do another edit
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Are you using a third party theme?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Alchoran

Post by Alchoran »

Yes, I am using a 3rd party theme and that was the first thing I checked. I just checked again, switching to the default theme, and it made no difference.

The problem seems to shift to some degree as well. When I updated my original post last night I had tried numerous web sites, some more than once, to get the "150%", but this morning I'm finding it happening as low as 130% on a variety of sites.

It isn't that big a deal, and I can live with it, but I thought that other people are probably experiencing the same thing and the more information I could provide the better so that a solution could be found.

If anyone has any suggestions for things to look for or try I'll do my best to do so.
mailman645

Post by mailman645 »

Having the same problem with the scroll bar. When I looked in the update history it said "The update could not be installed (patch apply failed)".
So I downloaded a fresh copy of FF32, tried to install it, pop up "Your computer must be restarted to complete a previous upgrade of Firefox. Do you want to Reboot"
okay, I rebooted, tried to install, same message (restart computer). Went to Control panel tried to uninstall FF32, same message (restart computer).
So it seems I'm caught in the FF loop of hell - any suggestions?

thanx in advance
d
kr11035

Post by kr11035 »

I had the same problem with the scroll bar. I experimented with the setting from the add on ' NoSquint ' and found, if you keep the full page zoom level and the text only zoom level the same, in my case 130% , than the scroll bar is back in operation.
jstooch

Post by jstooch »

I have the same problem, but mine works again at 100%.
hope they fix the problem.
Alchoran

Post by Alchoran »

I tried a few times to see if I could get it to do it in safe mode, and it didn't. That would seem to imply a theme or addon is the problem. Perhaps if we can find a common denominator in those we can narrow it down to what is causing the problem.

For a theme I'm using LavaFox v2-Blue. I also tried Penguin and had the same problem

For addons I've got:

Adblock Plus
Aniweather
BetterPrivacy
Clickjacking reveal
CookieMan context
Disconnect
DoNotTrackMe
FEBE
Flashstopper
NoSquint
Open Bookmarks in new tab
Page Zoom
Privacy Badger
ReminderFox
SmoothWheel
Status-4-ever
Tab Mix Plus
The Addon Bar
TinEye
Toggle Javascript
WOT

I tried disabling nosquint, pagezoom, and smoothwheel, (just now all at once), and it still does it. When I had all 3 off it was fine at 133%, and the problem started at 150%.

If you are having the same problem and have some of the same addons perhaps we can narrow down where it might be coming from.
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

I have a png that shows how I fixed it but can't be added to my reply.
Regards
George
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Here's the "How to...." on posting screen shots here...
> > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

Reduce them to around 600 x 500 or so in your favourite image editor & upload them to Photobucket or wherever.
> http://photobucket.com/

Open the image by clicking on it.
On the RHS, there are a few options. "Links to share this photo."
Choose the [img] link at the bottom & it will be copied to the clipboard.

Paste that link in here.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

LIMPET235 wrote:Here's the "How to...." on posting screen shots here...
> > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

Reduce them to around 600 x 500 or so in your favourite image editor & upload them to Photobucket or wherever.
> http://photobucket.com/

Open the image by clicking on it.
On the RHS, there are a few options. "Links to share this photo."
Choose the [img] link at the bottom & it will be copied to the clipboard.

Paste that link in here.

It seems to me that posting images are not encouraged. I don't have the time to do as you suggested. Sorry.
Regards
George
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

It's just the way that the forum operates.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
James

Post by James »

Roderunner wrote:It seems to me that posting images are not encouraged. I don't have the time to do as you suggested. Sorry.

Posting image attachments would have increased the database load (when forum has had load trouble at times in past) and would also have been another thing that spammers tried to spam here with over the years. Spam got to be bad enough as to why new members require first post approval, since end of March 2011.

Or another site like tinypic.com as you just upload the image file and post the link.
therube

Post by therube »

How do you know the zoom level (%) in FF?
All I'm seeing is In/Out?

In Safe Mode, which you say does not have the issue, are you still at the same zoom level as when running regularly?
Is NoSquint in use for all those seeing the issue?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript