Scrollbars are hidden when zooming a page

Discuss application theming and theme development.
David.Vincent

Scrollbars are hidden when zooming a page

Post by David.Vincent »

Some users tell me a bug with Noia Fox theme and the new Firefox 32 :

- With CTRL + Mouse weel : go to zoom 120% or 130% for example.
- Scroll the page : scrollbar is hidden

I have tested all main themes for Firefox (Nasa, FT Deep Dark, Lavafox, Wallnut,....) and all themes have the same bug. No problem with FX Chrome because this theme doesn't skin scrollbars.
therube

Re: Scrollbars are hidden when zooming a page

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Typically when there is a bug that only appears in a non-default theme that means Mozilla has changed the default theme in some way and the change hasn't been documented or noticed yet. Also, do you use native scrollbars or custom ones?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Aris

Post by Aris »

David refers to custom scrollbars in complete themes. My 'NewScrollbars' add-on is also affected by this new 'bug'.
Santa_Fe

Post by Santa_Fe »

Happens when you use NewScrollbars (aka NoiaScrollbars) as well. ;)
patrickjdempsey

Hmm... AFAIK there have been painting issues with custom scrollbars since Firefox 4.0 that no-one has been able to properly track-down and fix. For a long time images on custom scrollbars would randomly not load... which made some of them totally disappear. Due to those issues I've basically considered custom scrollbars to be unsupported since Firefox 4.0. Does this issue impact the SeaMonkey Modern theme as well?
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Aris

Post by Aris »

That is true, 'missing scrollbar' problems in themes started somewhere around Fx4-7, but Mozilla changed definitively something in Fx32.
Seamonkeys (2.29) modern theme is not affected by this. Maybe we can build custom scrollbars on it?

Offtopic
Just noticed there are no more up to date Aurora and Nightly builds provided for Seamonkey on Windows, while MacOSX and Linux are still getting new builds. Any reason for that?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Aris wrote:Seamonkeys (2.29) modern theme is not affected by this.

Yes, it is.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Aris

Post by Aris »

Strange. In my tests I could not reproduce that glitch using a new profile.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Aris wrote:Strange. In my tests I could not reproduce that glitch using a new profile.

You did all the zooming about and scrolling? Easy to miss/forget if you're doing lots of dull testing. :)

This bug is similar to the long standing Print Preview custom scrollbar bug. The first sign is that the scrollbars increase in size as zoom is applied (native ones do not). This latest bug has the added delight that over a certain (variable) zoom level on general webpages that the thumb just vanishes when dragged/scrolled.

@ For those not familiar with messing around with custom/native scrollbars, it should be noted that their coding can be DOMied via the incontent Addons Manager scrollbars.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Aris

Post by Aris »

Same tests as on Fx, but after another SM restart I could reproduce it on SM too.
patrickjdempsey

So after manually updating to SeaMonkey 2.29 (what's that about anyway?) and testing with Frank's "Silver Scrollbars" extension, I'm able to reproduce this behavior at zoom levels 50%, 150% and 170% only. Same results with the Modern theme at those zoom levels. Disabling Hardware Acceleration doesn't appear to make any difference.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

According to the bug, fixed for Fx33.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
Aris

Post by Aris »

Probably when 33 becomes final this one will be fixed, but currently on beta5 the bug is still present.