Distribution lists

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
boutells

Re: Distribution lists

Post by boutells »

Personally, I would just like a solution. It is obviously a bug or conflict in the latest update. I can't understand why they don't just let us roll back to earlier installations of both the main program and add ons when problems like this arise instead of making us wait untill tjey figure it out.
jgb

Post by jgb »

DanRaisch wrote:I would test to see if a new list, possibly duplicating the membership of an existing list, will send without a problem. I'd make the new list with a very simple name with no spaces, asterisks, or underscores. Perhaps just call it "Test1" or something like that.

That DID work. (Good idea, good thing I thought of it ;-) )

But I have well over a dozen lists, so it would be very much better if Mozilla FIXED the problem.
jgb
boutells

Post by boutells »

Is there a way to copy the whole list over or just create the new list 1 name at a time?
marklang

Post by marklang »

I tried removing the spaces in the name of one of my lists today, and it worked. I notice that when I recall the list name from the address book, the name inside the brackets is not within quotes when there are no spaces. It was in quotes before when I had spaces in the name. Perhaps this has something to do with the problem.
Mark Lang
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But I have well over a dozen lists, so it would be very much better if Mozilla FIXED the problem.

Agreed. So it comes down to a matter of timing. If you can't wait for the fix you'll have to update the lists as you did with that first one.
jgb

Post by jgb »

I'm gonna try just renaming the existing lists tomorrow morning.
jgb
Luap

Post by Luap »

Thunderbird 31.1.1 has been released and resolves the problem. Thunderbird problem (BUG 1060901). Check it out.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... easenotes/
jgb

Post by jgb »

Luap wrote:Thunderbird 31.1.1 has been released and resolves the problem. Thunderbird problem (BUG 1060901). Check it out.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... easenotes/

FIXED =D> =D> =D>

I am a bit surprised that TB did NOT send me an update notice. I had to hunt it down (thanks to LUAP) and load it manually.

Renaming the list only worked if there were NO non-numeric/alphabetic characters in the list name. No spaces, brackets, dashes, etc.
Just one contiguous unintelligible word.
jgb
dgo47

Post by dgo47 »

Have upgraded to 31.1.1 as recommended and I get the following message:

Normal <Normal> is not a valid email address because it is not of the form user@host. You must correct it before sending the email.

The Distribution list is called "Normal" - this does not have any offending characters!

Any suggestions?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You're getting the standard error message for when you omit a domain name in a email address. Its probably either complaining about a bad entry within the list (that doesn't have a domain or you tried to nest mailing lists) or it doesn't recognize it as a mailing list.

Use the POPmailListRecipeints add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... b-dl-users to expand the mailing list into separate entries to verify that Thunderbird recognizes it as a mailing list, can parse its contents, and let you examine its contents to verify that the error message wasn't really due to a email address in the mailing list that did not specify a domain.
Luap

Post by Luap »

My lists have been working for years and are now again working because of Thunderbird 31.1.1.
dgo47

Post by dgo47 »

I have installed the POPmailListRecipeints add-on at to expand the mailing list into separate entries to verify that Thunderbird recognizes it as a mailing list, can parse its contents. It can do this successfully for all my Distribution lists (including "My Contacts") apart from my "Normal" Distribution list.

On my laptop, there are no problems now that I have installed 31.1.1.

Strange! What can you suggest?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Just to be clear, you have two machines running 31.1.1 and neither have problems due to embedded spaces in a mailing list name. However, on just one machine you get "not a valid email address because it is not of the form user@host" when you try to send to any of your distribution lists?

Does the problem go away if you run in safe mode per "help -> restart with add-ons disabled"? I'm wondering if the problem is due to an add-on not working correctly on 31.1.*.

Do you have the same problem if you copy the profile from the laptop (the known good configuration) to your other machine per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird ?