Multiprocess Firefox [e10s] (Partial Release: Fx48)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
iwod

Re: Multiprocess Firefox [e10s]

Post by iwod »

On Windows, the experience for light weight web usage, where you only ever open 2 - 3 Tab were minimal. Switching Tab delay and redraw were still present.

However when you have true multiple tabs, like 10+ and for me up to 30+ everyday. The difference were night and day. Scrolling is much better. Most things are much more responsive. For the first time ever, I think Firefox is in the similar responsive level as Chrome. Chrome is still more responsive. You can definitely feel it, but considering Firefox e10s still has a long way to go and optimize i guess this is a very good sign.
avada

Post by avada »

Gandharva wrote:Also checked E10s for the first time today, after I saw the prompt at startup. The performance is so bad it's not even funny. AMD Phenom X6, 16GB RAM, Win7x64. In usecases where you think E10s should boost performance (loading multiple tabs, browsing while other tabs are loading etc...) everything feels about 5-10 times slower. Disabled for now.

loadbang wrote:Holy slow performance batman on Max OS X. e10s as an option on load on Nightly. Tried it out, pages slow to open, jerky scrolling, browser stop responding if a tab in the background is loading.

Now off.

Huh? I didn't experience such things like you two on my test profile. I didn't notice anything in particular performance wise. And I have an old core 2 duo.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Fix for Bug 1049275 - Frequent hangs with e10s enabled just landed on inbound. Maybe that will help with the slowness some people are experiencing.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

When in doubt. Create a new profile.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Do you have ABP installed Virtual_man?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Omega X - Yep, I know ;)
or use Nightly Portable

@ Grantius - Yep, works fine here
I saw only problems with DownThemAll! which I reported and with Session Manager and Google search link fix which are already reported.
Last edited by Virtual_ManPL on September 13th, 2014, 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

EDIT: nevermind.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

There are still a couple of issues holding me back from using it in my day-to-day browsing, the lack of functional PDF.js and spell checking are the two things I hope will be fixed in the near future. With those done I'll definitely take the plunge and actively use it (instead of random spot testing).
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Someone confirm this for me:

1. Install Adblock Plus. (Either stable or dev build)

2. Open e10s Window

3. Browse a site with ads. Observe said ads, then close that window.

NOW

1. Go to Options and click "ENABLE E10S".

2. Visit the site you went to previously in the e10s window.

3. Observe Ads. There should not be any.

From what I've seen ABP works in full blown e10s, but not in the optional window.
NoisyNarrowBand

Post by NoisyNarrowBand »

running nightly 09-12 on yosemite beta 2. with e10s enabled tab switching and tab loading is noticeably slower than when turned off. also seeing higher accumulative cpu load with e10s.

overall stability is good and nice to see progress on this front. hope the performance issues get fixed. the 34a1 builds were very fast and on par with chrome.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Omega X wrote:From what I've seen ABP works in full blown e10s, but not in the optional window.
I think this needs add-on interposition (bug 1066838).
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:After getting finally time and devs request us to test e10s, I reported these issues:
Bug 1066683 - [e10s-addons] DownThemAll! doesn't work completely[...]
Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ Grantius - [...]I saw only problems with DownThemAll! which I reported [...]
Update - Only DownThemAll! *nightly* builds doesn't works properly with e10s, as stable build DownThemAll! 2.0.17 works fine.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Rodze

Post by Rodze »