Firefox 32.0 - Saved Passwords Aren't Showing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
therube

Re: Firefox 32.0 - Saved Passwords Aren't Showing

Post by therube »

> yes there has been a change in the password format between ff32 and 31

Which I guess is obvious.

> are those passwords that you have created after downgrading to 31 and then have upgraded to 32 again?

Now that is a very good question.
So I suppose that anyone, who over time, may have used the same Profile between various FF versions, who may have hit the pw change, then reverted & back again, & again, could be susceptible to running into this?

> the passwords are migrated from a sqlite database to the json format - this migration is triggered the first time
> you update from 31 to 32, then the preference"signon.importedFrom Sqlite" in about:config is set to "true"

Oh, OK, so they went from signons.sqlite to logins.json.

I think I'm going to leave things at that, suffice to say its not necessarily going to be unusual for someone, perhaps someone who is likely to run Beta, Nightly, in existing Profiles, to run into this.

And it also makes sense that passwords saved in FF32 are not see in earlier versions, because earlier version would know nothing of logins.json.

(Oh, & thanks to <philipp> at #firefox.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Downgrading is a terrible idea — going back and forth between versions doubly so. You always run the risk of corrupting your profile files when you do that.

If you want Firefox 32.0 to take another crack at importing your passwords,
  1. In about:config, right-click signon.importedFromSqlite and choose Reset.
  2. Type about:support into the address bar and press Enter.
  3. Click the Show Folder button.
  4. Exit Firefox.
  5. Delete the logins.json file from the profile folder.
    This assumes you didn't save or modify any passwords in Firefox 32.0. If you did, not only will they all be lost, but the key3.db decryption key won't match the old signons.sqlite database from Firefox 31.0.
The Error Console is for web pages. You need to open the Browser Console (Ctrl+Shift+J) to see any errors related to the login manager.
Hawkzon

Post by Hawkzon »

For those of us who have lost password with ff 32.01 and aren't as advanced, could you explain a bit more how this done.
And my current ff isn't saving any passwords.

How do I get to about:config...

Thank you.

I see that I can access the profile folder from ff/troubleshooting.
Is it possible to replace the password file from here?
I have a copy of key3.db and logins.json files from my laptop restore, how do I insert it
into the profile of my desktop?
Last edited by Hawkzon on September 15th, 2014, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkzon

Post by Hawkzon »

I've managed to get my passwords back on my laptop using mozbackup but i didn't have this on my desktop.
How do I get the passwords from the laptop to the desktop?
I thought Sync would do it but it doesn't seem to work.
Hawkzon

Post by Hawkzon »

I've got the exact same problem.
The update wiped out all my passwords and firefox won't save passwords I'm re-inserting.
mike20021969

Post by mike20021969 »

Hawkzon wrote:How do I get to about:config...

Type about:config in the address bar and then hit enter/return.

If you re-install Firefox 31.0, do you see your passwords?

You profile folder is in the AppData/Application Data folder.
e.g. For Windows XP, it is found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR NAME>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\********.default
Hawkzon

Post by Hawkzon »

I put version 31 on and got my passwords back.
Thank you.
mike20021969

Post by mike20021969 »

Hawkzon wrote:I put version 31 on and got my passwords back.
Thank you.

There's a neat Password Exporter add-on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -exporter/

Install it, then you get an option to import/export your passwords on the Tools>Options>Security tab.
Export Passwords file which is automatically dated to .xml or .csv.

Then install 32.0 or greater.
You can then simply import all your passwords effortlessly.

Slash1969

Post by Slash1969 »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Downgrading is a terrible idea — going back and forth between versions doubly so. You always run the risk of corrupting your profile files when you do that.

If you want Firefox 32.0 to take another crack at importing your passwords,
  1. In about:config, right-click signon.importedFromSqlite and choose Reset.
  2. Type about:support into the address bar and press Enter.
  3. Click the Show Folder button.
  4. Exit Firefox.
  5. Delete the logins.json file from the profile folder.
    This assumes you didn't save or modify any passwords in Firefox 32.0. If you did, not only will they all be lost, but the key3.db decryption key won't match the old signons.sqlite database from Firefox 31.0.
The Error Console is for web pages. You need to open the Browser Console (Ctrl+Shift+J) to see any errors related to the login manager.

I followed this procedure and my user names came back, but my passwords are still missing.

Any further suggestions? This is driving me crazy!
Hawkzon

Post by Hawkzon »

I tried this method first and I did not have an option of reset when I right clicked importedFromSqlite.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Slash1969 wrote:I followed this procedure and my user names came back, but my passwords are still missing.

How is that even possible? What happens when you click the Show Passwords button? You should get a prompt for the master password (if you have one set), after which the Password column should show up.
Slash1969 wrote:Any further suggestions? This is driving me crazy!

Have you tried the Password Exporter extension mentioned above your post?
Hawkzon wrote:I tried this method first and I did not have an option of reset when I right clicked importedFromSqlite.

"Reset" is only available for about:config preferences that have the status "user set" and appear in bold text. If the preference status is "default", then Reset will be grayed out, because the preference is already at its default value.
In your case, that says Firefox never attempted to import your saved login information. This is puzzling, because it should happen on startup as long you have a signons.sqlite file and a matching key3.db file in your profile folder.
therube

Post by therube »

I'll link to this (SeaMonkey) Bug 1062297 - All saved passwords gone after update (as I didn't find anything on the firefox end).
[Suppose the bug really should be moved to Toolkit | Password Manager.]
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Beadmaster

Post by Beadmaster »

I'm pretty lost here (sorry). After what I think was an upgrade today to version 32.0.3, my password file was empty. I followed the above procedure to the letter - about:config, right-clicked signon.importedFromSqlite, reset, did about:support, enter, clicked on show folder, exited Firefox, deleted logins.json file from profile folder, went back in...no passwords. (I did restore the logins.json file, since it did no good to delete it.)

Do I have to back up a version to get the passwords to work again? I should have an entire list, not an empty one. I manually use them all the time when the password doesn't get automatically filled in on a page, and it's been extremely helpful. Because I can't remember every last password, I just can't. So now do I have to go to each site, request a password reset, then manually save them somewhere? There are sites I don't even remember if I've joined. Or what email address I've used. How do I fix this?
mike20021969

Post by mike20021969 »

Beadmaster wrote:How do I fix this?

Try Password Exporter: viewtopic.php?p=13767725#p13767725
Install the add-on.
Then, install Firefox 31.0. Export passwords. Install 32.0 or greater. Import passwords. Job done =D>

Or carry on messing around in about:config going round and round in circles until your brain explodes :lol:
Beadmaster

Post by Beadmaster »

LOL! :D Thanks, Mike. Then I have to revert back to 31 first, because there are no passwords to export. :P But you're right. My brain is definitely going to explode if I keep doing that useless about:config fix! :P