Why I don't use Phoenix

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
aePrime

Why I don't use Phoenix

Post by aePrime »

They tell us to do this in the FAQ on the distribution page, so here it goes.

I still use Mozilla, not because I want to, but there's one thing that Phoenix does that really annoys me, and I don't know how to get it to stop.

I have a habit of opening up multiple instances of broswers, expecially if I'm on a different desktop. Mozilla never complains about this, but if Phoenix is already running, and I try to start another Phoenix browser (not a new window, just an instance from scratch), it always tells me that my profile is in use, and it won't let me continue, unless I really want to go through the trouble of making a new profile.

Perhaps I've just overlooked something. I'd love to use Phoenix, but my current browsing patterns won't allow it. Especially since I have a script that I wrote that opens up new instances of a browser.
jmd

Correct way

Post by jmd »

You want to use the -remote command, to signal the currently running process. Documentation is at:

http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html

That's likely what Mozilla is doing, as Mozilla can NOT run two copies of itself either. It would corrupt your profile.
ehume

Post by ehume »

I use Win XP, but I also have Phoenix up on a Win 98 machine. I open new instances of Phoenix all the time, and in all kinds of ways: I click on shortcuts, I use Mouse Gestures and even (I did this just for a test) clicking on the exe file itself. I have never run into this problem.

I have run into the problem you describe when I have run Mozilla and Netscape simultaneously, but never with Phoenix, even when I was installing over old directories and re-using profiles.

Ed
scratch

Post by scratch »

Ed: On Windows, any attempt to spawn a new instance of Phoenix instead opens a new window from the current instance. It is actually impossible to run multiple instances of Phoenix on Windows, I think. This is not the case on Linux.
aePrime

Re: Correct way

Post by aePrime »

jmd wrote:You want to use the -remote command, to signal the currently running process. Documentation is at:

http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html

That's likely what Mozilla is doing, as Mozilla can NOT run two copies of itself either. It would corrupt your profile.

Thanks for trying to help, but doing that from my prompt just replaces the Phoenix window that I have open. It does not create a new window.
aePrime

Post by aePrime »

scratch and Ed,

I am using Linux, not Windows.
aePrime

Re: Correct way

Post by aePrime »

aePrime wrote:
Thanks for trying to help, but doing that from my prompt just replaces the Phoenix window that I have open. It does not create a new window.

Ha! Nevermind! I missed an argument! Thanks!
aePrime

Post by aePrime »

For anybodywho cares, this script to start Phoenix seems to fix my problem under Linux:

if ps -u $UID | grep phoenix-bin; then
./phoenix -remote "openurl(about::blank, new-window)";
else
./phoenix;
fi