SeaMonkey and Ghostery

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
unbeleevabull

Re: SeaMonkey and Ghostery

Post by unbeleevabull »

I made all the changes in Mr. Chee's post, including the extra ones he listed, and Ghostery 5.2.1 does not function in SM 2.29. Installing Ghostery 5.2.1 from AMO, I get the icon on the toolbar, but it does nothing. Installing from the same ver I had previously ran through the converter, no icon but I did get Options button in Addons Manager which was not there installing directly from AMO. But the Options button only opened a blank page. With the AMP direct-installed version, I tried the Ghostery entries on the Tools Menu. Options, Walkthrough, Update bug lists, and Help all just opened blank "resource://..." pages. Block Log opened the blocklog.html Ghostery logo page with an empty text box (no text on the page except Ghostery in the logo).

Ghostery related errors in the Error Console (which may have appeared only after I tried the menu options) include multiple occurences of these:
Error: this._contentWorker is null
Error: apiSandbox.ContentWorker.inject is not a function
FWIW, the files these errors point to are not the files I edited.

If this is not useful info, just ignore. I do not want to tinker with it anymore.

Windows Vista, omni.ja rezipped w/ WinZip
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

unbeleevabull wrote:I made all the changes in Mr. Chee's post, including the extra ones he listed, and Ghostery 5.2.1 does not function in SM 2.29. Installing Ghostery 5.2.1 from AMO, I get the icon on the toolbar, but it does nothing.

Ghostery 5.2.1 was made to work with SM out of the box so no conversions necessary nor patching omni.ja. However, there may be some incompatibility with newer SM versions - I don't know.

We are talking here about the newest Ghostery versions. Try it with 5.4.0, you will need to add SeaMonkey to install.rdf - you can use the converter - you may uncheck all the other options there since they don't seems to be important. Then you need to patch the 3 files mentioned in the Ghostery bug report and it should run fine. Repackaging with WinZip should be fine.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

too heavy stuff for a normal use.. so i better leave all files as they are. If the Dev's can't even handle this problems it's wortless for me to try these changes.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Philip, if I get this error in console:

Code: Select all

Error: Unsupported Application: The module sdk/tabs/tabs currently supports only Firefox, Fennec.
resource://jid1-xgvb3exezvbsyq-at-jetpack/addon-sdk/lib/sdk/loader/cuddlefish.js 80

then where should I look for the code that accepts only Firefox and Fennec? There is no file at sdk/tabs/tabs.js, there is only sdk/tabs/tab.js, which I have already patched. This is what I get when trying to run TabStash extension.
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

Lemon Juice wrote:Ghostery 5.2.1 was made to work with SM out of the box so no conversions necessary nor patching omni.ja. However, there may be some incompatibility with newer SM versions - I don't know.

Yes, look back on page 1 of this thread, 5th post, by neophil, that is basically the beginning of the Ghostery incompatibility with SM 2.29. I also experienced this as I had Ghostery 5.21 running fine under SM 2.26 when I updgraded to SM2.29.

We are talking here about the newest Ghostery versions. Try it with 5.4.0, you will need to add SeaMonkey to install.rdf - you can use the converter - you may uncheck all the other options there since they don't seems to be important. Then you need to patch the 3 files mentioned in the Ghostery bug report and it should run fine. Repackaging with WinZip should be fine.

No, following standard troubleshooting protocol it would make more sense to try the version that was working before the SM update, thus retrying 5.21. But anyway, I just tried 5.40 twice (2 different manual edits to rule out editing errors) and both times it tells me it won't install because it appears to be corrupted.

FWIW, I patched not only those first 3 files but all the others that are mentioned including "places" and excluding anything UI related (maybe some UI stuff does need patching as well?). I wanted to get it all done at one time so maybe some other extensions would work too. So far I see no problems caused by the edits. But it hasn't helped with Ghostery, and SDC would not work before or after the edits; not sure what other addons I may try.

PART 2:
Assuming there is now an inherent incompatibility between Ghostery 5.21 and the newer ver of SM, I went back and tried Ghostery 5.32 since 5.40 was giving an error. Well, the error is there with 5.32 as well. But I was just able to install another extension from that same local folder. So, I don't know what SM is objecting to with Ghostery.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

unbeleevabull wrote:
Lemon Juice wrote:Ghostery 5.2.1 was made to work with SM out of the box so no conversions necessary nor patching omni.ja. However, there may be some incompatibility with newer SM versions - I don't know.

Yes, look back on page 1 of this thread, 5th post, by neophil, that is basically the beginning of the Ghostery incompatibility with SM 2.29. I also experienced this as I had Ghostery 5.21 running fine under SM 2.26 when I updgraded to SM2.29.

Okay, indeed I missed that.

unbeleevabull wrote:But anyway, I just tried 5.40 twice (2 different manual edits to rule out editing errors) and both times it tells me it won't install because it appears to be corrupted.

If it won't install you may be experiencing a problem unrelated to Ghostery incompatibility. Ghostery is released with a digital signature that prevents any modifications to its files so after you edit install.rdf the signature won't match. You can bypass this by removing the /META-INF folder where the signature resides. If you use the converter it deletes /META-INF automatically.
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

Thanks. Amazing how easy it is when you have the rosetta stone. I hadn't paid META-INF any attention because it hasn't been an issue with any other extensions I've edited. But in any case, 5.40 is mostly up and running. The badge over the ghost that shows the count of items blocked is not showing. So far, the popup has not popped up either. Both options are enabled in Ghostery Options/Advanced. It did find one tracker each on Mozilla.org and ebay but did not find any on youtube or yahoo which has got to be wrong (unless everything is blocked by other extensions). Something is keeping the cursor in busy mode when hovering the UI but not the page (just started after installing Ghostery, will see if it is still present after restart).

EDIT: I am gettng the alert bubble sometimes (always?) now. But it seems to be blocking less than it used to. The busy cursor went away but came back UPDATE: The busy cursor over most UI elements starts when I click the ghost so I figure it is trying to do something that is not completing but can't yet tell what.
Last edited by unbeleevabull on September 30th, 2014, 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Lemon Juice wrote:Philip, if I get this error in console:

Error: Unsupported Application: The module sdk/tabs/tabs currently supports only Firefox, Fennec.
resource://jid1-xgvb3exezvbsyq-at-jetpack/addon-sdk/lib/sdk/loader/cuddlefish.js 80

then where should I look for the code that accepts only Firefox and Fennec? There is no file at sdk/tabs/tabs.js, there is only sdk/tabs/tab.js, which I have already patched. This is what I get when trying to run TabStash extension.

Downloaded it. It's an older extension (Released September 29, 2013) so the SDK is packaged inside the XPI.

tabstash-0.1-fx.xpi/resources/addon-sdk/lib/sdk . Looks like a transitional SDK. It has both tabs/tab.js and tabs/tabs.js. tab-firefox.js and tabs-firefox.js.

[WARNING: This is an alpha release, which means that it does not have all the features that you would like. In particular, there is no easy way to see the tabs that have been closed. Please treat it as experimental software! Thank you for downloading and testing!]
Translation: may break your Firefox.

Phil
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

unbeleevabull wrote:The badge over the ghost that shows the count of items blocked is not showing. So far, the popup has not popped up either. Both options are enabled in Ghostery Options/Advanced. It did find one tracker each on Mozilla.org and ebay but did not find any on youtube or yahoo which has got to be wrong (unless everything is blocked by other extensions).

There are a few other things that need to be changed in Ghostery to enable full SM support - there are two Fx-specific chrome:// urls which need to be changed to their SM counterparts - if you use the converter it will take care of those (but you should uncheck "add definitions for Firefox-specific js shortcuts (Cc, Ci, Cr, Cu)" - they should not be added in such extensions by default, I'll have to add some more intelligent detection to the converter - fixed, Ghostery can now be converted with default options).

unbeleevabull wrote:The busy cursor over most UI elements starts when I click the ghost so I figure it is trying to do something that is not completing but can't yet tell what.

It is certainly connecting with some external services but it should stop. I suppose the busy cursor should go away after a while - this should be easily fixed by Ghostery devs once the patched SM is released (the counter on the button as well).

Philip Chee wrote:
Lemon Juice wrote:Philip, if I get this error in console:

Downloaded it. It's an older extension (Released September 29, 2013) so the SDK is packaged inside the XPI.

tabstash-0.1-fx.xpi/resources/addon-sdk/lib/sdk . Looks like a transitional SDK. It has both tabs/tab.js and tabs/tabs.js. tab-firefox.js and tabs-firefox.js.

Indeed, I wasn't expecting sdk's to be embedded in extensions, thanks. I'll just give up in this case since this technology seems to be obsolete, anyway.
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

I uninstalled and ran 5.40 through the Lemon Juice squeezer and that brought back the snap, crackle, pop just like the old Ghostery. The badge showed immediately and the Ghost found 3 demons on the same page (this site) where it only found one yesterday. So it looks like you have revived the Ghost in the Sea. That busy cursor does clear when you reload a page or anything which causes the busy cursor to appear and then reset normally.
anti_bloat

Post by anti_bloat »

Hi,
I started using SeaMonkey yesterday. I am using ver 2.29.1 under Manjaro (Arch). The

package in the repos is slightly old so I downloaded the tar from your website.

I wan't Ghostery too but if the devs have decided to end support for SM I am not

bothered with Ghostery anymore.

Is there an alternative to Ghostery which is compatible with SM ? If yes please tell me the name.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Install AdBlock Plus and subscribe to the EasyPrivacy list. This provides a very similar blocking service as Ghostery.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
anti_bloat

Post by anti_bloat »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Install AdBlock Plus and subscribe to the EasyPrivacy list. This provides a very similar blocking service as Ghostery.

My system is very low on ram that's why I have chosen LXDE as DE

and using lighter apps. While using FF I had noticed that Adblock Plus

made FF very heavy so I switched to bluhell but still with FF, Sylpheed

and qBittorrent the system was still swapping and becoming unstable.

Now I am using SM with Privoxy and the system is pretty fast and no

swapping. I am worried that installing Adblock Plus will defeat the

whole purpose.

This is my Privoxy blacklist file. Is this the subscription you asking

me to add ?

http://paste2.org/IsG7J0Fd
Manjaro KDE
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I've never experienced AdBlock making Firefox or SeaMonkey "heavy" and I run on very old systems with ancient processors and relatively low RAM. There were however a few bugs in ABP earlier this year that caused slow-downs at startup. These appear to have been fixed.

I don't see how running SM through a Proxy would be fast at all? I don't know anything about Privoxy filters but EasyPrivacy is one of the available subscriptions along with EasyList when you install AdBlock Plus.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
anti_bloat

Post by anti_bloat »

Uninstalled Privoxy and installed ADP with EasyPrivacy+Easylist.

Increase in memory usage is minimum

Without ADP : 253.2 MiB

With ADP : 272.7 MiB

Thanks.
Manjaro KDE