A million little questions

Discuss application theming and theme development.
LoudNoise

Re: A million little questions

Post by LoudNoise »

Me thinks that someone at the Mountain View office should grab a foundation credit card and head to an Apple Store.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Yeah, that would seem beneficial. I wonder if there's an issue with having developers at different locations.

They can order one for me while they're at it. I mean, as long as the credit card is out. ;)
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

I'm having an issue with NNL where, when using the devtools HTML Inspector, when inspecting the top-most/outer-most node in a content document (e.g., the HTML tag), the "node info" bubble (which floats over the content showing the tag and its dimensions) sometimes floats up over the toolbars of Firefox itself. It's supposed to be constrained to be within the content area.

Any idea what this might be about? It makes me think something is position: absolute when it should be position: relative, but I haven't been able to find anything yet.

This first starts with Firefox 33. Could this be from a Fx34 change that was backported to Fx33, which I don't know about yet because I'm only watching mozilla-central and not mozilla-aurora, and I haven't gotten to Firefox 34 yet?

EDIT: Solved. This was because I was hiding the findbar with display: none, while the default theme is using visibility: collapse. The node info bar positioning code in highlighter.js expects the findbar to have a positive y coordinate, but with display: none the y coordinate is zero, which results in a negative value for top position of the node info bar, and it escapes the window viewport to overlap the toolbars. See function _moveInfoBar() in highlighter.js.

(Findbar? Really? Did not see that coming.)
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

What is this bug about: Bug 943878 - (firefox-mulet) Firefox Mulet

It says it's about building Firefox with MOZ_B2G. How is that different from the browser that's already being used on Firefox OS? Why would this be wanted?

EDIT: Answered here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... WUg10993OM
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

NewsFox feed reader add-on is broken with themes I tested (mine, Walnut, FT Deepdark) but not with the default theme as of some time in the last week, with nightly Firefox builds. If using a non-default theme, the page shown for the article preview (inside the NewsFox frameset/nested XUL containers) has an empty style section in the document head (where there are rules if using the default theme) and img src is null for the little icons that show in the header of the preview (where it has a data uri src if using the default theme).

I'm not using e10s.

Anyone know about this?
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Anyone else having trouble getting the devtools Profiler (Performance) tool to work in Fx34 betas?

It's working for me about 30% of the time, and that's for both the default theme and NNL. Once it breaks, the Profiler stays broken until the next browser restart. This is awkward because I'm trying to work on Bug 879008 - New UI for the sampling Profiler - and getting nowhere.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

This is a question about CSS precedence and animations.

I'm styling the Fx34 devtools Storage Manager, which has a table of rows and cells. Rows can be selected, and have selected styling. Also, separately, the values can change, in which case JS sets class .flash-out on the changed cells, triggering an animation.

The issue is I want the animation .flash-out styling to override .theme-selected styling, but it's not. Here's what I have that's not working. Anyone know how to do this?

(You can't use !important inside @keyframes, I tried that.)

Code: Select all

.table-widget-cell.theme-selected {
  background: -moz-linear-gradient(#9F7D56 0px, #9F7D56 1px, transparent 1px) repeat-x top left,
              -moz-linear-gradient(hsl(32,39%,43%) 0px, hsl(23,44%,38%) 26px) repeat-x top left;
}

.table-widget-cell.flash-out {
  animation: flash-out 0.75s ease;
}

@keyframes flash-out {
  to {
    background: #887643;
    color: #ffffff;
  }
}

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. Background color is being correctly animated. The linear gradients are background images, and images don't animate. Background color is correctly animating behind the gradients-as-images.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

In the Fx33 search bar (the one without the new one-off search UI), there's an autocomplete popup that shows terms from your search history, then a dividing line, then some search suggestions. I can't find where I style that dividing line. Anyone know what the id/class is for that?

EDIT: this is what I was looking for, as used in Fx34.

Code: Select all

/* Separator between suggestions from known search history
 * and general suggestions.
 */
.search-panel-tree .autocomplete-treebody::-moz-tree-cell(suggesthint) {
  border-top: 1px dotted #555555 !important; /* Important needed, not sure why. */
}

mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

In Firefox 35 betas, which toolbarbutton/UI is the new icon in Toolbar.png that looks like a wrench in a popup for?
ehume

Post by ehume »

What happened with Firefox 35.0.1? All instances have gone wonky, not showing pictures.

My work-around is Chrome, which can import Firefox bookmarks. Reverting to Firefox 35.0 doesn't seem to work.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

I'm not seeing that. (Either on Vista or on OSX.)
ehume

Post by ehume »

It has happened on three machines, 2 at Win 7-64 and one at Win 8.1. Same on my themes and the default themes. Also, I tried reverting to Firefox 35.0.0, and that does not help. And doing a partial profile clean does not help.

There used to be a way to boot into safe mode. I cannot find it now.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

ehume wrote:There used to be a way to boot into safe mode. I cannot find it now.

I'm curious, are your profiles linked with Firefox Sync?

Anyway, about safe mode, I thought it used to show as an option in the profile selection dialog, but I don't see it now.

According to SUMO, menubar > Help > Restart with add-ons disabled is the same thing as safe mode.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Also, you can boot into Safe Mode just by holding down the Shift key while opening Firefox.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ehume

Post by ehume »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Also, you can boot into Safe Mode just by holding down the Shift key while opening Firefox.

Ooh. Thanky.

Well, Giving myself a new profile fixed it. But now I'm reestablishing things. What a pain.