Bookmarks mystery!

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Michael Graubart

Re: Bookmarks mystery!

Post by Michael Graubart »

I'm afraid I could not see any way of posting a file on Pastebin. It seems to be only for posting text; and there are inadequate instructions on the site. I have not got a site of my own on which I could post the html files as such. Have you any other suggestions — or could you tell me how to post a file on Pastebin, please?
Michael Graubart
therube

Post by therube »

You would copy the contents of the bookmarks.html file & paste it into pastebin.
Or you could copy the file bookmarks.html & host (share) it somewhere, like googledocs or whereever.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Michael Graubart

Thanks for that. I thought I had copied and pasted the contents into Pastebin; I cannot see a way of accessing the contents of the file other than by opening it in Seamonkey or Textedit. But when I return from abroad I shall try Googledocs.
Michael Graubart
Michael Graubart

Thank you for your patience, therube. I have now uploaded the Safari bookmarks file to 4Shared. (I did not have time to find out how to make Googledocs work.)

This is the link: http://www.4shared.com/document/dkhed-i ... marks.html

But I really now will not be able to take this further until I have returned from Austria in mid-September. I hope I shall find your response waiting for me then.
Michael Graubart
therube

Post by therube »

> 4shared.com

What an awful site!

-------

SeaMonkey has a bug.

It could be (these) Bug 817327 - Import bookmarks is broken in SeaMonkey DUP'd to Bug 801450 - Can't import bookmarks from Safari-created HTML files (marked as FIXED) or something similar to it?

Your html file has stuff like:

Code: Select all

<DT><H3 FOLDED>Favorites Bar</H3>

within. And going by the above bug, if I delete all similar lines [ g/h3 folded/d ] & save the file, then it will import into SeaMonkey. (And doing so will loose all your folders. You are way to organized ;-).)

Lets see ... [ %s/ folded>/>/ ]

That looks to work. So either you can do a search & replace, searching for " folded>" & replacing it with ">", & that should work, or you can import your html file into FF, then export it back out to another html file, & that html file should then import in SeaMonkey.

Backup first.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

It could be (these) Bug 817327 - Import bookmarks is broken in SeaMonkey
DUP'd to Bug 801450 - Can't import bookmarks from Safari-created HTML files (marked as FIXED)
or something similar to it?

Maybe it is the something similar, as the testcase from Bug 801450 does import into SeaMonkey.

So... ?
Michael Graubart

Thanks for the programme of work. That will keep me busy after my return. But four points and one question:

1. The behaviour vis-a-vis the Safari file is exactly the same in Firefox as it is in SeaMonkey, so importing into FF, out again and into SM will in all probability not work.

2. It is not the importing as such that does not work; if I go via Bookmarks Manager, my Safari bookmarks are all there and accessible. So the problem is in SM's display of them, not in importing them.

3. Some months ago I exported the Safari bookmarks and imported them into SM (almost certainly an earlier version), and there was no problem with them at all. They are still accessible in the Bookmarks drop-down in the identity I used at that time.

4. If I didn't organize my bookmarks into folders, I would never find ones whose names I did not remember, but whose subject-matter is what interests me.

The question: how can I edit the html file? Is it a case of setting TextEdit prefs. to display html and editing it there?

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.
Michael Graubart
therube

Post by therube »

1. It does. Which tends to indicate a bug on SeaMonkey's end.

2. Oh, that was back on page 1 ;-).
In any case, both methods I outlined do work from the Bookmarks menu item.

3. Something, not sure what, in your current Safari bookmarks file is causing it to fail - in SeaMonkey?

> how can I edit the html file?

Notepad or any text editor should work, I would think.
Or do the import/export to/from FF.

Again, backup first, & or try it with a test Profile.
Michael Graubart

I am now back. I have, I am afraid, however, decided that I cannot spend much more time on this problem. But it now seems clear to me that SM cannot fully handle a bookmarks file with subfolders within the main folders. Whether this should be called a bug or a limitation, I cannot say.

When I have time, I shall report it as a bug and shall be interested to see the response(s).
Michael Graubart
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

SeaMonkey can still use import for HTML bookmarks, but cannot restore from .json backups.
therube

Post by therube »

> SeaMonkey ... cannot restore from .json backups

Mozilla ... cannot restore from [some] .json backups.
Michael Graubart

I'm sure that's relevant somehow, but I can't see how. SM can import from HTML, but if the file has nested subfolders, SM only displays the full structure in the sidebar or in Bookmarks Manager, not in the full bookmarks list, where the main folders will not open. Sorry to be repetitive, but that was what my question was about, not .json backups.
Michael Graubart
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

really curious that this happened from 22.6 to 2.29. really funny that some of the known problems can't be easily fixed.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

If you save a copy of Safari bookmarks somewhere easy to get at, you can open them as a page in SeaMonkey and then make a bunch of folders in SeaMonkey's bookmarks manager window, then open them one by one and drag the links in from the page. That works. I just did it.
Michael Graubart

Thanks very much, Anonymosity. The trouble is that life is too short to spend that amount of time on doing this. I see this as a bug in SeaMonkey, and it should be resolved. As I said before, as soon as I get a moment I shall report it as a bug. Thanks again.
Michael Graubart