Yes! 64-bit Firefox for Windows on its way

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
itisomegakai

Yes! 64-bit Firefox for Windows on its way

Post by itisomegakai »

A recent update to the 64-bit Windows page on the Mozilla Wiki website suggests that the organization plans to release a 64-bit Firefox Stable version for the Windows operating system in the near future.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/win64

n addition, development is listed as mostly complete and engineering work that needs to be completed resolves to testing, making sure the installer works and plugin compatibility work.

Mozilla plans to roll out the 64-bit in phases:

Phase 1: A separate 64-bit installer is provided and users are informed about it on the browser's what's new page. 64-bit builds are served from that moment on to users who opted-in. The majority of plugins and binary add-ons won't work in this phase.
Phase 2: A universal installer that supports both 32-bit and 64-bit. Flash support is provided either via 64-bit Flash or Shumway, and add-on support is improved.
Phase 3: Auto-update functionality.

The proposed version of Firefox for phase 1 is Firefox 37 Stable. This version will be released on 31. March 2015 to the public.

It is planned furthermore to released Aurora and Beta test builds as part of Mozilla's November 9th campaign (10 years of Firefox). Auto-updates are not provided yet though which means that users who are interested in testing these builds need to download them separately from a page Mozilla creates for that purpose.
Omega X

Re: Yes! 64-bit Firefox for Windows on its way

Post by Omega X »

March 2015 eh? They seem to be giving themselves some breathing room.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

Omega X wrote:March 2015 eh? They seem to be giving themselves some breathing room.

Based on the release trains, the development needs to be done by 5 January 2015.
tsunamijohn

Post by tsunamijohn »

So, will this spell the end of The Waterfox Project and\or firefox64bit.com?
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

bjherbison wrote:
Omega X wrote:March 2015 eh? They seem to be giving themselves some breathing room.

Based on the release trains, the development needs to be done by 5 January 2015.

Accounting for Mozilla Time rules, this will probably ship in April or May.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

tsunamijohn wrote:So, will this spell the end of The Waterfox Project and\or firefox64bit.com?

You would need to ask them. I would doubt it. Most of these projects are more than just recompiling Firefox.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
tsunamijohn

Post by tsunamijohn »

LoudNoise wrote:
tsunamijohn wrote:So, will this spell the end of The Waterfox Project and\or firefox64bit.com?

You would need to ask them. I would doubt it. Most of these projects are more then just recompiling Firefox.
Yeh, I thought of asking them, but thought I somehow thought that I would get some insight here and kind of thought that the 2 browsers that I mentioned might be a bit tender about this topic at this point.

To your second point, I think you meant "more then than just recompiled Firefox", in which case I wasn't aware that the source for those two browsers was modified before performing their builds. If that's the case, and the changes are for improved performance or stability, then I can see that they would continue into the future.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

Omega X wrote:
bjherbison wrote:

Accounting for Mozilla Time rules, this will probably ship in April or May.

5 January 2015 is the date Firefox 37 moves from Nightly to Aurora. Anything in Nightly before that point (and which doesn't get pulled out) will ship on 31 March 2015.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
James

Post by James »

tsunamijohn wrote:So, will this spell the end of The firefox64bit.com?

This so called site was just linking to a random Nightly channel build on a hosting site each time version changed on Nightly. Also the 64-bit Linux builds are at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
James

Post by James »

itisomegakai wrote:The proposed version of Firefox for phase 1 is Firefox 37 Stable. This version will be released on 31. March 2015 to the public.

Day before April Fools. Perhaps they should wait a week or two though we all know that dates for things like this tends to have delays anyways.
tsunamijohn

Post by tsunamijohn »

James wrote:

This so called site was just linking to a random Nightly channel build on a hosting site each time version changed on Nightly. Also the 64-bit Linux builds are at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
hmmm... that's confusing for sure because the link goes to some "SoftSea.com" mirror server. In any case, I'll stay away.
James

Post by James »

tsunamijohn wrote:
James wrote:

hmmm... that's confusing for sure because the link goes to some "SoftSea.com" mirror server. In any case, I'll stay away.

They imply it is a Release and not a Nightly and since it is a build on a hosting site one cannot be sure it is a legit build without going though trouble of finding the specific checksum or taking a chance and installing it. They really should just link to say http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-central/

There has been 64-bit Linux Releases of Firefox ever since Firefox 4.0 and the person(s) running this site must not be aware of that or do not care and instead currently links to a older random 34.0a1 build from Nightly channel. I say random because it could be any one of six weeks of builds when version 34.0 was on Nightly channel as it is now on Aurora.

Judging from date modified in tar archive it looks to be the old July 27 Nightly build in comparison of real build and one from hosting site.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

bjherbison wrote:
Omega X wrote:Accounting for Mozilla Time rules, this will probably ship in April or May.

5 January 2015 is the date Firefox 37 moves from Nightly to Aurora. Anything in Nightly before that point (and which doesn't get pulled out) will ship on 31 March 2015.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

Yes, I'm aware of the calendar. And no, I still don't believe that this will ship on schedule.
mdew

Post by mdew »

I'm still waiting for mozilla-central-win64-pgo :/