Videos are not playing with the latest update from FF34.0

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
sbkhbk

Videos are not playing with the latest update from FF34.0

Post by sbkhbk »

Hello,

After the latest update from FF, no videos are played in Youtube, dailymotion or from any of the websites.
Really annoying, could you please fix this issue?
Please do not hesitate if you need more details.

Thanks in Advance.
DanRaisch

Re: Videos are not playing with the latest update from FF34.

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Moving to Firefox Builds where pre-release versions are discussed.

2. We are not Mozilla so we can't fix anything you feel is wrong in Firefox. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.
sbkhbk

Post by sbkhbk »

I just found out the root cause, i had installed an addon "Flash block", it was active since long time, but seems like after installing the latest version of FF beta. That addon stopped supporting.

Maybe its time to update the addon.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No add-ons are guaranteed to work with Beta versions of the browser. If you want to use extensions you should consider using the current release version of Firefox unless you are a developer working on extensions or web pages and want to test them in the Beta versions.
sbkhbk

Post by sbkhbk »

But everytime when a new beta version available, i get a popup.. how to get the current release version and not to get any popups for beta updates?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Replace your current installation with the release version:

Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.
James

Post by James »

sbkhbk wrote:But everytime when a new beta version available, i get a popup.. how to get the current release version and not to get any popups for beta updates?

You likely installed one of the Beta builds of a version and the contunued using Firefox while on Beta channel. The Release channel does not give updates to Beta builds.
sbkhbk wrote:Maybe its time to update the addon.

Apart for some authors like Mozilla or Mozilla Labs, the majority of Extensions hosted at addons.mozilla.org are third-party.

The Flashblock extension has not been updated by author since March 2013.
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lashblock/
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

sbkhbk wrote:But everytime when a new beta version available, I get a popup.. how to get the current release version and not to get any popups for beta updates?

download/install the updated version of Flashblock from the attachment in this bug. It was 'fixed' by a 3rd party, not the original author, but have been using it for some time now and its working fine, I'm currently on Fx 36 test version and Flashblock continues to work.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1052480
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

TheVisitor wrote:download/install the updated version of Flashblock from the attachment in this bug. It was 'fixed' by a 3rd party, not the original author, but have been using it for some time now and its working fine, I'm currently on Fx 36 test version and Flashblock continues to work.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1052480

Thanks for that! Alice to the rescue again! Although for some reason it took me two tries to install it - I got a message that Firefox was (I think) unable to modify the exising extension the first time. Went back to it to try to copy the message and it installed!

This needs to be flagged up as a major problem coming down the road. There are going to be seriously large numbers of pissed off people if Flashblock suddenly stops working when Fx34 is released. I'd already noticed some problems in the last couple of Fx33 betas - and the RC: videos on telegraph.co.uk weren't working, for example, but I hadn't had time to work out whether this was a Flashblock and/or AdBlock problem.

There's already one comment on AMO that Flashblock has stopped working with 34 beta. I suspect it won't be the last ...
6lobe

Post by 6lobe »

Sorry if I'm being ignorant but why not just use built-in click-to-play?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

6lobe wrote:Sorry if I'm being ignorant but why not just use built-in click-to-play?

Because the devs dumbed it down. It used to be per-element, meaning like Flashblock, you could play only those items you wanted. With the dumbing down of the feature now it activates 'all flash elements' on the page including ads, etc... and no, don't even suggest Adblock, just another beast of an addon that has caused many a ton of headaches. Seen it all too often in these forums.
alexz

Post by alexz »

if you want to play only items you want then you need this https://addons.mozilla.org/sl/firefox/a ... r-element/

with this addon you can also block plugin notifications

ClickToPlayPerElement.styles.hidePluginNotifications

but you must use version 0.0.4b45 because it looks like newer versions dont have that option anymore