Here is how i Installed Seamonkey on Linux mint

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
groze5858

Here is how i Installed Seamonkey on Linux mint

Post by groze5858 »

For those that can't get Seamonkey installed.

If you can find ubuntu seamonkey-mozilla-build_2.29-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

download it and then open Gdebi package installer. (right click in the Seamokey file)

This key listed below is available to the public.

If you can't download the file. You might need to do this first in a terminal windows

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29 (hit enter)
password (enter your password & hit enter)

echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null (hit enter)

However, the SeaMonkey package never showed up in the Software respiratory.
Davebuntu

Re: Here is how i Installed Seamonkey on Linux mint

Post by Davebuntu »

AFAIK SeaMonkey isn't in the Ubuntu repositories.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Or you can download the tar and extract to wherever you want:
32-bit --- https://download.mozilla.org/?product=s ... lang=en-US
64-bit --- ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/s ... 64.tar.bz2 (but this is a "contributed" build; )
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Davebuntu wrote:AFAIK SeaMonkey isn't in the Ubuntu repositories.
Did you try Ubuntuzilla?

Phil
James

Post by James »

Unless it has changed since, Ubuntu stopped providing SeaMonkey packages since April 2012.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/seamonkey/+bug/987713

flaneurb wrote:64-bit --- ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/s ... 64.tar.bz2 (but this is a "contributed" build; )
Yes and no as these are built on same machines as other builds, just that they are still not officially supported for them to be in contrib folder.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Another method (to run SM without installing) -

#1. Download Linux version (tar.bz2 or something) from Mozilla and save to home directory.
#2. Extract to that directory.
#3. Click seamonkey file within that extracted folder to run. ~ You're done.

Tip ~ To run plugins without farting around in the bowels of root - create plugins folder just inside the .mozilla folder (not in the sub folders in it) , which is a hidden file within your home directory. Throw your flashplayer.so, etc into that newly created folder. You're done.

To pre-empt the 'Out of curiosity...' stuff - because I need to run various builds without installing them.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Yes, Ubuntuzilla works and SM can be added to the system software manager. Some time ago I added Ubuntuzilla and described it in this post. This still works until today, however the releases may not always be updated immediately, currently the repository provides SM 2.29.1
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Frank Lion wrote:Another method (to run SM without installing) -

#1. Download Linux version (tar.bz2 or something) from Mozilla and save to home directory.
#2. Extract to that directory.
#3. Click seamonkey file within that extracted folder to run. ~ You're done.

Tip ~ To run plugins without farting around in the bowels of root - create plugins folder just inside the .mozilla folder (not in the sub folders in it) , which is a hidden file within your home directory. Throw your flashplayer.so, etc into that newly created folder. You're done.

To pre-empt the 'Out of curiosity...' stuff - because I need to run various builds without installing them.

Good method of adding SeaMonkey.
Thanks for posting that. :)

Lemon Juice wrote:Yes, Ubuntuzilla works and SM can be added to the system software manager. Some time ago I added Ubuntuzilla and described it in this post. This still works until today, however the releases may not always be updated immediately, currently the repository provides SM 2.29.1

Also, a good method for adding SeaMonkey.
Thanks for posting that. :)
epp

Post by epp »

James wrote:

Unless it has changed since, Ubuntu stopped providing SeaMonkey packages since April 2012.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/seamonkey/+bug/987713

flaneurb wrote:64-bit --- ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/s ... ases/2.30/contrib/seamonkey-2.30.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 (but this is a "contributed" build; )
Yes and no as these are built on same machines as other builds, just that they are still not officially supported for them to be in contrib folder.

The 64-bit SeaMonkey Linux build is in the Contrib folder on Mozilla's FTP web site. I've been using them for five years now and have never had a problem using them. :)

I created a seamonkey directory inside my /home directory and extracted the *.tar.bz2 file there. Works like a charm.
Debian unstable
James

Post by James »

epp wrote:The 64-bit SeaMonkey Linux build is in the Contrib folder on Mozilla's FTP web site.

Yes I know they are in the Contrib folder, just that they are not officially supported to the same degree as the 32-bit Linux SeaMonkey are supported as to why the 64-bit builds are in Contrib folder and not have its own folder like the other builds.
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

James are saying the 64 bit SeaMonkey is not patched as often? I went back to using 64 bit Windows but that a long story. If you install 64 bit, will you still have the 32 bit browser? I still use 64 bit Linux.
James

Post by James »

The 64-bit Linux builds get the same as 32-bit I believe.

There are only Win32 for Windows though with Mozilla planning to have Win64 Firefox as early as Firefox 37.0 there could be Win64 SeaMonkey also in future.
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

James wrote:
epp wrote:The 64-bit SeaMonkey Linux build is in the Contrib folder on Mozilla's FTP web site.

Yes I know they are in the Contrib folder, just that they are not officially supported to the same degree as the 32-bit Linux SeaMonkey are supported as to why the 64-bit builds are in Contrib folder and not have its own folder like the other builds.

James wrote:The 64-bit Linux builds get the same as 32-bit I believe.

There are only Win32 for Windows though with Mozilla planning to have Win64 Firefox as early as Firefox 37.0 there could be Win64 SeaMonkey also in future.

Thank you for the information James. I wasn't real clear on my posting, too tired. What did you mean by this statement "just that they are not officially supported to the same degree as the 32-bit Linux"

I know this is off-topic
See, I dual boot between Windows 7 & Linux. I have a lot of 16 bit software. So, I tried Windows 7 32 bit for awhile. I found out some of the 16 bit software did not work in Windows 7 32 bit, but did in Linux 64 bit with wine 32 bit installed. That what I meant, I switched backed to Windows 64 bit, I hope you followed that ok.