MozillaZine

Thunderbird 24.6.0 hangs (not responding) on message delete

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tormey

Post Posted September 2nd, 2014, 2:17 pm

I'm not quite sure what to do, even having read the article referred to. Why should I unsubscribe to "All mail"? Would this affect excessive time consumed on emptying trash folders?
Indeed I did not find a specific order of operations related to current settings.
And again it looks mysterious that this occurs at a specific Thunderbird version level???

kajtarb

Post Posted October 17th, 2014, 1:08 am

wsm wrote:
tormey wrote:My experience have equally frustrating. Running an up-to-date Windows 8.1 and TB 24.6.0 this does reduce the value using TB. Details being thoroughly described above, also applies to my problem.
Antivirus being AVG Free updated 2014.0.4765.
E-mail server being Google -currently using 2,7Gb on server.
Protocol being IMAP.
I've not yet found any time to test anything except repair folder and compress, Though without any luck.

Have you unsubscribed from the "All Mail" folder??

Hi All,

Back here again. Meaning things don't go too well.

There were a couple of weeks of acceptable behaviour from TB, but lately it has gone back to hanging for long long times on message downloads/deletes/synchronizing.

Now even typing a new message is annoying: there is approx 1 second delay on each key stroke and it completely stalls, when communication is happening with the server on the main window.

Switching on/off the IDLE command does not make any difference any more.

I have checked the above suggestion, but I don't see an All Mail folder anywhere I have looked.

I have archived a lot of mail to reduce the inbox size but no difference.

Another additional bit that might be interesting. TB is used on two User Accounts on this laptop with win 8.1 one has TB set up with two Gmail accounts and the other with only one from the two and symptoms are the same on both.

Currently running TB 31.2.0 so there has been an update since my first post (31.0)

retexan599

Post Posted October 17th, 2014, 3:40 am

I have given up on TB because of the frequent "Not Responding" wait times. I switched to Windows Live Mail. Thanks for all the advice on this forum, and hope things work out well for the rest of you going forward.

kajtarb

Post Posted October 18th, 2014, 5:35 am

More info:

Just thought this might give more clues of what is happening, or may help find a common pattern.

I am using Plusnet broadband with a BT HomeHub 5 symptoms present both wired and wireless connections.

Could it be a router setting?

Edit: on the other hand,my other computer running Win XP on the same network does not show any of this trouble.

kajtarb

Post Posted October 29th, 2014, 3:46 pm

SOLVED

Hi All,

I have successfully solved the mystery of "Not responding" Thunderbird in my case.

And looking back it is so obvious that I am amazed no one had suggested it before. Or I just missed it...

Anyway, the culprit was my Firewall/Antivirus

I use Plusnet Protect, which is a McAfee Security Centre that comes branded from my ISP. This includes firewall, web protection, email protection, antivirus, vulnerability scanner etc. A lot of stuff, all integrated under one control panel.

I have turned Net Guard off for TB under "Internet connections for programs" +
set Smart Advice to asking for advice from user, instead automatic decision.

This seems to work and I'll be really disappointed if it will not on the long run. But still it will have to be some kind of setting in the security centre, because when I disable it TB works all fine.

wsmwk

Post Posted October 29th, 2014, 5:43 pm

kajtarb wrote:SOLVED
And looking back it is so obvious that I am amazed no one had suggested it before. Or I just missed it...

Anyway, the culprit was my Firewall/Antivirus

I use Plusnet Protect, which is a McAfee Security Centre that comes branded from my ISP. This includes firewall, web protection, email protection, antivirus, vulnerability scanner etc. A lot of stuff, all integrated under one control panel.

I have turned Net Guard off for TB under "Internet connections for programs" +
set Smart Advice to asking for advice from user, instead automatic decision.

Had you run safe mode as suggested on 18 Aug?
It should have helped you zero in much sooner :)

kajtarb

Post Posted November 4th, 2014, 5:48 pm

wsm wrote:

Yes, I have, but not having had major trouble with Win 8.1 or this laptop I did not know how to do it. I actually had to look up getting to Safe mode online, because I could not figure it out on my own... :-k ](*,)
This what happens, when you take a huge step, instead many small ones = from XP to Win8 :D
But I have to say, it has been made very complicated, for no real reason...

Anyways.
I still had trouble with TBird after my last post, but now I knew what to home in on.
And found this great resource that helped me finally crack it =D> :idea:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... nce_Issues

Although it is not from yesterday, it still proved to be valid in my case.
Recommended reading.
I followed the steps relating to TBird with McAfee that I was able to follow on the newer version of Security Centre that I have.

Good luck to you all.

wsmwk

Post Posted November 4th, 2014, 6:15 pm

kajtarb wrote:
wsm wrote:

I still had trouble with TBird after my last post, but now I knew what to home in on.
And found this great resource that helped me finally crack it =D> :idea:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... nce_Issues

Great work. Glad it was helpful. You have now met the primary author.

kajtarb

Post Posted November 5th, 2014, 12:09 pm

[/quote]
Great work. Glad it was helpful. You have now met the primary author.[/quote]

:D :D

It was a pleasure

LIMPET235

Post Posted August 7th, 2015, 8:52 am

agasoft,
I split your post off to here, as this old thread was not relevant to your version.
> viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2952719

Locking this oldie.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Return to Thunderbird Support