Setting up an email account in SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
elake

Setting up an email account in SeaMonkey

Post by elake »

I just bought a new laptop, and I thought I'd use Outlook for my emails. So, when I downloaded SeaMonkey, I THINK there were options and I opted to NOT download the SeaMonkey email program. Then I decided I didn't like Outlook's email program.

Now, when I open the news and mails window in SeaMonkey, I get only news options. There doesn't seem to be any way to set up my outlook.com email address as an email account.

Do I need to download and install SeaMonkey again to install the email program, or is there some way I can just install the email program by itself? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Ed
barbaz

Re: Setting up an email account in SeaMonkey

Post by barbaz »

There are no such options at download time, so not sure what you're referring to? (Maybe Windows has those options at install time?)

Try (if you can)
Window > Mail & Newsgroups
then, in the window that comes up
Edit > Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings > Add Account

If you can't do all those steps, or if you aren't given the option to create an email account, I suppose you could try downloading & installing again, but first try a clean profile and see if it works there
therube

Post by therube »

What version of SeaMonkey?

There is or at least was a bug, something to the effect that if you did so & so, only News would be available for selection on a new account setup. (Not finding the bug offhand, or it's been fixed?)

> Maybe Windows has those options at install time

No, it's the same.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
elake

Post by elake »

I'm using Seamonkey 2.30. I just installed it about two weeks ago.

I click on "Window," then "Mail & Newsgroups."

I click on "Create a new account." It asks me for my name and my email address. I use my outlook email address.

Then it asks me for the name of my newsgroup server, not the email server. And it fills in "news.mozilla.org."

I tried typing in imp-mail-outlook.com over "news.mozilla,com, but it never asks for the outgoing mail server. And I can't prepare an email without an outgoing server.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding something, but it seems like I'm in a newsgroup server program, NOT an email program.

When I try to compose an email, it has a box for the outgoing server that says "use default server," and there's no way to change it

When I get the email composition form, the "from" box is not filled in, and there's no way to fill it in with my outlook address.

Ed
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

elake wrote:I click on "Create a new account." It asks me for my name and my email address

This is wrong. It should offer you a list of types of accounts, from which you can select "Email account". Only after that are you asked your name & email.

Did a clean profile or a re-download/re-install not make any difference then?

elake wrote:When I try to compose an email, it has a box for the outgoing server that says "use default server," and there's no way to change it

When I get the email composition form, the "from" box is not filled in, and there's no way to fill it in with my outlook address.

That's expected, since you haven't set up an email account (and apparently can't).
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

@elake
barbaz wrote:
elake wrote:I click on "Create a new account." It asks me for my name and my email address

This is wrong. It should offer you a list of types of accounts, from which you can select "Email account". Only after that are you asked your name & email.

Window with "an offer" should looks like this:
(with enabled Modern theme for SM and Classic Shell for Win8.1)

If you can't see anything than "newsgroup account" and you've got (and used) MS Outlook (from MS Office) then you could check Windows 8.1 setting for default e-mail client/program. Set it to SeaMonkey, open SM browser and click e-mail icon at a bottom-left corner of browser's window.
--
elake

Post by elake »

TPR75,

Okay. I'll give that a try when I get a chance later today. Thanks.

Right now I'm on my old desktop computer. It runs under Windows XP. Finding things in Window 8.1 on my laptop is still a chore for me. But, I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Ed
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

elake wrote:Right now I'm on my old desktop computer. It runs under Windows XP. Finding things in Window 8.1 on my laptop is still a chore for me.

Then try Classic Shell:
http://www.classicshell.net/

You can make Win8.x user interface look like/similar to Win98/Win2k/WinXPClassic. Minus that f**king annoying flat windows which I didn't managed to change (Win 8.1 Preview on VirtualBox 4.3.18)...
--
elake

Post by elake »

TPR75,

I'm on my laptop, but I'm just staring at it and wondering where to begin. On my desktop I just work with the same applications I've used for a decade or more.

I don't think downloading "classic shell" is going to help me. It wouldn't be "classic" to me. It would just be something else I've rarely or never seen or worked with before.

I set up my email accounts on my desktop over 10 years ago using Netscape. I still use Netscape for my emails there.

Last week, using my laptop, somewhere I found instructions on how to set up outlook email in another email program. Now I need to find that set of instructions again. And I need to write things down when I find them, and where and how I found them. I'm just bumbling around, and occasionally I stumble across an answer, but I don't know how I found the answer or how to find it again.

It's clear I don''t need to download SeaMonkey again to get the email software. Thanks for your help on that. I'll just bumble around when I have the time and try to figure out how to get to the Windows 8.1 "interface" that will allow me to set the default email program.

I just found a window for choosing default apps. Outlook was set as the default for emails. I changed it to SeaMonkey. Now I'll go back to see if I can set up the account.

Nope. I still don't get the box you showed. I just get stuff about news groups.

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

When I was puttering around yesterday, I tried changing the account from news.mozilla.com (I think that's what it was) to imp-mail-outlook.com to see if that was how to set up an email account. I just changed it back to news.mozilla.com and that allowed me to get a window for setting up an email account. But I still can't get it to work. And now I'm thinking I need to start all over again, because I've changed things without writing down what the originally were. So, I can't be sure I'm correctly UNdoing things.

I'm still totally lost.

Ed
Last edited by elake on November 18th, 2014, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

elake wrote:I just found a window for choosing default apps. Outlook was set as the default for emails. I changed it to SeaMonkey. Now I'll go back to see if I can set up the account.

Nope. I still don't get the box you showed. I just get stuff about news groups.

Open SeaMonkey browser (default action). In lower-left corner you should see some icon:

(I've made it smaller to fit this forum)

Choose "envelope" to open "Mail & Newsgroups" client. Then you should see window from my earlier post.
--
elake

Post by elake »

Yeah, that takes me to the "local folders - SeaMonkey" window. I've been there many times before.
In that window I click on "Create a new account."
That gives me a small "Account Wizard" window where I need to fill in my name. It has my outlook email address set.
When I've typed in my name, I then click on NEXT.
That gives me a window for entering my NEWSSERVER address NNTP. It has news.mozilla.com filled in.
The only way to get anywhere from there is to change the Newsgroup server.
elake

Post by elake »

When I click on "view settings for this account," that gives me a window for "account settings."
I've got the "account name" set to "Outlook mail." There's a way to browse for "local directory," but I have no clue what that means.
I could change the "account name" to "imp-mail-outlook.com," but I think I did that once before and nothing changed.

The "Choose App default" window is currently set back to outlook as the default for mail, not SeaMonkey. When changing it changes nothing else, I set it back so that my Outlook email will work.
Last edited by elake on November 18th, 2014, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
elake

Post by elake »

I'm thinking that maybe I need to shut down my computer to make the change in Default apps work.
There doesn't seem to be any way to click on "APPLY" or "DO IT."

But, I'm also running out of time. In a few minutes, I'll have to close my laptop and go run some errands for a couple hours.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

elake wrote:When I click on "view settings for this account," that gives me a window for "account settings."
I've got the "account name" set to "Outlook mail." There's a way to brows for "local directory," but I have no clue what that means.
I could change the "account name" to "imp-mail-outlook.com," but I think I did that once before and nothing changed.

"Local folders" is a thing to collect all e-mail messages from all potential e-mail accounts in one place.

When you see this window (with "Local folders") go to account settings:
Menu -> Edit -> "Mail & Newsgroups account settings..." -> "Add account..." -> you should see window with three choices (first picture I've posted)
--