I can't get to dogpile through Firefox or IE

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
moon333

I can't get to dogpile through Firefox or IE

Post by moon333 »

I just recently got Verizon DSL, and now I can no longer do searches at www.dogpile.com.
When I try with Firefox, it says, "the connection was refused when attempting to connect to clickit.go2net.com"...which happens to be the dogpile site.
When I try with IE, it just says, "the page cannot be displayed".
I thought it was the firewall that is built into the modem, but my son has the same dsl, and he can do searches at dogpile just fine.
I have tried turning off my other firewalls, (sygate and the windows firewall)...to no avail...and they never interfered with anything in the past. I have installed Ad-Ware, Spy-Bot, CWshredder and Hijackthis...none of them have helped at all.
I have talked to technical support at Verizon, and all they could come up with is that it sounds like some sort of spyware.
I even did a system restore...no help there either.

I think it must be a setting somewhere, but I don't know what. I have tried changing a few settings, but nothing has worked at all.
I also have noticed that on the Yahoo main page, not all of the graphics show like they used to...which is kind of odd.

I have windows xp as my os.

I hope someone can help me with this problem, as dogpile is my favorite search engine, and I want it back!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Works for me even with the extra period after com.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
FallenDarkest

Post by FallenDarkest »

must be cookie blocking it or maybe a DNS issue with that site
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

If "Spy-Bot" you're talking about is Spybot-S&D, check blocked sites there, it probably blocks it as dogpile is known for tracing cookies, adds and such. I'm not 100% sure but one of my junk-blockers had it listed, i THINK it may have been Spybot-S&D.
moon333

dogpile search problem

Post by moon333 »

No, you don't understand. I can get to the dogpile home page, I simply cannot conduct a search from there.
And yes, I downloaded Spy-Bot S&D....AFTER the problem with dogpile searches started, so spy-bot didn't cause it, it simply hasn't fixed it.

Are there any experts out there who might be able to puzzle this problem out???
hellene

Post by hellene »

If dogpile uses tracking cookies, you may need to have cookies enabled.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
Orions_Stardom

Post by Orions_Stardom »

FallenDarkest wrote:must be cookie blocking it

I don't quite understand if you mean by this that moon333 must be blocking cookies from dogpile, and that this is causing this problem, or that there must be another cookie which blocks dogpile search, but both are unlikely.
For the former, I just tried myself to do a dogpile search with cookies disabled - it worked. Meaning it doesn't need cookies to work, meaning that even if moon333 is blocking cookies from dogpile, it doesn't make sense that this should stop searching.
For the latter, how likely is it that moon333 has a cookie that is blocking dogpile search in two separate browsers?

or maybe a DNS issue with that site

DNS issues, as far as I know, don't cause the connection to be refused. Refused connection means (according to the page Firefox generates for this error with browser.xul.error_pages.enabled set to true) that the DNS lookup resolved to a valid IP, with a computer there, but that the computer at that IP either drops your connection prematurely, or doesn't pick it up in the first place (eg, if it doesn't have an HTTP server running).
In other words, this isn't DNS because the error that Firefox gives ends up with it being past the point where it could be a DNS issue. Also, it isn't likely (and I think maybe not even <em>possible</em>) that a DNS issue would cause the exact symptoms whereby the homepage is displayed, but searches fail.

If "Spy-Bot" you're talking about is Spybot-S&D, check blocked sites there, it probably blocks it as dogpile is known for tracing cookies, adds and such. I'm not 100% sure but one of my junk-blockers had it listed, i THINK it may have been Spybot-S&D.

While it <em>could</em> be an anti-badthings app doing this, I don't see it as being likely - they usually block access to the site, or block scripts on that site, or block cookies on that site - I've never heard of such a thing happening as them block specific pages within a domain, especially a search engine. But admittedly, my experience with the anti-badthing apps is very limited.

By the same reasoning as the above posts, I can't imagine it being a system config file. The only ones I know of that would affext both browsers are HOSTS and LMHOSTS, and they would cause DNS errors, since they provide local DNS repositories.

my son has the same dsl, and he can do searches at dogpile just fine.

I take this to mean that your son lives away from you, and has the same plan from the same ISP (rather than, your son living with you and having his own computer connected to the same modem). If this is the case, the problem could indeed be in the moden itself - that being, your particular modem.
holdem

Post by holdem »

I can't get to dogpile and I dont want to either with a name like that I'm best off out of it. The reason I can't access it is because it's listed in my host file.

Read more at the post below on how to change host file.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=249650
<a href="http://www.control-escape.com/linux.html"><u>XP Users Try Linux</u></a>
<a href="http://www.openoffice.org/"><u>OO</u></a> <a href="http://www.ubuntu.com/"><u>Ubuntu</u></a>
moon333

thank you orions_stardom and holdem!!!

Post by moon333 »

It's fixed! Dogpile works once again, and I am just ecstatic!!!!!

OK...it evidently was a matter of the dogpile site being hijacked...it was listed in my host files...several times, along with clickit.go2net.com. I changed my host file, then made sure the backup was the same, made sure I put it back to 'read only'....and voila, life is good again!

By the way, orion...my son DOES live with me and uses the same modem, so I knew it couldn't be the modem when I saw that he didn't have the same trouble I did. I want to thank you for helping lead me to the answer to this problem.

Thank you very much, holdem...I saw your posting to deerwoman, and my problem was almost identical, so the same thing worked for me. You should try dogpile sometime. It is a meta-search engine, and is simply wonderful for finding things on the net. (Don't let the name fool ya!)

I gotta go do my homework....I hope y'all have a great day...and thanks soooooooooooo much again!!!!!!!!