Firefox 34.0 - new Search Bar scheme

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
the-edmeister

Firefox 34.0 - new Search Bar scheme

Post by the-edmeister »

Anyone seen the new Search Bar scheme in 34.0b11 that came out today? Curious what your thoughts about are.
Overall the features are not very discoverable, IMO, and I have been using Firefox since Phoenix 0.3 in Sept 2002. Gone is the text in the drop-down which is fun for some websites where I have multiple search engines with the same icon, Like MozillaZIne, Mozilla Support, various other Mozilla websites, and various Google features like images, maps, and search. 36 search engine and only 23 different icons, means I have to rely upon hover tool tips to tell one from another where I have the same icons grouped together.

Gone are the text labels for the about:home and about:newtab pages, along with the ability to changes the search engine from those pages - which was a new feature in Firefox 31. And at least on WinXp the selected search engine isn't even visible on the Search Bar without clicking on the Magnifying Glass icon to open the drop-down. I saw a screenshot posted by another user with Win7 and it did show the selected Search Engine without clicking anything, so what Isee is either a shortcoming with the default theme on WinXP or it's a Bug.

Then there's the new Options > Search tab which has something called "one-click search engines", which I don't understand after playing with it for awhile.

Considering that at the beginning of this week 34 was on the calendar for release next Tuesday, and since then it was pushed back to Dec 2nd. And today this new feature appears without passing thru Nightly and Aurora. In wonder if this "pig with lipstick" was pushed thru way too quickly without enough user input and for it to happen for the benefit of Yahoo and the new agreement that was announced on the 19th - two days ago?

Edited the title of this thread now that Firefox 34.0.5 has been released.
Last edited by the-edmeister on December 1st, 2014, 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Mouse5

Re: 34.0b11 - new Search Bar scheme

Post by Mouse5 »

yeah i just noticed it but i knew that anyway, dunno why Mozilla just didnt put a Y there to promote a Yahoo search. but as i think someone else has said, a lot of Linux Distro's tend to use DuckDuckgo as there default search

guess they push it into ff34.0 so they can get feedback. but i cant see why they couldnt leave it as it was
Last edited by Mouse5 on November 22nd, 2014, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Because addon is not working.
So, I disable new ugly searchbar UI., setting browser.search.showOneOffButtons = false :mrgreen:
dkgo

Post by dkgo »

the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Geez, 11 days before release of 34 and some of the features aren't completed yet? And next week is a holiday week with probably only 3 work days.

I saw that Bug earlier, but with Platform: x86 Mac OS X listed I didn't read it carefully enough or look at the attachments.

Alice - thanks for that pref. It turned off the new feature in the Search Bar but the Start Page and the new tab page the "engine selector" wasn't reverted, but I wasn't even aware of that feature until yesterday. LOL
Am I stupid for not discovering that feature myself since Fx 31 was released or was it not very discoverable?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Thanks Alice! =D>

What idiotic ****ing lamebrain came up with this 'improvement'? ](*,) Unless I'm being stupid that seems to be the only way of restoring my dropdown list of twenty or so search engines?
Aris

Post by Aris »

Anyone else sees the misplaced seach engine button, if browser.search.showOneOffButtons is set to false?

Temp. fix:

Code: Select all

.searchbar-engine-button{
  -moz-padding-start: 4px !important;
}

Why this change was made on beta, but not on Nightly?
Greenix

Post by Greenix »

Who thought it was a good idea to land these changes in the beta channel? This is nowhere finished. Do they want to hide the fact that Google won't be the default search engine anymore?

You can't remove search engines, you can't reorder them, you can't add or modify keyboard shortcuts and you can't open the alternative search engines in a new tab.
Also it replaces a simple list with a cluttered drop down. This doesn't even belong in the Aurora channel.

Edit: oh god, you can't even tab through the results anymore.
Last edited by Greenix on November 22nd, 2014, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pumaX

Post by pumaX »

Why was my post deleted? Anyway, this change hasn't happened for me.
dao-g

Post by dao-g »

You should really file bugs on the issues you've found and make them block https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1088660 if they aren't already there.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

pumaX wrote:Why was my post deleted? Anyway, this change hasn't happened for me.

why youre post was deleted? cause you added nothing to the conversation, all you typed was " what "
pumaX

Post by pumaX »

ArchRival wrote:why youre post was deleted? cause you added nothing to the conversation, all you typed was " what "

Because I didn't understand what was new about the search bar since nothing changed for me.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Well seeing as your user agent says you are using Firefox 26 then nothing will have changed. It is only in the most recent Beta build
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

pumaX wrote:
ArchRival wrote:why youre post was deleted? cause you added nothing to the conversation, all you typed was " what "

Because I didn't understand what was new about the search bar since nothing changed for me.

You didn't see anything because according to your UA your running Firefox 24. This is a new change in Firefox 34 beta builds. Its not even in Nightly's yet, and I guess that's because they want to do something different down the road, but they want to rush this out the door for Firefox 34, due out 1st week in December.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Alice0775 wrote:Because addon is not working.
So, I disable new ugly searchbar UI., setting browser.search.showOneOffButtons = false :mrgreen:

Thanks, Good to know if this finds itself moving forward to release. The devs apparently don't have anything to do except test the users ability to find this sort of crap.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970