Big attachments -> Thunderbird almost freezes system

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
sokolov

Big attachments -> Thunderbird almost freezes system

Post by sokolov »

I have received a message with 8 JPG-pictures attached, totalling some 3.2 MB. Everytime I access the message in Thunderbird, the programm stops reacting to inputs for several minutes and my hole systems becomes very slow. However, I can't find anythign with a CPU load in the thread list.

I suppose, Thunderbird tries to show the images in the preview, and it takes some time to extract the files from the compressed inbox file.

Is there a way to disable the preview of attached images in Thunderbird? Or what else could I do?

Thank you for ideas!
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

You could turn off the preview pane. That has always and in all e-mail clients been a resource hog anyway as well as a security threat in most (though not really in Thunderbird).
sokolov

Post by sokolov »

But that's noc solution for me as I need the preview pane with all other emails. I would just like the preview window to display text only. No images.
Rus

Post by Rus »

At the moment TB at my system simply refuses to download messages with large attachments.... They are simpley left in the mailbox and I can see them if I use webmail. A very strange thing!! I hope somebody knows a solution. Have used Eudora and Outlook and never had this thing before.
(TB version 1.0.2 / I noticed the topic is also actual in another thread, so I will go on there.)
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Check
Tools - Account Settings - Disk Space

You might have marked "To save disk space, do not download:" "Messages larger than ... KB".
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

For Rus -

For timeout problems with downloading messages with large attachements, see this post:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 02#1350702

Your problem is not the same as the original poster's. If you need to communicate anything further, please start your own thread to avoid confusion and conflicting answers.
Last edited by makaiguy on January 1st, 2006, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
sokolov

Post by sokolov »

Well, I don't have a problem with the download. The message and all attached files are already in my local TB inbox. My problem is that it takes ages to preview the message and that this process blocks my whole system.
sokolov

Post by sokolov »

The solution was do disable the inclined presentation of attachments.