Unable to view pdf files in FireFox...

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Unable to view pdf files in FireFox...

Post by Guest »

I'm using Firefox v1.0.2 and cannot view pdf files. I'm having to load IE when I encounter a pdf file. I'm using acrobat 7.0 and it works fine with IE. I checked the TOOLS>OPTIONS>Plug-ins and I have Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package enabled. What am i missing? Any thoughts on how to rectify the situation?

Thanks in advance!

Post by Guest »

I'm having the same problem, which started today and only after I had updated Acrobat 7. Here's hoping Foxfire has some solutions for this.
firemonkey

Post by firemonkey »

Well I have the following listed:

Extension: FDF Adobe Acrobat Forms Document
Extension: PDF Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document
Extession: XDP Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package
Extension: XFDF Adove Acrobat Forms Document

The PDF one being the important one.
Firefox should detect the browser plugin if it is installed, and the Adobe Reader installer will install the plugin automatically if you install it after Firefox. If you do not see all of the above I might suggeset reainstalling Acrobat.

If you type about:plugins in the address bar, what does it say under Adobe Acrobat?
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Adobe Reader 7.0
Type about:plugins in the address bar
You should see something similiar to:

File name: /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
The Adobe Reader plugin is used to enable viewing of PDF and FDF files from within the browser.

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/pdf Portable Document Format pdf Yes
application/vnd.fdf Acrobat Forms Data Format fdf Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xfdf XML Version of Acrobat Forms Data Format xfdf Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml Acrobat XML Data Package xdp Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xml Adobe FormFlow99 Data File xfd Yes
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.26-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list
JeremyWW

Post by JeremyWW »

Suggest re-installing Acrobat. I'm running FF 1.02 with Acrobat Reader 7.0.1 with no problems at all.
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

anyone know how to associate filetypes (like PDF) to open with a specific app (like FoxIt PDF Reader) in prefs.js?

Post by Guest »

I'm having the same issue. Cannot open a PDF with FF 1.0.2.
I have reinstalled Adobe (twice)...didn't fix the issue.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I tried out FoxIt, to get it to work I had to open FoxIt and set it as my default pdf reader. I don't know about prefs.js, but in Tools - > Options -> Downloads there is a place where you can choose to always perform a specific action with a given file type.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
rtmjr50

Re: Unable to view pdf files in FireFox...

Post by rtmjr50 »

Anonymous wrote:I'm using Firefox v1.0.2 and cannot view pdf files. I'm having to load IE when I encounter a pdf file. I'm using acrobat 7.0 and it works fine with IE. I checked the TOOLS>OPTIONS>Plug-ins and I have Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package enabled. What am i missing? Any thoughts on how to rectify the situation?

Thanks in advance!

I'm using firefox 1.02 and just installed firefox 1.03 and adobe reader 7.0 with winxp/sp2 .... and have no problems with pdf files ...

so, it does works ....

did you install the current version of firefox in a clear install?? .... uninstall the old version using window add/remove before installing the new version of firefox using the window installer?? ... if not, this could be yor problem ... If so, ....

(1) I am assuming that you are using winxp since adobe 7 only works for winxp
(2) have you read the adobe sticky?? http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=74534
(3) have you gone to window add/removed and made sure that you have no other version of adobe reader installed in your computer .... firefox will use the first version of adobe that it finds ... so having more than one version installed on your computer can be a problem ..

SO, if you have done 1,2, and 3 ... and still can not get it to work ... I would uninstall adobe reader from your computer and then try reinstalling it again .... this seems to fix lots of problems with adobe and firefox ....
read: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 8508#Adobe

finally, you may want to consider creating a new profile .... this fixes a lot of problems with firefox
read: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 94#1241994

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.