FF 33.1.1 unable to log into extra secure sites-bug

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
6rtury

FF 33.1.1 unable to log into extra secure sites-bug

Post by 6rtury »

With my update to v.33.1.1, I am unable to bring up the Bill Pay option at my bank. I have no problem logging into my account and viewing everything else there, but when I click on the "Bill Pay" tab, a screen appears as follows:

"Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at olb.doverfcu.com.
Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of http://www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

I have ruled out my firewall, plugins and all settings that I can see in FF. If I use IE 11 (latest version) I have no problems opening this tab. Also, if I use IE Tab2 for my initial login to the bank, the problem does not occur. The error log shows the following:

"[CustomizableUI]" "TypeError: container is undefined -- resource://app/modules/CustomizableUI.jsm:830" CustomizableUI.jsm:163
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. d1709.js:26
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. ScriptResource.axd:9
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. ScriptResource.axd:9"

Is this a bug or am I missing a setting somewhere?
6rtury
DanRaisch

Re: FF 33.1.1 unable to log into extra secure sites-bug

Post by DanRaisch »

Clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

I routinely get rid of all cookies, clear history, entire cache etc when I close the browser. This morning after loading FF first thing and after logging into the main site, I still could not bring up the BillPay tab screen.

I am on the latest version of Java and have put in the urls related to this banking site, including the url where it tries to get on BillPay. Problem remains. Don't know what else I cah change.
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

P.S. when I contacted the bank, they told me not to use Firefox, and instead use IE 11, which I despise. I have a feeling that BillPay is a separate piece or addon for the bank and it has its own security requirements.
therube

Post by therube »

Bank & URL?

> I am on the latest version of Java

Is Java required?
Is that Java 7 or 8?

As a test, create a new, clean Profile & see if you're able to log in with that.

> With my update to v.33.1.1

Which version did you update from?

> Server not found ... Firefox can't find the server at

Error loading websites
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

6rtury wrote:P.S. when I contacted the bank, they told me not to use Firefox, and instead use IE 11, which I despise. I have a feeling that BillPay is a separate piece or addon for the bank and it has its own security requirements.

Can you log in at this page > https://online.doverfcu.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

JayhawksRock: Yes, as I said above, I have no problem logging into the bank and my account, and viewing all of my account info. These are the tabs for account activity, account summary, the tab for viewing messages to and from the bank etc. It is only when I go to the tab titled Bill Pay, where I can set up and view direct payments from my account, that I get the above error.I am still logged into my account but cannot access the functions of that tab. It does not happen if I log into my account using IE Tab 2 or IE 11. This started only after I updated to 33.1.1 last Friday. Had no problem before then. The same day I updated FF I also updated Adobe Flash. Don't know if Flash is involved here.

therube: Don't know if Java is involved here or not. The error message from the Log indicates a Java script I believe. I am running Java 7 bld 71. As for the document you reference, is it for the most recent version of FF?

6rtury
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

P.S. How do I try setting up a new profile? Just rename the old profile to something else and FF will automatically set up a new one?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
James

Post by James »

6rtury wrote:Don't know if Java is involved here or not. The error message from the Log indicates a Java script I believe. I am running Java 7 bld 71.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/JavaScript_is_not_Java

If only they kept the original name of LiveScript to prevent confusion.
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

therube and Maliz:
The new profile worked! With no extensions and plugins, I am able to open that tab with no problem. Now...to find the culprit. It could be any one of my extensions that is incompatible. Also, at the same day I updated FF, I also updated Adobe Flash. AF supposedly closes several security holes in the last version, and I'd like to keep it. If I cannot find the source of the problem, I'll just set up IE Tab2 to automatically load my banking site when I call it.
Maliz: Thanks for the link to the profile article.
Just for the heck of it, will post the name of the plugin when/if I find it.

6rtury
Noah Werka

Post by Noah Werka »

I had the same problem with Bill Pay on my bank sites. Turned out Bill Pay uses third party cookies. I had both FF and SM set up to block third partie cookies. Once I set the Options/Prefs to allow third party cookies, I was able to access Bill Pay. Might be as simple as allowing third party cookies.

Noah W
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

Noah:

That fixed it! Although I did have third party cookies enabled before, I enabled it only for "Sites Visited". I would have thought this setting was OK for a link clicked in a site to which I was already logged in. I was wrong. There must be some strange off-site relationship between my bank and Bill Pay.

After playing around with all combinations of settings relating to third party and regular cookies, the only setting that solved the problem was to "Always" allow Third Party cookies. I had it set to allow them for "Sites Visited", and this is what was causing the problem. Not sure why "Sites Visited" didn't work. Other settings, such as clearing all cookies when I close FF (or when I do the Shift-Ctrl-Delete combination), make no difference.
6rtury
Thanks for a simple solution
Noah Werka

Post by Noah Werka »

If i know I am going to a bank site, I will change prefs to "Always" allow all third party cookies. When I log out of the bank site, I change prefs back to "Sites Visited" and leave it there until I go back to a bank site, then change to "Always".

Noah W
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

Noah Werka wrote:If i know I am going to a bank site, I will change prefs to "Always" allow all third party cookies. When I log out of the bank site, I change prefs back to "Sites Visited" and leave it there until I go back to a bank site, then change to "Always".

If you can discover what the URL is for the "third-party" that needs to set a cookie, you can just make an entry for it in the cookie
exceptions dialog, and be done with it once and for all.