Fx 33.1.1 cannot copy and paste to clipboard with javascript

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
aditya.aery

Fx 33.1.1 cannot copy and paste to clipboard with javascript

Post by aditya.aery »

Hello,

I am trying to implement "Copy to Clipboard" functionality in Mozilla Firefox 33.1. Simplest option is to use javascript window prompt

window.prompt("Copy to clipboard: Ctrl+C, Enter", "test");

But using this option, I can't avoid the unnecessary "Ok" and "Cancel" button in the prompt. Moreover, it opens a new tab to display the javascript prompt. I tried another way by using the following line of code in my <script> block

$('<input type="text">').appendTo('body').val("test val").select();

But it doesn't seem to work. Basically, I want to implement a popup from the same page (Spawn a text box, put the text in and select it so that the user can copy it with the platform specific key combination).

Can someone please help me to understand how I can achieve this in javascript? A working example in this regard will be very helpful.

Thanks
Aditya Aery
Last edited by James on November 29th, 2014, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: splitted off from old Dec 2012 thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2626379
patrickjdempsey

Re: Fx 33.1.1 cannot copy and paste to clipboard with javasc

Post by patrickjdempsey »

For a long long time now, for security reasons, websites are not allowed to have access to the clipboard.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

The OP isn't trying to access the clipboard though. :) Btw, there are security implications with writing (not reading) to the clipboard? I thought that was only the most annoying thing ever.

@OP select() works even in jQuery. Working example:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
$(document).ready(function(){
 $("#btn1").click(function(){
  $('<input type="text">').appendTo('body').val("test val").select();
 });
});
</script>
</head>
<body>
<button id="btn1">click me</button>
</body>
</html>
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

aditya.aery wrote:

window.prompt("Copy to clipboard: Ctrl+C, Enter", "test");

But using this option, I can't avoid the unnecessary "Ok" and "Cancel" button in the prompt. Moreover, it opens a new tab to display the javascript prompt.

I agree you're stuck with OK and Cancel, which is confusing for the user since neither has any effect, but I don't know why you would get the prompt on a new tab. That sounds like a bug.

aditya.aery wrote:Basically, I want to implement a popup from the same page (Spawn a text box, put the text in and select it so that the user can copy it with the platform specific key combination).

You could have a hidden div that you display when needed. Maybe along these lines:

Proof-of-concept only! <button onclick="document.getElementById('copyfrom').style.display='block'; var d=new Date(); document.getElementById('texttocopy').innerHTML='woo-hoo! '+d.toString(); document.getElementById('texttocopy').select();">Show control</button>
<div id="copyfrom" style="position:absolute; z-index:100; height:250px; top:50px; width:400px; left:50px; display:none; background-color:blue;"><textarea id="texttocopy" style="width:380px; height:200px; margin:5px; padding:5px; border:none"></textarea><br>
<button onclick="document.getElementById('copyfrom').style.display='none';" style="display:block; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;">Close</button></div>