[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
JimInSanDiego

Feature Request: default & hover background color

Post by JimInSanDiego »

Is is possible to add a feature to choose the default background color for a tab and the background color when I am hovering over the tab? I can set text features but not tab color.
late 2014 27" iMac 3.5GHz i7 24 GB RAM, 3T Fusion Drive w/ El Capitan OS X 10.11.3b Yosemite 10.10.5
mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz i5 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, El Capitan OS X 10.11.2
iPad Air 64 GB, iOS 9.2b
Virtual_ManPL

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (Customize UI) #2

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Aris wrote:This will be fixed on next build. In fact CTRs bug is caused by a Firefox bug.
Firefox stopped setting tab attributes first-visible-tab/last-visible-tab on startup, when only one tab is available.

Thank you very much. =D>
About this Firefox bug, did you reported it already or should I do that?
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Aris

Post by Aris »

JimInSanDiego wrote:Is is possible to add a feature to choose the default background color for a tab and the background color when I am hovering over the tab? I can set text features but not tab color.

Background color settings are only available for the default theme. You are probably using a complete/full theme, if you don't see any for tabs on CTRs prefwindow.

Virtual_ManPL wrote:...
About this Firefox bug, did you reported it already or should I do that?

I have not reported that issue.
GermanKiwi

Post by GermanKiwi »

Aris wrote:
GermanKiwi wrote:...
Is there any chance you could give me the equivalent CSS code for reducing the top margin of the Nav Bar, instead of reducing the bottom margin of the Menu Bar? That might do the trick for me.

Thanks!

Sure, try this:

Code: Select all

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
#main-window[tabsontop="false"] #nav-bar {
   margin-top:-5px !important;
}

Thanks Aris. Unfortunately that didn't fully help either - I get the same problem as before, with the bottom part of the Menu hover button being chopped off, as in my previous screenshot (http://oi59.tinypic.com/2lcxn6g.jpg).

I've just tried playing around with different CSS configurations to try and get what I want to accomplish, but with no luck so far. I've installed DOM Inspector and Element Inspector to help me identify the different toolbar elements, and I tried removing the padding and margins around the Back button, the URL bar, and some other elements there, but without success. I wonder if you could help me identify the correct element and CSS to use?

First I added a red border around #urlbar-container, and a green border around #urlbar-wrapper, and a blue border around both #forward-button and #back-button, to help me visually see the size of these elements:

Then I also enabled the option in CTR for "Small buttons on the navigation toolbar", which gave me this result:

Here you can see that there is no padding between #urlbar-container and #urlbar-wrapper, which is great! This effectively makes the URL Bar sit higher up, closer to the Menu Bar above it, which is exactly what I want to achieve. However, I don't want to have a small nav button. I want the large, round, original nav button.

So next I disabled "Small buttons on the navbar", and I got this result:

This shows that there is a lot of padding between the border of #urlbar-container and the #urlbar-wrapper inside it. In other words, the height of #urlbar-container is too high. So this is what I would like to reduce.

This result made me suspect that the back button was pushing up the height of #urlbar-container, because the back button is bigger than the urlbar.

So next I set the padding and margins of #forward-button and #back-button to 0px. I got this:

So now, although you can see the padding around the large back button is gone, the overall height of #urlbar-container remains unchanged - ie. still too high, with some kind of padding inside it, so it's not sitting flush against #urlbar-wrapper or the back button. Do you know what is causing that? Why does #urlbar-container only sit flush against #urlbar-wrapper when I have enabled "small buttons on navbar"?

Any help you can give me here to remove that padding inside #urlbar-container would be appreciated!
mozillazinefor19#34_

Post by mozillazinefor19#34_ »

When I disable CTR the userchrome code snippet below works. How do I get it to work with CTR?

.sidebar-placesTreechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, container) { 
  background: red !important; /* test: are we getting here */
  list-style-image: none !important; /* remove bookmark folder */
  padding-right: 0px !important;
  margin: 0px 0px !important;
  width: 0px !important;
}

CTR: 1.2.6.1
Original question: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2892449
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Aris wrote:I have not reported that issue.
FYI - So I reported it here - Bug 1106435, I only hope it's not intended change... ](*,)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Aris

Post by Aris »

GermanKiwi wrote:...

Thanks Aris. Unfortunately that didn't fully help either - I get the same problem as before, with the bottom part of the Menu hover button being chopped off, as in my previous screenshot (http://oi59.tinypic.com/2lcxn6g.jpg).

I've just tried playing around with different CSS configurations to try and get what I want to accomplish, but with no luck so far. I've installed DOM Inspector and Element Inspector to help me identify the different toolbar elements, and I tried removing the padding and margins around the Back button, the URL bar, and some other elements there, but without success. I wonder if you could help me identify the correct element and CSS to use?

First I added a red border around #urlbar-container, and a green border around #urlbar-wrapper, and a blue border around both #forward-button and #back-button, to help me visually see the size of these elements:

Then I also enabled the option in CTR for "Small buttons on the navigation toolbar", which gave me this result:

http://oi60.tinypic.com/30ucy10.jpg

Here you can see that there is no padding between #urlbar-container and #urlbar-wrapper, which is great! This effectively makes the URL Bar sit higher up, closer to the Menu Bar above it, which is exactly what I want to achieve. However, I don't want to have a small nav button. I want the large, round, original nav button.

So next I disabled "Small buttons on the navbar", and I got this result:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2h5i4h1.jpg

This shows that there is a lot of padding between the border of #urlbar-container and the #urlbar-wrapper inside it. In other words, the height of #urlbar-container is too high. So this is what I would like to reduce.

This result made me suspect that the back button was pushing up the height of #urlbar-container, because the back button is bigger than the urlbar.

So next I set the padding and margins of #forward-button and #back-button to 0px. I got this:

http://oi58.tinypic.com/etxwmw.jpg

So now, although you can see the padding around the large back button is gone, the overall height of #urlbar-container remains unchanged - ie. still too high, with some kind of padding inside it, so it's not sitting flush against #urlbar-wrapper or the back button. Do you know what is causing that? Why does #urlbar-container only sit flush against #urlbar-wrapper when I have enabled "small buttons on navbar"?

Any help you can give me here to remove that padding inside #urlbar-container would be appreciated!

The bookmark items on menubar enlarge menubars vertical size. Unfortunately their height can not be changed without breaking/removing their "button-ui".

You can reduce navigation toolbars height, by changing toolbar button top/bottom padding values with this:

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
#nav-bar toolbarbutton{
  padding-top:1px !important;
  padding-bottom:1px !important;
}

mozillazinefor19#34_ wrote:When I disable CTR the userchrome code snippet below works. How do I get it to work with CTR?

}

Besides removing folder icons the code fails to do anything in my tests with and without CTR installed. Background color, padding, margin and width have no effect on sidebar items for me.

Provide some screenshots.

Virtual_ManPL wrote:... FYI - So I reported it here - Bug 1106435, I only hope it's not intended change... ](*,)

OK.
kulmegil

Post by kulmegil »

@Aris

Is it possible to add a tweak to make #nav-bar control window dragging - like menu bar does?
Last edited by kulmegil on November 30th, 2014, 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(just in case - sorry for my english)
mozillazinefor19#34_

Post by mozillazinefor19#34_ »

Aris wrote:
mozillazinefor19#34_ wrote:When I disable CTR the userChrome code snippet below works. How do I get it to work with CTR?

}

Besides removing folder icons the code fails to do anything in my tests with and without CTR installed. Background color, padding, margin and width have no effect on sidebar items for me.

Provide some screenshots.

It looks like it worked (although Bookmarks Menu is not expanded). The image on the right does not have the icon and the text is moved over. The image on the left does have the icon.

It is the yellow folders (containers) under "Bookmarks Menu" that I want to get rid of. It works when I disable CTR in my main profile but not when I enable CTR. It also works in a new Profile (thanks Profilist for making it super easy). By work I mean the yellow folder is not there (expand Bookmarks Menu to see) and the text is moved left. I don't want to touch the favicon icons that are on the actual bookmark links. Sorry, I don't have a 3rd party account to add my own attachment.

UPDATE: FOUND THE CTR Option that prevents userchrome from working

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Create a new profile.
  2. Add only Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.6.1, Profilist 1.2, and the userchrome.css.
  3. Ctrl+B to open the bookmarks in the side panel. Expand Bookmarks Menu and at least one other Folder that contains folders and links, so you can see the effects of the userChrome working. There should be no blue or yellow folders and the text is next to the twisty --- Twisty - name.
  4. Enable "General UI" -> "Replace generic (empty and dotted) favicon with sheet favicon".
  5. Restart Firefox. The Bookmarks in the side panel are still open and the folders are back.
    So it is --- twisty - folder - name.
  6. Disable "General UI" -> "Replace generic (empty and dotted) favicon with sheet favicon".
  7. Restart Firefox. The Bookmarks in the side panel are still open and the folders are gone; Twisty - name.
I went through CTR options one at a time and restarted Firefox (Thanks to ghacks.net article about Shift+F2, restart --nocache) each time. As soon as I enabled "General UI" and restarted, the folders were visible; Disable "General UI" and restarted, the folders were gone (userChrome worked). I definitely need this userChrome to work, and can live without this option set, but it would be nice to have them both work.
Are folders really favicons?

I hope this helps pin it down.

Only thing in userChrome is:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, container) {
  background: red !important;
  list-style-image: none !important;
}
gulliver2

Post by gulliver2 »

Anyone think it would be nice if CTR reverted the new search box behaviour to the former selection method? Use the default search 95% of the time. Prefer to manually select alternate search. Now, can only select an alternate search after typing search term. Counter-intuitive, I think. Would be great if FF devs left us an about:config option for this, but I'm not betting on it.
Aris

Post by Aris »

kulmegil wrote:@Aris

Is it possible to add a tweak to make #nav-bar control window dragging - like menu bar does?

It is possible, but the area around the buttons does not work in most cases. Try to click above/below the urlbar.

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
#nav-bar {
  -moz-binding: url("chrome://browser/content/customizableui/toolbar.xml#toolbar-drag") !important;
}

mozillazinefor19#34_ wrote:...

It looks like it worked (although Bookmarks Menu is not expanded). The image on the right does not have the icon and the text is moved over. The image on the left does have the icon.

It is the yellow folders (containers) under "Bookmarks Menu" that I want to get rid of. It works when I disable CTR in my main profile but not when I enable CTR. It also works in a new Profile (thanks Profilist for making it super easy). By work I mean the yellow folder is not there (expand Bookmarks Menu to see) and the text is moved left. I don't want to touch the favicon icons that are on the actual bookmark links. Sorry, I don't have a 3rd party account to add my own attachment.

UPDATE: FOUND THE CTR Option that prevents userchrome from working

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Create a new profile.
  2. Add only Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.6.1, Profilist 1.2, and the userchrome.css.
  3. Ctrl+B to open the bookmarks in the side panel. Expand Bookmarks Menu and at least one other Folder that contains folders and links, so you can see the effects of the userChrome working. There should be no blue or yellow folders and the text is next to the twisty --- Twisty - name.
  4. Enable "General UI" -> "Replace generic (empty and dotted) favicon with sheet favicon".
  5. Restart Firefox. The Bookmarks in the side panel are still open and the folders are back.
    So it is --- twisty - folder - name.
  6. Disable "General UI" -> "Replace generic (empty and dotted) favicon with sheet favicon".
  7. Restart Firefox. The Bookmarks in the side panel are still open and the folders are gone; Twisty - name.
I went through CTR options one at a time and restarted Firefox (Thanks to ghacks.net article about Shift+F2, restart --nocache) each time. As soon as I enabled "General UI" and restarted, the folders were visible; Disable "General UI" and restarted, the folders were gone (userChrome worked). I definitely need this userChrome to work, and can live without this option set, but it would be nice to have them both work.
Are folders really favicons?

I hope this helps pin it down.

Only thing in userChrome is:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, container) {
}

Most css codes in userChrome.css can not override CTRs css code. Stylish add-on can register css code on a more powerful level compared to userChrome.css and should be used instead (---> first post of this thread).

Your code works for me in Stylish using /*AGENT_SHEET*/ comment even with "Replace generic (empty and dotted) favicon with sheet favicon" enabled.

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
}

gulliver2 wrote:Anyone think it would be nice if CTR reverted the new search box behaviour to the former selection method? Use the default search 95% of the time. Prefer to manually select alternate search. Now, can only select an alternate search after typing search term. Counter-intuitive, I think. Would be great if FF devs left us an about:config option for this, but I'm not betting on it.

Go to about:config, set browser.search.showOneOffButtons to false and restart Firefox.
This will disable the new seach api.

Latest CTR beta already offers this switch (without a description).
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Aris wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:Bug:
Close tab button is added on the fist Firefox run when only one tab is shown on the start.
It hides itself properly when you open second tab and close it.

Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.7beta2 Tabs setting:
-Tab Close - On all tabs (forced) *
-Hide for one visible tab - enabled
-Close window with last visible tab (about:config) - enabled
This will be fixed on next build. In fact CTRs bug is caused by a Firefox bug.
Firefox stopped setting tab attributes first-visible-tab/last-visible-tab on startup, when only one tab is available.
Nooooooooooooooo...

the old bug reappear
Virtual_ManPL wrote:@Aris - Hmmm... looks like it's fixed either in Nightly or in Classic Theme Restorer,
as I can't reproduce it anymore with Nightly 36.0a1 (2014-11-21) and Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.6

but to reproduce it:
1. Have only one tab open in the Firefox window
2. Open 1 or more tabs in the background
and close button on the first tab won't be visible, to see it you need to select other tab, so the tab view will be refreshed and close tab button will be added also to the fist tab

Classic Theme Restorer settings:
Tab close - On all tabs (forced)
Hide for one visible tab - enabled
Virtualfox persona
Aris

Post by Aris »

The close issues are all related to the not properly set "first-visible-tab/last-visible-tab" attributes.

After Fx startup with only one tab the tab has "first-tab" & "last-tab" attributes. Opening another tab in the background also adds "first-visible-tab" attribute to the first tab without changing the previous ones, although the first tab is obviously not the last one anymore. Before you ask, no, this Firefox behavior does not make any sense for me either. ;-)

Looking at the attribute madness, I might have found a temporal workaround. Try this build:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e8yvzkjtlc1hnq/CTR_v127r25.xpi?dl=0
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Aris - Looks fixed. Thank you very much! =D>
Virtualfox persona
cfoellmann

Post by cfoellmann »

Are there any plans to save the settings in the Firefox Sync service? Would be great.
It is not really pressing since the settings do not change often (if at all) but it would still be great to get everything set up when installing a new FF.

P.S.: This threat is really extrem and it is next to impossible (due to a bad search) to see if a problem is already discussed/fixed or new. A bug tracker would be a big plus.
You could open a GitHub repo to manage issues. You do not need to use it to host your source code (although I do not see why not) and only use it for its issue tracker.
Have a look at this repo https://github.com/dennisreimann/ioctocat for example. Dennis uses the repo for issue tracking only and provides easy access to the changelogs.

If you have any questions about starting on GitHub look me up at https://github.com/cfoellmann