Fx 34 / Trouble with Flashblock starting 19 Aug

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Fx 34 / Trouble with Flashblock starting 19 Aug

Post by joeg »

streetwolf wrote:Joe...

Here's the bug I reported the problem 1052480 – Add-ons Flashblock and FlashStopper conflict with Bug 1050049. The solution was given near the bottom of the thread. I just needed to figure out where to add this new parameter in FB.
Thanks streetwolf. I've added a couple of comments to the bug.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

Hi Streetwolf, I also have problems with your version of Flashblock. However, no-script works fine for me.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

dbcooper.dk wrote:Hi Streetwolf, I also have problems with your version of Flashblock. However, no-script works fine for me.

Like what?
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

Videos on the youtube site don't work, and on forums youtube embeds don't show.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Just out of interest, there's a new Flash beta, but I still can't view videos on my site.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flas ... ashplayer/

@dbcooper.dk: would you please try this video from my website (it's a movie of my cats :? ), and report whether it works? Thanks very much.
http://edu-net.net/media/balcony/

Cool: One nice result of all this is that I've just re-read the instructions for FlashBlock and noticed that I had added the name of my website to the whitelist in the wrong format, which is why this part of the puzzle wasn't working. Now I've got it right, so I can watch the videos. :)

Of course, this doesn't resolve the fundamental issue.
Last edited by joeg on August 21st, 2014, 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

dbcooper.dk wrote:Videos on the youtube site don't work, and on forums youtube embeds don't show.

Link to an embed that does not work for you ?
shape5

Post by shape5 »

I actually notified Flashblock about this thru their form (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/contact.html) but didn't get a response. i see it hasn't been updated since early 2013 though. many sites will not load Flash if i have Flashblock enabled, and the whitelisting does not work.

many thanks for the fix, streetwolf! just installed this & i can confirm it works on YouTube, Spotify, Soundcloud, & Beatport.
StyxKee

Post by StyxKee »

streetwolf wrote:I'm not the author of FB but I knew how to fix it. Grab my fixed version here.... http://1drv.ms/1q0dV5V

Many thanks! Your fix to FlashBlock works well for Nightly x64 Build 20140830030204. Will check for latest Nightly.

JoeG wrote:Just out of interest, there's a new Flash beta, but I still can't view videos on my site.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flas ... ashplayer/

@dbcooper.dk: would you please try this video from my website (it's a movie of my cats :? ), and report whether it works? Thanks very much.
http://edu-net.net/media/balcony/

Cool: One nice result of all this is that I've just re-read the instructions for FlashBlock and noticed that I had added the name of my website to the whitelist in the wrong format, which is why this part of the puzzle wasn't working. Now I've got it right, so I can watch the videos. :)

Of course, this doesn't resolve the fundamental issue.

Hmmm, I clicked on the Play button and nothing works on the Nightly Build. Nvm, adding to whitelist works. Thanks for the tip.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Just for the record, I'm using the FX 35 (64-bit Nightly of 04 Sep), streetwolf's fixed version of FlashBlock, the latest NoScript, and Flash beta v. 15.0.0.144. I have the Flash plugin set to "Ask to Activate"
StyxKee wrote:Hmmm, I clicked on the Play button and nothing works on the Nightly Build. Nvm, adding to whitelist works. Thanks for the tip.
The only thing I have added to the FB whitelist is my own site. And I have lots of other extensions (over thirty), but I think they're irrelevant here.

I'll relate my YouTube experience here.

1. I go to YouTube and pick a vid I want. (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_dQk9iaSY)
2. The normal interface opens. The FB arrow is in the middle of the vid window as it should be.
3. Just above the YouTube interface, the Fx plugin manager asks "Allow www.YouTube.come to run 'Adobe Flash?" There are two buttons to the right that say "Continue Blocking" and "Allow".
4. I click "Allow" and get another message to "Allow Now" or "Allow and Remember Choice".
5. I click "Allow Now, and the video starts.

P.S. YouTube theater view doesn't work, but this has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
EShirou

Post by EShirou »

Since Firefox 34 just came out, Flashblock stopped working, I googled and was redirected here, links are dead and there really are no solution for this yet. Can someone repost the updated addon on mozilla so we all can use it again? (I am talking about flash block addon, since the original pretty much I think has been abandoned)

So please share you fixed version of this addon again. (and Thank You in advance if you do :3 )
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Here's the link to my modified FlashBlock... http://1drv.ms/1yymcSB . I keep deleting it for some reason. I'll keep my hands off of it. I also modified it to install on e10s. In any case it will show up as 1.5.18. I am having problems with FB and e10s. Sometimes a video won't play. You're going to have to get the author to fix it.
Last edited by rsx11m on December 5th, 2014, 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added a space after the link to avoid copy-pasting the dot
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
EShirou

Post by EShirou »

yaaay~ Thank You! It works, also you should upload it to official addon page, why I am telling it because it has been clear for me for a few years already that the original author has plainly abandoned the addon a very very very long time ago, We just lucked out that it has been working for all those years, but time has come that it suddenly stopped.
shape5

Post by shape5 »

is there another add-on that is comparable to Flashblock? seems we probably won't be able to use it much longer...
EShirou

Post by EShirou »

shape5 wrote:is there another add-on that is comparable to Flashblock? seems we probably won't be able to use it much longer...

No there isn't anything, and click to play in firefox isn't comfortable to use anymore and managing it's whitelist is pain in the arse.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

shape5 wrote:is there another add-on that is comparable to Flashblock? seems we probably won't be able to use it much longer...

Firefox Addons Manager > Plugins Tab > beside ShockWave Flash Plugin select "Ask to Activate".
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/