Web Panels

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
DonPete

Re: _main support

Post by DonPete »

Leonard wrote:Yes, i agree with tve, why just don't call it "sidebar" ? Simple and clear.

The problem with just calling it "Sidebar" is that there are other sidebars than Web Panels/Page Holder, like the Bookmarks Sidebar and History Sidebar. Simply calling this "Sidebar" would be more confusing than either Web Panels or Page Holder, <abbr title="In My Opinion">IMO</abbr>. If we call it "Sidebar," then the term Sidebar can refer to either this specific sidebar, or to the Sidebar in general. Calling it the Web Panels Sidebar or the Page Holder Sidebar holds much less potential for confusion.
U5f/vln<N?{%5cVr8.KT7z

Post by U5f/vln<N?{%5cVr8.KT7z »

Sure, we can also call it Page Holder or Web Panels, no problem.
I only want to see this nice killer feature fully implemented in Firebird.
banjobacon!

Post by banjobacon! »

Does anyone thing the dropdown menu could be moved up to the header? It could be kind of like the button used in the Webbar extension, but on the header itself. It would be small, so it wouldn't get in the way of the title, and it would allow for a tad bit more vertical space. Also, it could toggle between any other sidebar, not just web panels.

Good idea? Anyone?
mozdave

Page Holder vs. Sidebar Bookmarks

Post by mozdave »

The Page Holder and Sidebar Bookmarks are two different features. They are not the same sidebar panel. The former is just a way of holding transient pages briefly. It includes a toolbar that allows you to grab the current browser page or to create a new sidebar bookmark.

Sidebar bookmarks load in their own sidebar panels (not in the Page Holder). The feature is completely independent of the Page Holder. (The Page Holder provides one of several ways to create a Sidebar Bookmark, but it is not the primary viewing point for "permanent" sidebar bookmarks).

The old implementation mixed these two concepts together, which meant you'd show a sidebar bookmark and have an "Add Panel" button that was meaningless (since you obviously don't want to add a bookmark you just opened).
mozdave

Page Holder

Post by mozdave »

At the moment, I'm considering just dropping the Page Holder.
tseelee

Re: What use besides blogging?

Post by tseelee »

Goldzilla wrote:Were you looking for strictly quotes or charts?

Just quotes for now. I was hoping for a use for myself for the web panel feature.

Goldzilla wrote:Most of the online brokerages offer a streamer or streamer source for free.

Unfortunately, I don't have nearly enough for that. I know it'd be very nice, tho. ;-)
Goldzilla

Re: What use besides blogging?

Post by Goldzilla »

tseelee wrote:
Goldzilla wrote:Were you looking for strictly quotes or charts?

Just quotes for now. I was hoping for a use for myself for the web panel feature.

Goldzilla wrote:Most of the online brokerages offer a streamer or streamer source for free.

Unfortunately, I don't have nearly enough for that. I know it'd be very nice, tho. ;-)

Take a look at http://www.geocities.com/mmoy/side_indices.html

The Oil and Natural Gas contracts have expired [my local page has it correct] but you get the idea.
In general, it's easier to get charts than quotes that you can inline into a page than it is to get
formatted quotes.
Goldzilla

Re: Page Holder

Post by Goldzilla »

mozdave wrote:At the moment, I'm considering just dropping the Page Holder.

Out of curiousity, what do you think of Piro's Content Holder? I use it all the time and sometimes the Firebird Sidebar too when I need bookmarks.

http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_co ... er.html.en

There are a few features that I'd like added but it is quite usable as is.
nilson

Post by nilson »

NO!!! :puppydogeyes:
DonPete

Post by DonPete »

nilson wrote:

NO!!! :puppydogeyes:

Too late, it's already gone in the trunk.
nilson

Post by nilson »

WTF? He didn't even ask anyone!
JC

Post by JC »

I know! I was looking forward to all the blogging!
DonPete

Post by DonPete »

Well, the Sidebar Bookmarks are still there. But the Page Holder is gone.
mozdave

Page Holder Removed

Post by mozdave »

Yes, I removed the Page Holder. I do not think it adds any value above what's already implemented for Sidebar Bookmarks. Basically the idea of "transient" pages being placed in a holder makes little sense when the pages themselves aren't slim-lined or designed for display in the holder. If you want to keep a page around for easy access, tabs already solve that particular problem.
David James

Post by David James »

I didn't find Page Holder all that useful... it's main use was as a way to gather up Sidebar bookmarks, but that can be done through the regular Bookmarks management anyway. It would be nice though if the Add Bookmark dialog contained the checkbox to turn it into a Sidebar bookmark...

Anyway, I quite like this new concept. It's already allowed me to get around a site that uses javascript to open just about every link (thus preventing opening in tabs). With this, I can have the main page in the sidebar and then open those links in tabs by simply creating tabs in the main browser window. Brilliant! I've also found new use for the bookmarks toolbar icon, which used to be rather useless as I always had the bookmarks sidebar open and nothing else.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3